Lighter Weight High End Binos

When I looked at binos I decided that the 10x42 ELs were too heavy to lug around the mountains. In the end I went with the Swarovski 10x32 EL and they are fantastic and I have really enjoyed using them for the last 5 years. I have compared then side by side with my cousins 10x42 ELs and I don't feel that I am missing anything in low light conditions, maybe 10 minutes at the most. Just like you I am getting very close to the big 60.
I have several but similar problem I am 73 Last year I ordered a pair of Bushnell online, 10x50 insta focus, they are a little bigger than my US Camel 8x40 which zI like The insta focus are amazing just put them to your face and look, no fiddling with adjustment - 300ft at 1000yds
The US Camel - 430ft at 1000yds
To my old eyes both are great cheap binos
Just my 2 pence worth

First what are you using to hold your binoculars. I use a harness with which the weight of the binoculars is imperceptible. I've hunted with them all day and have no issues with the weight. I have Leica binoculars and they are not light weight. Try the harness if you haven't before

Last edited:
With eyes getting older I would stay with as much magnification as I could, just last wee I got a new pair of Vortex UHD 12x50's and love them. you might keep what you have and change the way you carry them.
Sorry edit to my previous reply
The Bushnell insta focus require adjustment Its the US Camel that are INSTANT focus, no adjustment required

Interesting subject. I carry swaro 10x50 EL in a Alaska guide creations chest pack. I spend a lot of time glassing in the high country and need to pick out small details. I have messed with 8x32 swaro's and if you are not a big glasser or glassing over big country I'd say they are hard to beat.

I personally like the Swarovski, as for weight get a good bino buddy type system and you will be fine. CL are good. I use EL and the SL models.
I had this old pair of Leupold... couldn't see crap in low light

My advice would be to save your money and get a good harness as has been suggested. You already have the gold standard for binoculars. I have had a Marsupial Gear bino pack for the last few seasons. I hunt backpack hunt mostly, and pack the bino's for a week plus in the marsupial harness with no discomfort - it is extremely comfortable. I think any bino hanging on a neck strap is going to become uncomfortable eventually, no matter what it weighs... my 2 cents.
Mike

I have both, the 8x32 and the 10x40 EL's. Having bought both at the same time, off Ebay brand new in the box on close outs before the latest HD Generation, and saved about $2500.00! I looked at the CL's prior, and I believe they are far inferior to the EL's. I love wearing the 8x32's for almost everything, the 10's not so much. I hunt out west, and bowhunt in MN, and use the 8's for both. I've thought about selling the 10's, but for what little I use them for, and for what I paid for them, I just can't bring myself to do
it!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.