Lighter or Heavier bullet

the blur

What's your preference on Elk ? 120 up to 168's ?

My personal preference on Whitetails is 90 gr. .243 Light fast traveling bullet is just deadly on deer.
On Elk, I always went heavier. 140 on up.

What say you ???

We all know that shot placement is the supreme priority...But the thing I would add here is that it is RARE that we get that "perfect shot" placement. - so I prefer a bigger, heavier bullet - vs "lightning fast" smaller lighter. I want ALL of the energy delivered INTO the carcass for the most shock possible. Not a bullet that passes thru the the body of an animal. I know the arguments....just my experience here - they drop faster, take fewer steps - when the shot placement is reasonably good - and the bullet expands INSIDE the body - rather than passing thru.
FWIW...Nosler Partitions are my go-to. Accubonds are also good - and there are others. What works for YOU - gives you confidence. Find it, and stick with it.
( .300 WM, 180gr. Partitions...)

I have always been a heavy for calibre dude at a fast velocity for the caliber.
A 338 cal 285g bullet above 3100fps is an absolute hammer on anything that walks.
A 375 cal 260g bullet above 3000fps is an even bigger hammer.

I never look at energy figures, bullets do not kill by expending energy, they kill by causing tissue destruction from the cavitation from the VELOCITY of said bullet disrupting tissue. Without velocity, the damage is LESS. The higher the velocity the more damage. KE in bullet killing ability is so stupid, it's not funny. I can push a baseball fast enough to have the same energy as a bullet, but it doesn't kill very well.

Cheers.

My .270 WSM, shooting 140's at, 3,150+ FPS Kills Elk about, 15-20 Seconds, SLOWER than, my 210 Noslers, did out of, my old .338 Win Mag. at, 2,975 FPS !!! ****, I HATE to wait that, Long ! BUT, the Recoil when PRACTICING at Plates & working up Loads, IS,.. so MUCH,.. LESS !
And NOW, I shoot, way, WAY,.. BETTER ! Any ole' .270 or, .30-06 with reasonable Loads, would work FINE for, the "way" we Hunt, Elk.
But, You ALL, should shoot, whatever Cal / Rifle that,.. YOU have CONFIDENCE IN !
LEARN it and, the Wind !

Last edited:
A 338 cal 285g bullet above 3100fps is an absolute hammer on anything that walks.

I never look at energy figures, bullets do not kill by expending energy, they kill by causing tissue destruction from the cavitation from the VELOCITY of said bullet disrupting tissue. Without velocity, the damage is LESS. The higher the velocity the more damage. KE in bullet killing ability is so stupid, it's not funny. I can push a baseball fast enough to have the same energy as a bullet, but it doesn't kill very well.

Cheers.
I would definitely agree with heavy and fast.

If you can throw a baseball (5oz or 2187gr) at 500fps (340mph), that is 1214ft/lbs energy on impact. Whatever major body part it hits is going to be destroyed. Head, chest cavity, whatever, is going to die.
Can you imagine a 340mph fastball to the head or chest? Ugh.

What's your preference on Elk ? 120 up to 168's ?

My personal preference on Whitetails is 90 gr. .243 Light fast traveling bullet is just deadly on deer.
On Elk, I always went heavier. 140 on up.

What say you ???
totally depends on what round you're talking about. Point being, in my 25/06 the 120 would be a great way to go, if I'm running my .308 then a 155-168 is generally my go to.

Again, taking elk down isn't rocket science! It's only so if you choose to make it so...

Cheers.
I'm not sitting at the range with a .338 or .375. That doesn't work for me. and I guarantee you getting hit with a baseball with sufficient KE will maim you at the very least.