600 Yards Max for Whitetail: 7mm STW vs 6.5 Creedmoor

General RE LEE

Dilemma:

I have a VX6HD 3-18X44 coming with the illuminated TMOA reticle. I have a Remington Sendero FS 7mm STW and a Tikka T3x 6.5 Creedmoor. I hunt large ag fields and the woods so I can shoot anywhere from 10 yards to 500-600 yards and the quarry is whitetail only.

I am trying to decide on which rifle to put the scope. The Sendero is heavy but spooky accurate. It's great for the box blind but I'm iffy about hauling it around in the woods in the treestand. The Tikka T3x is light and shoulders great and the 6.5 Creedmoor recoil is light. Its a great handling gun.

Comfort wise I like the Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor vs the 7mm STW but the STW has some impressive ballistics.

Between a 7mm STW and a 6.5 Creedmoor, which would you choose as a better choice for an all around deer rifle from woods to fields? BTW I also have a Tikka T3 .308 with a 22" barrel that is a sporter rifle.

Hits at longer ranges will be easier with the STW, simple ballistics tells you so.
Don't have a Creedmoor, but run a 6.5x47 Lapua which is accurate to 1000....with the necessary equipment. You don't mention if you have a portable ballistic app, rangefinder or weather metering system.
600yrds has considerable drop, you need a solution for that kind of distance and I would be running a 20MoA rail on the Creedmoor if it were me.
I also run a 3-18x50 scope on mine, but can switch to a 4.5-27x50 in a pinch, as all 3 rifles I have are set up identically.
My STW is one of the other 3 rifles, they are all switch barrels. 2 magnum length and 1 short action standard bolt face.
Also have a 5R I will be turning into a switch barrel set-up in the future.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hits at longer ranges will be easier with the STW, simple ballistics tells you so.
Don't have a Creedmoor, but run a 6.5x47 Lapua which is accurate to 1000....with the necessary equipment. You don't mention if you have a portable ballistic app, rangefinder or we metering system.
600yrds has considerable drop, you need a solution for that kind of distance and I would be running a 20MoA rail on the Creedmoor if it were me.
I also run a 3-18x50 scope on mine, but can switch to a 4.5-27x50 in a pinch, as all 3 rifles I have are set up identically.
My STW is one of the other 3 rifles, they are all switch barrels. 2 magnum length and 1 short action standard bolt face.
Also have a 5R I will be turning into a switch barrel set-up in the future.

Cheers.

I use the Hornady 4DOF ballistic app and a Leica rangefinder with a SD card I can store my ballistics. The scopes also have MOA CDS dials. I have the ballistics for my load.

I would hunt the grain field with the 7MM with the VX 6 as the lighted reticle and higher mag will be valuable at 500+ yds put the VX 5 on the creed for tight quarter closer range woods hunting.

Are your woods large acerage of mature hard wood, or a few (10-20) Acers of over grown fence scrub used as bedding areas?

We have large sections of hardwoods that separate the large ag fields. Shots in hardwoods are 10-40 yards

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts