Loading Hammer Hunter Question

Besides the work on the seating stem mentioned above, it would be good to consider a faster powder. The Hammer bullets use lighter engraving pressure and that can cause the powders to burn slightly slower than expected. To make up for that, a person should try a slightly faster powder.

For the above load I would recommend trying H4895. The H4895 will probably result in a smaller overall volume of powder, and less resistance to the bullet seating. It may not completely remove the seater mark, but it will lessen it.

I get excellent loads with H4895 and the AbsoluteHammer 151grain, though admittedly a lighter bullet than the 166gnHH.

Besides the work on the seating stem mentioned above, it would be good to consider a faster powder. The Hammer bullets use lighter engraving pressure and that can cause the powders to burn slightly slower than expected. To make up for that, a person should try a slightly faster powder.

For the above load I would recommend trying H4895. The H4895 will probably result in a smaller overall volume of powder, and less resistance to the bullet seating. It may not completely remove the seater mark, but it will lessen it.

I get excellent loads with H4895 and the AbsoluteHammer 151grain, though admittedly a lighter bullet than the 166gnHH.
Awesome thanks for the good info!

Loaded some test loads for .308 today using 166g HH over Varget. I was using some of my grandfathers older Lyman dies and I'm getting a slight ring around the top say, third of the bullet when seating to COL (2.80). Am I doing something wrong? I've been wanting to upgrade that does set to a Redding master hunter but do I also need to get a VLD seating stem as well?
Yes , better seating stem, or new set of dies for what your loading.

Another vote for bedding seating stems.

With the Redding dies I use, they sometimes grab the hammers and won't release easily on the upstroke after seating. Bedding solves this as well as engraving.
Tomjoad, can you give me a quick run down in the bedding process?

Loaded some test loads for .308 today using 166g HH over Varget. I was using some of my grandfathers older Lyman dies and I'm getting a slight ring around the top say, third of the bullet when seating to COL (2.80). Am I doing something wrong? I've been wanting to upgrade that does set to a Redding master hunter but do I also need to get a VLD seating stem as well?
That's the same problem we see when seating VLD type bullets with a standard seating stem.

Your stem could be dirty or it may have just been made so long ago it isn't appropriate for modern bullets as it was made for more rounded spire points.

PM Steve at Hammer bullets and see what he suggests but probably your easiest fix is a new seater.

That's the same problem we see when seating VLD type bullets with a standard seating stem.

Your stem could be dirty or it may have just been made so long ago it isn't appropriate for modern bullets as it was made for more rounded spire points.

PM Steve at Hammer bullets and see what he suggests but probably your easiest fix is a new seater.
Yeah I think it's just time to replace the old Lyman dies. Not sure if the age but guaranteed they are older than me! Thinking of going with the Redding Master hunter set. I've got the same for my 300 WSM and 280ai (which I hope to have finished sometime next year🤣)

Steve beds his stems with JB Weld, I do the same thing

I've only bedded a seater once. I used JB Weld. I coated the bullet ogive with unique sizing wax then installed it into the seating die. Then seated a bullet into a case and left the ram all the way home for the time it takes for the JB Weld to get firm not set. Then bring the cartridge back down from the seater. Let it set completely and it should match your bullet exactly.

I've only bedded a seater once. I used JB Weld. I coated the bullet ogive with unique sizing wax then installed it into the seating die. Then seated a bullet into a case and left the ram all the way home for the time it takes for the JB Weld to get firm not set. Then bring the cartridge back down from the seater. Let it set completely and it should match your bullet exactly.
Just make sure you do it with a round you've already checked the concentricity/runout on.

If you do, you'll also likely go a longways towards eliminating those problems in the future.