Lightweight backpack hunter - convert 700 SPS or buy new?

$900 for the barrel and $600-800 for the stock depending on whether or not you get the aluminum frame.......Rich

Actually, the barrels are on sale right now at Stocky's for $799. I've been debating on buying one, but all the 7mm tubes are on backorder.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/barre...rels/proof-research-carbon-fiber-barrels.html

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...-remington-700-mcs-sl-super-light-hunter.html

Ask Rich what he thinks about the PR carbon barrels based on his customers' reports... :D

Actually, the barrels are on sale right now at Stocky's for $799. I've been debating on buying one, but all the 7mm tubes are on backorder.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/barre...rels/proof-research-carbon-fiber-barrels.html

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...-remington-700-mcs-sl-super-light-hunter.html

Ask Rich what he thinks about the PR carbon barrels based on his customers' reports... :D

They shoot very well, but they aren't as light as you might think! I bought a #3 brux fluted and saved a bunch of weight and a bigger bunch of $$$. Time will tell how it shoots?......Rich

What would you guess switching to this stock and barrel will save in weight typically - 1 lb or more???

To be honest; I don't think you would save much weight over what you currently have but the quality would be considerably better. The SPS stock is not very good quality, but is fairly light. You should try weighing it and see? A Manners elite hunter will weigh 24-28 oz. and about 4 oz. more if you get the bedding block. If I remember correctly, the Proof barrel weighs around 3 1/2 lbs., which probably is not too different than what you have. Is your barrel a 24" or 26", and what does it crown at? Unless your rifle is an exceptional shooter already, I would probably not put all that much in it because the barrel and action are not going to improve. You could buy an over the counter rifle like a Tikka and probably get a fairly light and good shooter. The other option is to go full custom and put whatever components you want. You will likely get a better shooter, but it will cost you. My light weight build will weigh around 6 1/2 to 6 3/4 lbs. field ready including the scope but it will have a TI action, 22" #3 fluted barrel, manners EH-4 stock, Talley or Hawkins two piece alum. mts. and a 15 oz. Swarovski scope. By the time the smith is paid, it will cost about &(^% per lb.!!...Rich

I just did some research on another site and someone weighed their SPS stock at 1 1/2 lbs. If that is true, you would save zero weight with a Manners.

Last edited:
....I just did some research on another site and someone weighed their SPS stock at 1 1/2 lbs. If that is true, you would save zero weight with a Manners.

Nice find - I wasn't having any luck finding that information...but it even further confirms what I've been thinking. Thanks!

You could shave some weight from that remington 700 but it will really cost you. I have a long action thats just getting finished right now. The action was lightened by removing any excess metal and turning down the diameter, the barrel replaced with a featherweight barrel, and the stock replaced with a wildcat composite light weight stock, 19oz. It should turn in just a tad over 7 pounds with a leupy 4.5-14x40 VXIII. About 6.75 pounds with s VXIII 2-8x36.

For the same money you could easily pick up a kimber montana in 300 WSM and be lighter. The tikka T3 is another good option for a light and accurate setup.

I have a T3 superlight fluted 1-8 223 with a VXII 3-9 CDS that is super accurate and light just under 7 lbs all up. I have a Kimber Montana in 308 with a VXIII 2.5-8x36 that just barely squeaks over 6 lbs all up. Its not quite as accurate as the Tikka but it will easily keep sub MOA out to 300 yards.

Forget the 700 action if you want a really light rifle. You can spend thousands and factory lightweights will still be lighter and just as accurate. Lot of mill work is needed on the action to lighten it up and that will cost. You will be lucky to make 6 lbs at the end and have spent minimum of $2000

Tikka lite $700 6.5 lbs

Savage lightweight hunter. $800 5.5 lbs Savages are known shooters and hard to beat.

Forbes light rifle $1500 5.5 lbs ready to go

Colt light rifle $650. This us copy of the Forbes ULA and were made by Colt, they are all long action but still on the market and can be sent back to Forbes for updating and still be lighter and less than a 700 conversion Will cost another $600 maybe and be 5.5 lbs He changes the stock to his proprietary 1 lbs kevlar, and a few other parts and sometimes a new barrel. Converted ones for sale bring around $1200 or so.

Remington Titanium $1800-2200 if you can find one. 5.5-6 lbs

You could shave some weight from that remington 700 but it will really cost you. I have a long action thats just getting finished right now. The action was lightened by removing any excess metal and turning down the diameter, the barrel replaced with a featherweight barrel, and the stock replaced with a wildcat composite light weight stock, 19oz. It should turn in just a tad over 7 pounds with a leupy 4.5-14x40 VXIII. About 6.75 pounds with s VXIII 2-8x36.

For the same money you could easily pick up a kimber montana in 300 WSM and be lighter. The tikka T3 is another good option for a light and accurate setup.

I have a T3 superlight fluted 1-8 223 with a VXII 3-9 CDS that is super accurate and light just under 7 lbs all up. I have a Kimber Montana in 308 with a VXIII 2.5-8x36 that just barely squeaks over 6 lbs all up. Its not quite as accurate as the Tikka but it will easily keep sub MOA out to 300 yards.

This. lightbulb

I've decided to head down the new rifle route for a lightweight hunter - either the T3 or perhaps the X-bolt stainless. Gets me where I want to be quicker and cheaper. Plus I can then take the 700 and use that as a good platform to play around with and set up a custom, accurate rifle that's fun to shoot. Just not one that will be going in my pack too often. :)

I would suggest too. A Kimber Montana in 300 WSM. Weight with 24 inch barrel, Leopold VX III 2.5X8 scope, Nylon Sling and 4 rounds of ammo at about 7 1/4 lb. Melvin Forbes of ULAC designed and trained the stock maker for the Kimber Montana WSM 8400 series. Compares in recoil to a 700 Rem 270 Win. Classic. The action of a Kimber Montana has Mauser Extractor, Sako adjustable firing pin, Model 70 3 position safety, a simple bolt tear down. (With the bolt in the rifle, Put it on 1st safety, Push the bolt stop remove the Bolt. Unscrew the firing pin and shroud with your hands, clean and oil, Screw it back together to proper Pop-It ball position and ready to go.) It is your choice Good Luck.

I would suggest too. A Kimber Montana in 300 WSM. Weight with 24 inch barrel, Leopold VX III 2.5X8 scope, Nylon Sling and 4 rounds of ammo at about 7 1/4 lb. Melvin Forbes of ULAC designed and trained the stock maker for the Kimber Montana WSM 8400 series. Compares in recoil to a 700 Rem 270 Win. Classic. The action of a Kimber Montana has Mauser Extractor, Sako adjustable firing pin, Model 70 3 position safety, a simple bolt tear down. (With the bolt in the rifle, Put it on 1st safety, Push the bolt stop remove the Bolt. Unscrew the firing pin and shroud with your hands, clean and oil, Screw it back together to proper Pop-It ball position and ready to go.) It is your choice Good Luck.

The Kimbers have most definitely been on the list. That being said I've heard some amazing things about them and I've heard some not so great things. From what I've seen it seems like sometimes you can get a real shooter (perhaps most times) but other times not so much. Not sure if the potential benefits of getting a shooter (i.e. guaranteed accuracy and even lighter weight) justify the additional cost and risk of having issues. A guarantee is only as good as the hassle required to get the company to support it.

I would prefer to avoid issues in the first place if possible . . .

I have also heard bad reviews on the Kimber Montana. This rifle likes heavy bullets. First range day. The 150 gr. Remington Bullet load shot 1 3/4 inch group. The second group, 165 Gr. Hornady Shot around 1 1/4 group. at 100 yds. Next group, Sierra 180 gr. went into 9/16 group. I have loaded Sierra, Hornady and Nosler Partition 180gr. loads and it shot all well.

I got my 270 lightweight 700 back from nitride today and put tother. Weighs right at 5 pounds 9.8 oz sans scope, with the leupold vx3 4.5-14x40 30mm in talley lightweights it comes in right at 6 pounds 10.8oz. I think it would be tought to get any lighter than this and still run 24" barrel. You could definitely get to this weight easier with a tikka T3 or Kimber but you wouldn't have a 1-8 twist.

Rifle Specs
Rem 700 lightened and trued
24" pacnor 1-8 featherweight barrel fluted
Wildcat Compositis ultra light stock
Leupold Vx3 4.5-14x40 CDS in tally lightweights mounts

Attachments

• 5bff8665aa7ebc9b8baa68218b9562ca.jpg
    5bff8665aa7ebc9b8baa68218b9562ca.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 51
  • a1dea61d61aab7cbc83ddce624c005a6.jpg
    a1dea61d61aab7cbc83ddce624c005a6.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 57
Forget the 700 action if you want a really light rifle. You can spend thousands and factory lightweights will still be lighter and just as accurate. Lot of mill work is needed on the action to lighten it up and that will cost. You will be lucky to make 6 lbs at the end and have spent minimum of $2000

Tikka lite $700 6.5 lbs

Savage lightweight hunter. $800 5.5 lbs Savages are known shooters and hard to beat.

Forbes light rifle $1500 5.5 lbs ready to go

Colt light rifle $650. This us copy of the Forbes ULA and were made by Colt, they are all long action but still on the market and can be sent back to Forbes for updating and still be lighter and less than a 700 conversion Will cost another $600 maybe and be 5.5 lbs He changes the stock to his proprietary 1 lbs kevlar, and a few other parts and sometimes a new barrel. Converted ones for sale bring around $1200 or so.

Remington Titanium $1800-2200 if you can find one. 5.5-6 lbs

A bit late but +1! Also, now comes with 16/116 series at 5.65 lbs.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.