Lightest barrel 6.5 creed

snox801

Hey anyone know what would be the lightest barrel I could get in a 22" 6.5 creed that would still stay accurate. It's a hunting rifle so only the first shot is important. I will cold bore sight it in. I want as light as possible for my build but not at the cost of accuracy. Any ideas, I've been looking all over but can't seem to get a apples to apples comparison. I know the limber ascent has a super skinny barrel and still has some flutes so I'm sure I could get some cut in.

Hey anyone know what would be the lightest barrel I could get in a 22" 6.5 creed that would still stay accurate. It's a hunting rifle so only the first shot is important. I will cold bore sight it in. I want as light as possible for my build but not at the cost of accuracy. Any ideas, I've been looking all over but can't seem to get a apples to apples comparison. I know the limber ascent has a super skinny barrel and still has some flutes so I'm sure I could get some cut in.

I posted the following on another thread:

My Pac-Nor is .550" at the muzzle and Twisted barrel was still able to take 7 ounces out of it. I was a little concerned it might not work, but today, 5/9/16, I ran six groups starting at magazine length and did -.010", -.020. etc to -.050". Magazine length was 1" for three shots at 100 yards. -.020" was 11/16" and -.040" was 3/4" so I am encouraged. Tomorrow I will go up a grain at a time firing three shots of each starting with the load I used today. I was probably below a starting load since two of the cases came out with a dent right below the shoulder.

A shorter barrel would most likely be stiffer; thus potentially more accurate.

I have the HS Precision PHL in 6.5 Creedmoor. I took it to a shooting school last June and was able to hold a 5 shot 4" group at 500 yards. Shooting prone with an Atlas bipod. Bare rifle is just under 6 pounds.

This was shooting Winchester factory 140 grain Match loads.

It's a 22" fluted barrel and measures right around 1/2" at the muzzle.

Now I wouldn't want to run a lot of rapid fire long strings with it because it does heat up quickly. The 5 shot string I mentioned above was shot one after another from a 5 round HS magazine.

Nice rifle in a great caliber to carry up a mountain, have great accuracy and confidence in it's capabilities when the shot presents itself.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.