Loading Hammer Hunter Question

ncfireman83

Loaded some test loads for .308 today using 166g HH over Varget. I was using some of my grandfathers older Lyman dies and I'm getting a slight ring around the top say, third of the bullet when seating to COL (2.80). Am I doing something wrong? I've been wanting to upgrade that does set to a Redding master hunter but do I also need to get a VLD seating stem as well?

Attachments

• 855C34F9-558E-415C-ADDF-8709554909BD.jpeg
    855C34F9-558E-415C-ADDF-8709554909BD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 201
  • FECD1593-052D-412E-955B-27834F737310.jpeg
    FECD1593-052D-412E-955B-27834F737310.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 187
A better seating stem or seating die would definitely help. Lapping whatever stem you get will help too.

Also, using a powder drop tube will help, as I'm sure your load with Varget is compressed. So the bullet is giving more than the powder on that last bit of pressure when seating the bullet. A drop tube would help stack the powder in the case a bit tighter to reduce the compression. Seating out a bit longer would help too, if you can.

Check to be sure the die isn't screwed down too far too and applying a slight crimp to the case neck just before the bullet is fully seated. That can create or exacerbate the issue you're having too. Backing off the die a turn or two, or more, and then screwing down the stem as needed would be the solution there. Try that first at least.

Last edited:
Ok I'll try backing the die out a little and going down with the stem. I did have it set for Barnes TSX so didn't think this would happen

Good luck with it. I'd be interested in how you get along with it too.
I'll update it shortly…. I had about 45 minutes to do what I did today…. I have a daughter that players travel softball so we are getting last minute swings in now for a tournament tomorrow…. 🤣

The video is a good demonstration on what you need to do.

The only things that I did differently were:

1. Push the bullet into the seater as straight as possible without wobbling it around
2. Repeat the process with new lapping compound several times; slow and steady wins the race

This is just what worked for me. I'm sure others may have a different technique that works too.

Last edited:
I'll update it shortly…. I had about 45 minutes to do what I did today…. I have a daughter that players travel softball so we are getting last minute swings in now for a tournament tomorrow…. 🤣
Not bad for a quick shoot. 44.5g Varget with the 166 HH. Low flyer was me breathing and I knew it when I squeezed the round off. Gun did not like 45.5-46g at all though

Attachments

• F03DEC27-147E-4060-BD5F-A10C77FD091A.jpeg
    F03DEC27-147E-4060-BD5F-A10C77FD091A.jpeg
    499.9 KB · Views: 78
The copper we use is very soft and leaving a witness mark is not unusual. Yours looks excessive, like you are applying a lot of force to seat your bullets. Make sure you have a nice chamfer on the inside of the case mouth to ease the entry into the case.

The other things mentioned are all good advice. Before I could control my OCD I actually bedded a seater plug with JB Weld so that it perfectly matched the bullet I was seating. Worked very well, but will only match that bullet exactly. I have now learned to live with a little mark. Yours looks like it is actually distorting the ogive of the bullet, so we need to figure out why.

The copper we use is very soft and leaving a witness mark is not unusual. Yours looks excessive, like you are applying a lot of force to seat your bullets. Make sure you have a nice chamfer on the inside of the case mouth to ease the entry into the case.

The other things mentioned are all good advice. Before I could control my OCD I actually bedded a seater plug with JB Weld so that it perfectly matched the bullet I was seating. Worked very well, but will only match that bullet exactly. I have now learned to live with a little mark. Yours looks like it is actually distorting the ogive of the bullet, so we need to figure out why.
X-2

I do chamfer all cases but there is too much pressure being applied to the ogive of these hammers. I used the same dies for a Barnes TSX without issue so I'm thinking I will upgrade my .308 die set and start there. These are very old and are pass downs from my grandfather who loaded thousands of rounds so it's probably time to put these in a display case!