Long action round in a short action

jsmitt6

I think I know the answer to this but wanted to check with people who are smarter than I. Hypothetically, I could run a long action cartridge (300 win mag, 30 nosler, etc) in a short action (magnum bolt face), correct? I understand it would be single feed and would not fit any box mag or BDL style magazine.. Am I wrong? What am I missing?

I imagine that the action would have to be notched ( 1/2 moon) as is the Weatherby action to make ejection work. Just a thought.

I have a 7WSM built on a short action. I have to hit the bolt release to pull the bolt back far enough to eject the live round. Minor inconvenience But make it work.

The only thing I'd look into if running a Remington SA is a Wyatt's Baney box and maybe a 300 WSM/ 215 Berger or such. The magbox is something like 3.100".

I pull the ejectors so the case extracts but just sits there so removing a live round is easier. I've done the long round in short action frequently since I like to single sled anyway.

Like ^ with not as many words as below.

Should the rifle have a spring pushed blade type ejector the ejector will contact the base of the loaded round but the loaded round might not be ejected because the bullet won't clear the receiver ring. This will prevent the bolt from being removed from the rifle. Should this happen the remedy is to push the back of the round into the magazine and remove round with fingers after removing bolt or push the ejector back alllowing the bolt with extractor gripping cartridge rim to be removed, this might entail removing the stock. Rifle examples include controlled feed actions such as the Ruger M77 MKII, CF M70 Winchesters, & M98 type Mausers.

Short actions that are modified for single shot use with long rounds will work if the ejector is removed. Fired rounds can be flipped out with a finger. Unfired rounds can be unloaded by removing the bolt.

No problem with actions/bolts having plunger type ejectors - just remove bolt.

IMG_1418.JPG
Ruger M77 MKII with SLED. ^

If I wanted to use this short action .22-.250, M77 MKII with '06 length or some other length rounds I would remove the blade type ejector. This M77 MKII is one of the first MKII's made that has a non rotating extractor (like M98) but is a push feed. Ejector can be gripped or pushed back to allow loaded rounds to be unloaded by removing bolt. Been there & done that by pushing ejector away from brass with a small screw driver without removing stock.

Last edited: