Long range build ideas

robbor

Id like to build a long range rig, I really want a bat 2x10 with about a 36 tube but thinking something lighter would be better. Id like to stay with the 2" Bat and then just scale everything down and get it into the 20-25# area. I was thinking of a 300 Lapua Ai shortened .1 or .2. Anyways please give me your suggestions. Id really like to have 1200-1500 yard capability and be able to fire more rounds per string while hunting. Possably even then switch the action between this rifle and one closer to 40# better setup for bench work.

If your going with a 30 cal then I's either just use the Lapua Improved or even blow the shoulder forward a bit to get a little bit more case capacity. But for a 1500yd gun you may want to look at the 338 cal rounds , the 338 Lpaua Improved will give you longer barrel life and more energy on target for hunting. Another option with an action that size is the 408 based rounds like the 338-408 Improved , 338 Allen mag and such these are running the 300 gr sierra match kings out at close to 3500fps !! and that makes for one hell of a long range rig ,Joel Russo just printed a target with 4 shots in a sub 4" group at a mile with a 338-408 wild cat.

Either case the 2x10 Bat is a monster action and it weighs a ton ,you could drop down to a 1.6" action and still shoot all the rounds mentioned above and still have enough action strength to support a 30" full bull barrel yet cut probably a pound off the weight.

For a hunting rifle capable of taking game beyond 1,000 yards I really like to jump into the .338 caliber cartridges. I'm not sure why your concerned about firing more rounds per string while hunting, we all make one shot kills here right ;) A 2" BAT action with a 1.250" straight taper barrel 36" long will still need a barrel block. You can fit them into a McMillan 50 cal light gun stock and topped with a scope you'll still end up little over 25lbs. If you go to my website at this link Montour County Rifles and look on the home page, upper left corner is a .338-.378 Weatherby on a 1.500" Wolfe Action, 1.250" straight taper barrel 34" long with a brake, barrel blocked, McMillan 50 cal light gun stock and a Leupold 8.5-25 x 50. It weighs 23lbs. If your looking to build a rifle around this weight I imagine your not far from the vehicle when shooting. Why not just build it to what you'd like for "bench work" and be done. For the bigger calibers the heavier weight will help reduce the felt recoil. For .30 caliber the .30-.378 Weatherby, .300 Lapua, .300 Ultra Mag, .30-.338 Winchester, or .300 Weatherby with 240 SMK's will get you out there with plenty of energy to the ranges you'd like. If you want to still reach out there and then some jump up to .338 cal. The .338-.300 Ultra Mag (aka .338 Edge), .338-.378 Weatherby, .338-.416 Rigby, .338-.408 Cheytec all are great choices for ultra long range work.
The .300 Lapua AI shortened you mentioned would work, but why go through the headaches of more brass prep work if you don't need to. If you like the .300 Lapua AI I'd reccomend just shoot that. Load up the .300 Lapua and blow out the shoulder.
What are you hunting at this range?

Last edited:
Robber, could you explain your statement "be able to fire more rounds per string while hunting" i'm not quite sure i understand what you mean by this.

my thoughs are

A little less powder should allow another shot or two to produce the same heat.
I like to sit on the top of a hill and glass a large valley and often will have quite a few shots at rabbits quite fun to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts