600 Yards Max for Whitetail: 7mm STW vs 6.5 Creedmoor

Dilemma:

I have a VX6HD 3-18X44 coming with the illuminated TMOA reticle. I have a Remington Sendero FS 7mm STW and a Tikka T3x 6.5 Creedmoor. I hunt large ag fields and the woods so I can shoot anywhere from 10 yards to 500-600 yards and the quarry is whitetail only.

I am trying to decide on which rifle to put the scope. The Sendero is heavy but spooky accurate. It's great for the box blind but I'm iffy about hauling it around in the woods in the treestand. The Tikka T3x is light and shoulders great and the 6.5 Creedmoor recoil is light. Its a great handling gun.

Comfort wise I like the Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor vs the 7mm STW but the STW has some impressive ballistics.

Between a 7mm STW and a 6.5 Creedmoor, which would you choose as a better choice for an all around deer rifle from woods to fields? BTW I also have a Tikka T3 .308 with a 22" barrel that is a sporter rifle.
I have several sendero class rifles. I hunted from a Stand with a sendero but a lighter rifle is better for that. My tree stand shots were no farther and I've taken deer from a tree stand no farther than 300 yards. That can be done with your creedmoor or your 308. Your Stw will make shots easily to 500 & 600 with a 160-180gr bullet & a load it likes with an optic set up to accompany it. Doing it with much more down range energy. Saying all of that, I think that scope would be right at home on your Stw. But, if most of your hunting is done from a tree stand and you hardly ever shoot off of a bipod or rest, then you might as well put your best scope (if that Leupold is going to be your best scope) on the rifle you use the most.

You could easily get by with a lot less scope than the Leupold you mentioned for treestand hunting & 300 yard shots. I've done that with a 3-9 power scope but upgrade to 4-12 power scopes for that. It was a want more than a need. If you want to use the Leupold 3-18x44 for that then it will be fine as well. Personally, I would put it on the sendero if the sendero shoots to your liking and put a less expensive scope on the other rifle. Either way, go with what works out the best for you.

You could easily get by with a lot less scope than the Leupold you mentioned for treestand hunting & 300 yard shots. I've done that with a 3-9 power scope but upgrade to 4-12 power scopes for that. It was a want more than a need. If you want to use the Leupold 3-18x44 for that then it will be fine as well. Personally, I would put it on the sendero if the sendero shoots to your liking and put a less expensive scope on the other rifle. Either way, go with what works out the best for you.
I agree whole heartily with this.
For stand hunting, the max magnification I go for is 4-12, a 3-9 is also perfect for 300 and in.
One of my 25-06's wears a 5-15 and I find 5x on swinging a tad too close for my liking when shots are inside 100.

Cheers.

We have large sections of hardwoods that separate the large ag fields. Shots in hardwoods are 10-40 yards

Have you hunted this property much? Just curious as you seem unsure, almost like you have not formulated a plan. I have been hunting property like you describe for years. 100 yds or less in the woods and 600+ in the grain fields. I know in advance the stand I intend to hunt and take the rifle I deem appropriate. My plan is simple, the further I have to walk the lighter the rifle.

Uou are comparing a top fuel dragster (7STW) to a 69 Beetle (6.5CM). Mount the 3-18 scope on your 7STW. It is perfect for field shooting from 100 to 600+, and actually very well suited for well past 1000 on deer-sized game. The 3-15 would be plenty as well.
For shots "10-40 yards", in my opinion, you purchased the wrong scope. Even if you might have the opportunity to shoot out to 300 yards. I would have gone with a 1-6, 1-8 or 2-10/2-12 at most for the 6.5 CM. Minimum parallax/focus setting on the VX-6HD 3-18×50 is 50 yards. Not that at 10 yards on 3x, you might need a crystal clear image, but it sure would be nice, when the deer appears to only be 3 yards away through the scope. Also, FOV will be pretty narrow, but that should be OK, but be prepared to only see a field of brown.

Have you hunted this property much? Just curious as you seem unsure, almost like you have not formulated a plan. I have been hunting property like you describe for years. 100 yds or less in the woods and 600+ in the grain fields. I know in advance the stand I intend to hunt and take the rifle I deem appropriate. My plan is simple, the further I have to walk the lighter the rifle.

I've been hunting it for 10 years. During the rut I'll hunt the box blind over the field till 10:00 and then head down the field and cut into the woods and hunt my Millennium hang on from 10:30-2:30 and then go back to the blind for the evening hunt. There will be scenarios said rifle will pull double duty.

The 3-15 VX5HD on the 6.5 Creedmoor is a standard fire dot duplex The VX6HD will be a TMOA reticle. I plan on putting the VX6HD on the STW.

The STW is probably better for the TMOA reticle cause it will be used for longer range.The 6.5 will have the standard duplex so I need to practice wind holds with a standard duplex.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.