Lightweight backpack hunter - convert 700 SPS or buy new?

Forget the 700 action if you want a really light rifle. You can spend thousands and factory lightweights will still be lighter and just as accurate. Lot of mill work is needed on the action to lighten it up and that will cost. You will be lucky to make 6 lbs at the end and have spent minimum of $2000

Tikka lite $700 6.5 lbs

Savage lightweight hunter. $800 5.5 lbs Savages are known shooters and hard to beat.

Forbes light rifle $1500 5.5 lbs ready to go

Colt light rifle $650. This us copy of the Forbes ULA and were made by Colt, they are all long action but still on the market and can be sent back to Forbes for updating and still be lighter and less than a 700 conversion Will cost another $600 maybe and be 5.5 lbs He changes the stock to his proprietary 1 lbs kevlar, and a few other parts and sometimes a new barrel. Converted ones for sale bring around $1200 or so.

Remington Titanium $1800-2200 if you can find one. 5.5-6 lbs

I agree, your better off starting new.

Another rifle option I wish I would have known about is the Christensen Arms Ridgeline, I played with one in the store and was impressed with many of the features, cost was around $2100. Good action, carbon barrel, muzzle brake, decent stock, would be a high contender if I was in the market! I also noticed they have long magazine wells for handloads.

Also, Sportsmans Warehouse carries an even lighter version of the Tikka lite, this one has a fluted barrel but is not available in all calibers, likely the best bang for the $!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts