Lightest action?

Not an exact study but having checked this out, most steel actions seem run in the 2-2.5# range depending on SA vs LA, integral rail, lug, bolt handle size, fluting, etc. this can make apples to apples weight comparisons a bit more difficult. A titanium action (ie Lone Peak, Pierce) is where you can see a material difference, as much as a .75-1 pound weight savings in an equal comparison. There are some that question the durability of a titanium action compared to steel.

The density of stainless steel is 6500 to 8000 kg per cubic meter while titanium is 4500, so roughly half the Weight of stainless.

The Pierce Ti action with Ti bolt is the lightest out there. I believe I weighted the long action at 16 oz.
I've been considering buying a Titanium action. How does the quality of this one compare to the other brands?

That was 7500 to 8000 for stainless steel.

Wish edit was a little easier.

Most titanium actions use chrome moly bolts. The only exception I am aware of is the relatively new Pierce with titanium bolt.

There will be another soon but the Pierce is decent, you have to really inspect them, cocking piece to action clearance and the straightness of the bolt.

I have three build's on the Pierce TI actions. I believe they mostly build for bench rest shooters. They are very good to people to work with. I have used Proof and Bartlien 2b barrels..bare rifle comes in 6lb. plus or minus 3oz. depending on the stock.

I have three build's on the Pierce TI actions. I believe they mostly build for bench rest shooters. They are very good to people to work with. I have used Proof and Bartlien 2b barrels..bare rifle comes in 6lb. plus or minus 3oz. depending on the stock.
Bigngreen is correct 16oz. for the TI bolt. About 19.5oz for the TI with 4140 chrome moly bolt. Saves around 10oz compared to 700R.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.