Lightweight backpack hunter - convert 700 SPS or buy new?

ryanc111

Relatively new to big game hunting, this next season will be my fifth hunting here in the CO mountains. I started with a 700 SPS in 300 WSM that has served me well but as I find myself doing more and more backpack hunting I'm looking for a lighter option.

Trying to decide if it is better to spend some money on the 700 or to just start over with a new lightweight rifle.

And of course with either option what choices should I make? I've done quite a bit of web surfing and researching but with the various upgrades I could make to the 700 I'm not really sure what will give a weight savings in addition to performance benefits.

If I stay with the 700 I would replace the trigger (performance, negligible weight savings) the stock (McMillan, B&C - performance and likely some weight savings) not sure on other changes.

However I could get a new Tikka T3 that is instantly lighter and likely just as accurate for similar money to a series of upgrades to the 700...not to mention more expensive options (Kimber Ascent, H-S Precision, etc).

So...what would you guys do? :rolleyes:

If your 700 is a tac driver I would outfit it w/ a new trigger and a Mcmillan Edge stock, or manners EH. These upgrades will cost about as much as a tikka; that's where you have to give consideration to your current rifle's performance.

The nice thing about your 700 is you can continually upgrade it until you are either happy, need a new gun, or you're ready for a full custom. The experience you have w/ your 700 will dictate your future choices in that regard whereas the tikka (or other) will have such limited options you'll have wished it was 700.

I always note twist rate on tikkas, I didn't and now I have a 14twist 22-250. Accurate, but limited.

If your 700 is a tac driver I would outfit it w/ a new trigger and a Mcmillan Edge stock, or manners EH. ...

Accuracy is important to me but more so weight. Thus far I haven't been able to quantify what weight savings I might achieve with a new stock. I completely agree with the flexibility and options with the 700 platform but not sure just how much weight I could realistically remove from it.

Does anyone know what the weight of the SPS factory stock is? Or where I can find out? I haven't had much luck with the Google on that one . . .

The 700 is a great action to start a build from. Blueprint the action, toss in a Jewell or Timney trigger, throw a 26" proof research carbon fiber barrel on it, and bed and float it into a B&C Alaskan stock, and you should have a great lightweight pack rifle that's LR capable. It won't be cheap, but it will be an awesome rifle.

What scope are you running and what rings? You can also get a hi-tech stock which will reduce weight the most of any stock I've seen. Check stockys mountain stocks, you may be surprised. Other than that the only thing left is your barrel lop it off to 22-24".

What scope are you running and what rings? You can also get a hi-tech stock which will reduce weight the most of any stock I've seen. Check stockys mountain stocks, you may be surprised. Other than that the only thing left is your barrel lop it off to 22-24".

I have a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40. Not sure what rings I have but with the scope the total weight is 437.2g/.96lbs (I have it off the rifle as I just had the recall work done).

I've been talking to the folks at Stockystocks and they also recommended the Manners stock. They guessed that that factory stock weighed in close to 2lbs so if that holds true I could save up to .4-.5lbs with the Manners or McMillan and roughly a push with the B&C Alaskan . . .

Thanks for the feedback and help guys, much appreciated.

Last edited:
You say that weight is the most important consideration to you, given reasonable accuracy. If that is the case, there are several factory rifles out there now that will shoot sub moa and weigh in the 7-8 lb. range. I did not read ALL the posts, but did not see how far you intend to shoot? This is also important to know. If spending some $$$ is an option, you could go full custom with a titanium short action. I am currently building a carry rifle that will weigh around 6.5 lbs. field ready, but it is not cheap!.....Rich

What do you want it at?
To me that is light.

Yeah, I hadn't actually weighed it before and assumed the weight provided by Remington was accurate (7.375 lbs). I was surprised by what the scale was telling me frankly.

Ideally I was hoping to be around 6-6.5 lbs without scope and as close to 7lbs setup as possible.

I've come to the conclusion that for approx $650-800 I can save ~.5-.75 lbs by putting a new lightweight stock on or buying a new Tikka T3 Lite.

To get further weight reduction beyond that I need to start coughing up significant money for either a custom/semi-custom rifle (i.e. Kimber Mountain Ascent) or look at expensive barrel modifications for the 700.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. Thanks for all of the feedback everyone.

Or you could just buy a new lightweight Manners Elite Hunter stock and Proof Research carbon fiber barrel for the 700. Then you would have about the lightest rig you possibly could, short of buying a custom titanium action to go with that Manners stocks and PR barrel...

Or you could just buy a new lightweight Manners Elite Hunter stock and Proof Research carbon fiber barrel for the 700. Then you would have about the lightest rig you possibly could, short of buying a custom titanium action to go with that Manners stocks and PR barrel...

What do you think that stock and barrel will cost approx?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts