What's the lightest stock available?

6mm06guy

A friend of mine wants a lightweight mountain rifle stock, in a savage or a remington. The problem is he's left handed. I googled but I haven't been able to find anything solid. Boyds makes several stocks, but he doesn't seem interested. He likes the look of my hs precision stock, but it's heavy. Any help will be appreciated, thanks guys.

A friend of mine wants a lightweight mountain rifle stock, in a savage or a remington. The problem is he's left handed. I googled but I haven't been able to find anything solid. Boyds makes several stocks, but he doesn't seem interested. He likes the look of my hs precision stock, but it's heavy. Any help will be appreciated, thanks guys.

The following is a company I have used. Lisa has been there for several years and actually understands the idea of making a custom stock as light as the customer wants. She even hired a 'smith because a few customers gunsmiths O D with heavier than needed fillers. They will definitely get my next gun stock business.

Mpi Stocks
mpistocks.com
5655 NW Saint Helens Rd, Portland, OR 97210
(503) 226-1215
Open 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

The following is a company I have used. Lisa has been there for several years and actually understands the idea of making a custom stock as light as the customer wants. She even hired a 'smith because a few customers gunsmiths O D with heavier than needed fillers. They will definitely get my next gun stock business.

Mpi Stocks
mpistocks.com
5655 NW Saint Helens Rd, Portland, OR 97210
(503) 226-1215
Open 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

MPI made a carbon fiber stock for a Savage of mine that weighs 20 oz. It is very stiff too. Has a two tone webbing finish Love it.

Do you guys have any pictures by chance?

I called mcmillian and they have their hunters edge, but when I looked online, it didn't show any other colors other than black

Do you guys have any pictures by chance?

I called mcmillian and they have their hunters edge, but when I looked online, it didn't show any other colors other than black

McMillian will build any of their stocks with the edge technology. I have one they said would weight 22 oz. When I got it I weighed it and it weighed 22 oz.

they have all kinds of colors to choose from.

I have been extremely pleased with everything I have gotten from them. You get what you pay for.

MPI on Savage

Attachments

• IMG_20140630_183337953-22.jpg
    IMG_20140630_183337953-22.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 491
McMillian will build any of their stocks with the edge technology. I have one they said would weight 22 oz. When I got it I weighed it and it weighed 22 oz.

they have all kinds of colors to choose from.

I have been extremely pleased with everything I have gotten from them. You get what you pay for.

The idea one gets what one pays for is an internet myth. One gets what one shops for. I paid $756.10 for a Lone Wolf stock a few years ago; which is now Proof Research. One time when I fired it it broke right behind the trigger guard. Proof Research replaced it but it weighs about twenty-eight ounces.

I paid $512 for a totally custom carbon fiber made MPI. It weighed twenty ounces.

The idea one gets what one pays for is an internet myth. One gets what one shops for. I paid $756.10 for a Lone Wolf stock a few years ago; which is now Proof Research. One time when I fired it it broke right behind the trigger guard. Proof Research replaced it but it weighs about twenty-eight ounces.

I paid $512 for a totally custom carbon fiber made MPI. It weighed twenty ounces.

Never heard of lone wolf but McMillian has been around a long time

Personally I have never purchased any aftermarket stocks other than boyds, and 1 hs precision. I like all of them. All my guns shoot sub moa after proper bedding, so other than just personal preference are the mcmillian or mci, manners, ect... worth the money?

What cartridge, action, and barrel contour is he going to use?

I have a Brown Precision Model 7 Remington stock, a Manners EH3 stock, and a McMillan Edge Remington Varmint Stock. I like all of them but if I were to order a new lightweight stock tomorrow, I would order a McMillan.

Not sure yet, it will be either a savage or remington action, he's looking at a bartlein or brux barrel, possibly a pac-nor. He wants a lightweight gun so probably a light sporter contour of some kind.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.