Loaning a suppressor on private property?

my queston is WHY do you need a Suppressor ?????? the animal should be dead way before the sound ever gets to him. 1 Shot, One 1 Kill

My question is why do people have to question other people's reason for a legal activity?

My usual response to questions like that because I can.

To the OP, I live in Texas and use suppressors hunting. We've had a GW in camp at least twice every season. They have never questioned anyone about suppressors. Now I can't recall an instance where there was more than one suppressed weapon in plain view.

That said the letter of the regulations say all NFA items must be under the direct control/supervision of the person or entity that owns the asset or any person on the trust if using a trust or other entity.

The chances of anything happening is likely very low but to me it's not worth the risk. YMMV.

Is it worth the risk of both you and the "borrower" being charged with a Felony and loosing many of your rights? The laws on suppressors are pretty clear as previously stated. You are the only one who is licensed to possess it. "Loose lips sink ships". The Federal Govt. works on a different standard than State LEO's. Heresay is admissible in federal court. If someone decides to let the Feds know, it can cause you a world of headaches. How do I know? 41 years in Law Enforcement, State and County.

Any clue what the law says about loaning a suppressor to a friend or guest on private property? To be clear this would be on a large TX ranch where the Can will not ever leave the property. More or less going from the camp to the blind. Thanks

Joe S

Joe,

When in doubt go directly to the source of who is going to have the ultimate authority to enforce that law in your state. I have consulted the law enforcement side of the FWP a few times for clarification that our state hunting regulation does not cover or very vague.

The bottom-line, you have the ultimate ownership responsibility and consequences associated with it.

Good luck!

Ed

Last edited:
^^^^^
This is my understanding also, unless the person is on the Trust.
Around here, I have yet to hear of any LE or Game Warden asking for paperwork on a can. Does not mean it has not happened, just unaware.
That said, the chances of an ATF agent patrolling your hunting property is probably slim.
I do load dev for people at times, this summer I got pulled over by an HP, friends rifle with a can standing upright against the front passenger seat, I am out of bounds here. Not even a 2nd glance from him.

Any clue what the law says about loaning a suppressor to a friend or guest on private property? To be clear this would be on a large TX ranch where the Can will not ever leave the property. More or less going from the camp to the blind. Thanks

Joe S
You absolutely must be in possession unless you have a name on a trust. You can put as many names as you want on the trust, but they are the ONLY ONES who can be in possession, anywhere they want, away from you. It's no doubt a felony offense, don't do it my friend! (I own one also)

Joe S
If you have an NFA Trust you should complete an addendum authorizing your friend or relative to be in possession of the suppressor. Private or public land makes no difference as it was previously stated it must be in your possession at all times. The Trust allows for exceptions only through an addendum which only requires the signature of the Trustee.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.