Lightest copper/mono 6.5 .264 bullet safe for whitetail/mule under 250 yards???

cdherman

Ok, rather specific question, so I'll give the background. I have several long distance guns. But I have this old sporterized 6.5x55 Swede that is a tack driver. But since I cannot load it hot (the old m94 action is rated lower, though probably could handle more) and the barrel is 17.5" (it was a carbine), its sort of hamstrung......

So I have decided to develop a fast, light weight load for close distances. I have plenty freebore and magazine length, so it makes sense to try a copper or alloy monolithic bullet. With a lower weight bullet, I *should* be able to reach a flatter trajectory with less recoil. I'd like the gun to be a starter gun for new shooters......

As an aside, its actually a pretty gun, not the case with many bubba'd military guns. It has an older Fajen aftermarket walnut stock with nice pattern and a lovely schnabel forend, montecarlo cheek and an interesting grip. All the more reason to use it as a starter gun for someone who should appreciate the beauty of a nice firearm.....

Sooo... What the lightest MONOLITHIC bullet that I can use out to say 250 yards for deer (I think with a 100 or 110 gr I can get the swede to around 3000fps safely)? Issues with light lead based bullets such as core separation or fragmentation should not be a problem.

I was thinking I could descend all the way to 100 gr. and still get good kills at modest ranges. I recognize this is NOT a long range hunting question.....

And who makes the most accurate ones? Cheapest? (Hammer sounds nice, but at over $1 a pop, kind of pricey for a new shooter to practice with.....)

All I can recommend is not to use the Nosler mono bullets. I'm a huge Nosler bullet fan but after seeing their mono bullets used on a few deer , I can't recommend them .

Its an 8 twist, as all swedes are. I am indeed tempted to try the Hammer bullets, but its hard to push a new shooter to practice, shooting that sort of ammo...

Any opinions about the Hornady 120gr GMX?

Any source for 100 gr pills other than Barnes and Hammer?

.....Its an 8 twist, as all swedes are. .....

I'd forgotten most of the older rounds came with twist for heavier bullets.
The Hammer's have shot well enough for me in a couple of rifles that I'll be trying them in the others.
I was pretty soured on the mono's early on. The Hammer's attention to bullet hardness, hollow point, and modern machining have made me rethink it. Hopefully, get a chance to field test this fall.
I don't know any one else guaranteeing satisfaction.

A Maker bullets 110-120gr T-Rex could make for some interesting performance

Hmm.... Price is really about the same as Barnes. Premium, but not over a $ a throw.... They look wicked, after expansion. Google search is pretty sparse though, not a lot of chatter.

I am just messing around with this idea anyhow -- I tried to unload the old Swede, then upon finding out that no one wanted it for anything over $200, I got mad and kept it. Stupid to sell a gun that will shoot 1/2" groups, at least for $200. But its not worth a longer barrel (like that's its asset anyhow, a good barrel), so I am trying to figure out how to use it right and a "short" range gun seemed right......

Our 99g Hammer Hunter was designed just for this kind of application. I really like this little bullet and it will shine out to farther distances than is being talked about on this thread. The 110g Hammer Hunter is the big brother to this bullet with the same form. My son will be hunting with the 110g this fall in his 6.5-06 and harvesting elk with it no problem.

As far as new shooters and practicing go, I think you would probably get better results practicing with a 22lr for volume and learning aiming and trigger control. A few shots here and there to make sure they will not be startled by the loudness of the center fire and to give them confidence in shooting an animal will suffice.

Let us know if we can help.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.