130 Gr Match King + 7mm STW for Whitetail?

Boyd Heaton

I feel the 130 to be alittle light for the STW.I have shot the 150gr BT and the 162gr A-MAX out of mine.Have shot it to 1450 yard's with the a-max and does quite well for an 8 pound shoulder gun...

G

Boyd, I've been shooting the 140 Barnes XLC Boat Tails. Surprisingly it shot just uner MOA (3/4" @ 100). I want more of a long ranger that is why I was looking at the matchking. I saw what DC did to that buck with the 168 SMK. WOW! More Damage than my shotgun did on a small doe!

I have been building a 338 Lapua that I should finally get by end of January. After seeing DC's Deer I'm afraid of what a 300 SMK will do to one!

G

Boyd, I'm curious what king of accuracy & Velocity you get from the A-Max. Also, what is you barrel length on your 7mm STW?

Thanks

Boyd Heaton

My stw is built on a Rem 700 action with a 27" Douglas 9.5 twist barrel....Velocity is 3220 with the 162.............Here is a 3 shot 100 yard group with H1000 and the 162 at 3220...

G

Wow, nice group! My STW is also rem700 action, I have a Krieger 26" Barrel, 9.5 Twist. How much velocity do you think I would lose with the 26" barrel?

Thanks

G

Wondering how effective this round would be on whitetail? And...out to what range?

speedbump

Johnny,

A 130 SMK holds up to velocity, in flight at least. I've chronographed them at an ave. 3,671 in my 7mmRUM & a .522" 5 shot group.

I'd be a little leery of how they'd do at that speed into a heavy bone mass. It might be worth testing some into newsprint or gelatin after hammering through some scrap cow or deer bones or something. Just a thought.

Cybra

Varminy Hunter:

You should be fine with a 1-10" twist. A 1-9" will actually stabilize Berger's 180 VLDs. To my knowledge muzzle velocity should be kept above 2700 fps--which I doubt you'll have trouble attaining.

Dave

Cybra

****, if my memory isn't going {actually, it's gone, but I try and keep it a secret around my peers}. For what's worth, I have had some experience with Sierra's 130gr MKs tested out of a 7-08. Results were somewhat erratic--sometimes the bullet would hold together marvelously, other times it'd open up like a heretic exposed to fire. Why?--I don't know. I have a feeling material entry into the bullet's tip is very crucial. My velocities were all kept within +/- 50 fps 2800fps, depending on powder type. If I was getting fragmentation at or below those figures, it reasons that such problems would likely occur at an exponentially faster rate as velocity increased. However, for lung shots, I feel a person could get by--in fact, as the range exceeds 400 yards, a person really shouldn't have TOO trouble. Out to how far?--I don't know. Wind drift would probably cut you short before loss of energy, on smaller game. I wouldn't even try it on the bigger stuff. Best of luck. The suggestion over testing with soaked newspapers is a very good one. Set these "targets" out at various ranges, and see what happens. If nothing else, the rest of us would likely enjoy hearing, as its not "normally" a weight used in that style of bullet. Regards

Dave

BountyHunter

My question is why go as light as 130 on a bullet that is marginal in performance particularily for LR.

Stay with something at least in th 140 range and gives you the reliability of holding together through a shoulder blade etc for a clean kill.

For LR hunting and clean kills, maximize the combination of accuracy, penetration (in all circumstances) and reliability.

BH

G

BountyHunter, I have been using the 140 Barnes XLC's. Shooting over 3500 FPS and 3/4" @ 100yds. Since they are Barnes I don't want to use them past 300YDS. I saw what DC did to that buck using a 168 SMK so In started looking for a SMK load for my STW.

I use 300 SMK's for my 338 lapua. I am a believer in MK's for LR hunting. But, to be honest, I only considered the 300gr for big game. I figured the smaller MK's might not do the job. DC sure proved me wrong!

Happy Holidays to All!

dbhostler

I use 130 MK's in a 7 Mag and drive them 3500fps. They are very destructive and would not recommend them for use on a meat producing game animal. .02
db

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce