long range AND carry rifle

mtmuley

I'd like to know everyones thoughts on a rifle suited for long shots that are reasonable with a carry around rifle of no more than 9 lbs with scope. What cartridge/rifle combo, scope if you desire, would fit the bill? A mobile long range rifle is what I am after. mtmuley

If you are looking for a factory setup, I would look at the Kimber 84 series Montana. The short action(non mag) are listed at 5lbs 5oz and the long action & wsm are listed at 6lbs 9oz and 6lbs 3oz, respectively. Should leave plenty of room for basses, rings and scope. I have heard of a custom gun made out of titanium that is supposed to be supper light, but I don't even want to know what the price tag of that thing is. As for caliber, if it is for deer under 600 yards, you could likely get away with a standard action caliber. If you are going after elk or for longer ranges, you could go with a 300mag, 338mag or 300wsm in that series of rifle. Hope that helped some.

Jerry

My carry/LRH gun is a Rem 700 338 RUM with brake and modified stock. Not quite down to 9#s but close enough. Special sling makes it convenient to carry with a lessened 'felt weight'. The RUM will reach out there pretty good and has some smack with the 300 SMK at 2700+ FPS.

I did an experiment and ended up with exactly that type gun. I wanted a 300 WSM and light enough carry gun.

I wanted to see if a stock Rem SPS in 300 WSM would fit the same bill. I restocked it with a Bruce Baer thumbhole in butternut (2.5 lbs), pillar bedded. The barrel was rough on the inside and coppered like crazy also, so I firelapped it too. The barrel just would not go under 1" with any load.

Put on in-stock #4 Lilja 26" on it and Wyatts box. Trued the front of the rcvr, lapped the lugs, trigger at 2 lbs only. Hated to spend money truing a factory rcvr, but I wanted to carry this thing through.

I put a Kahles 3-9x with TDS reticle and it can go to almost 700 with zero adjustments on the dials.

Weight is 8.4 lbs with scope, sling and loaded and does .5 in groups now. Handles fabulous from the shoulder and bipod too. Love the thumbholes.

IMO a 300 WSM is a perfect cartridge for that type gun. 180s at 3000+, no need for a brake and very accurate cartridge.

Now if money is no concern, ha ha, go to New Ultra light Arms website, in WVA and Melvin Forbes makes a 6 lb WSM that is the Roll Royce of carry rifles somes with bases and rings. Cost is about $2600, on the shelf and ready to go. I have had 3 of his guns and they are all 3/4" or less and dreams to carry and shoot.

Alas, someone has always come along with lots of money and walked away with them.

BH

My idea of the perfect rifle like the one you are discribing is one I built for myself to be my 0 to 800 yard packing rifle.

10212006_Pronghorn_7mm_AM_730_yards-med.jpg

Here is a pic of it with the pronghorn I took with it this past fall with a 730 yard one shot kill.

The specs on the rifle are as follows:

Tured Rem 700 CM receiver
Lilja #3 27" 1-9 SS barrel
DE small diameter muzzle brake
HS Precision Sporter stock
HS Precision DM system
RB 1.5-3 lb trigger
Teflon coated flat black
Burris two piece DD bases
Burris DD signature rings
Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x 40mm FFP TMR reticle
Scopelevel
Harris bipod
7mm Allen Magnum chambering
200 gr ULD RBBT at 3150 fps

Total rifle weight is right at 9.5 lbs as you see it. Ballistically, there are very few rifles that will even come close to this rifle unless you go with a longer barreled 7mm AM or jump up to the 408 CT based wildcats. I have to use a BC of .880 with this particular rifle and load to get predicted drop charts to match up with actual bullet flight. So you can run the numbers on a .88 BC bullet at 3150 fps and see what it will do.

I can pack it all day long and did many days during pronghorn season including a 7 mile hike one day and the rifle was not a problem at all to carry. I am not a little guy, 6'3", 205 lbs but not overly large either. Any relatively in shape man could easily pack this rifle all day long.

The chambering was chosen for a couple reasons. Because its one of mine for starters!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But also because its on the top of the pile for ballistic performance. Also, its windy where I hunt, all the time!! So a very high BC bullet driven to good velocities is a must.

A wildcat is not a requirement as there are many fine factory chamberings that will do what you need. If you do not want a brake, you will be wise to stay in the class of the WSM or standard belted magnum if you want rifle weight to be much under 8 lbs. If you are not opposed to a muzzle brake, the RUMs really become a fine option for long range packing rifles.

Accuracy wise, a rifle like the one above will not run with a semi heavy rifle but this rifle will easily hold 3/4 moa out to 900 yards. If I intend to hunt in an area where longer ranges may be a possibility, I will take a heavier rifle simply because they are easier to shoot at longer ranges. Not nessesarily more accurate, just easier to shoot accurately.

Optics wise, I feel for a lightweight rifle, the Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x 40mm is nearly impossible to beat. The NF scopes are great but not suited for lightweight rifles. This Mk 4 is very light and with the FFP reticle, it is extremely functional for long range hunting using the ballistic reticle for reference hold point in the field at any power range, something you can not do with a conventional scope with the reticle on the second focal plane.

Bases and rings, I like all steel personally for a lightweight rifle. The reason is because dimensionally, the rings and bases will be pretty small anyway, I like DD bases and rings and the Burris Signature DD rings are the best I have used. They give up windage adjustment but are strong as can be and with a scope like this you will have more then enough adjustment to get easily zeroed. With a custom rifle, there should not be much adjustment needed for windage anyway.

That is my idea of the perfect packing rifle that offers legit 1/2 mile reach yet can be packed all day long and as weather proof as you can get.

Kirby Allen(50)

Fiftydriver
Is that weight with or without the bipod?
Nice setup

I'm building a field carry gun for big game, dangerous game at longer ranges. I am starting with a SAK0 TRG-S in the .338 Lapua mag. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a 7MMRM for the other Vermin at shorter ranges say under 500

Thats with the bipod but realize its the standard Harris, not the heavier S model and its the second to smallest model as well. I believe its the 9-13" model.

Kirby Allen(50)

I dont have any pics of it yet but Kirby is building me what should turn out to be one hell of a packing wieght long range rig.

Trued Savage reciever
28" #5 contour Lilja Fluted bbl
DE Brake
Rifle Basix trigger 1lb
McMillan Lightwieght Desert Camo stock
Teflon Coated Tan
NF 3.5-15x50mm NPR-1
NF Ultra Lite Rings
Chambered 270AM

In my last 30" bbl 270AM i was able to push the 169.5uld wildcat fast enough that with a .740BC it only took me 14.5 MOA of elevation adjustment from a 100yd to thump a bullseye at 1000yds. I never chorono it but it was trottin right along!! Now this was a very very hot load and definantly not recommended especially in summer.

Should be a pretty slick lookin rifle when its said and done. If i manage to get the berries up for it i will have the NF scope painted to match the rest of it, kinda scared to paint a scope that expensive.

take it easy
steve

+2. Melvin Forbes NULA is the cat's meow for a carryng rifle. My ULA in .284 Win is my "go-to" mountain/sheep rig.
Dave

Thanks guys for the info. I'm just hashing some ideas around as I have a couple actions that are just gathering dust. I have questions on these actions I will post also. Hey Kirby, If me and my buds draw our antelope tags for North of Shelby, I'd like to stop by and chat. We drive right by where you are coming from Corvallis. mtmuley

Just give me a heads up when you are coming through. We can run out back and hammer some steel at 500 yards with the lightweight (17 lbs) 338 AM. Will put a smile on everyones face!!!!! You can also play with several other rifles to see if there is anything I make that would serve your needs. I am sure we could find something!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

I'll do it. We drew last year, but odds in that area are about 50%, so I am holding out hope. Sure would like to check out those rifles in person. I have alot of family up there, so I might just stop by anyway. Thanks, mtmuley

mtmulie,

We better draw, it's too much fun. If we don't, we'll stop on our way to the breaks in Nov. I don't want to miss Kirby's guns.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.