Lighter or Heavier bullet

I subscribe to Elmer Keith's philosophy on hunting, "bigger is better". Now that this is out in the ether, I have my own corollary to that idea. If you are recoil shy, large and heavy may not be your "cup of tea". Shoot what you're comfortable with, but use the heaviest projectile the rifle and you're able to control.

Unfortunately, everyone always wants to focus on KE and forgets the terminal ballistics of the bullet. I personally want the projectile to expend its energy in the animal, but still exit. Two holes are better than one! The bullet that fits the bill for me on elk has always been a 165-168 gr. Barnes TTSX leaving the muzzle @ 3400+ out of a 300 RUM.

Last year a member of our hunting party took a shot and hit a cow elk at nearly 400 yds. The 180 gr bullet from a 300 WSM fragmented into itty bitty pieces. I know because i killed that elk the next day with my 300 WSM with a 168 Barnes TTSX bullet. Last month while eating some stew made from that elk, I picked out a chunk of copper (5 Gr) and have been doing that on several previous occasions. Over the years, I too have come to prefer an entrance and exit hole. I remember the first bull elk I took, a 6x6 was shot right behind the shoulder about 2/3 of the way up the body with my 284 win with a 140 gr Barnes TSX from 125 yds. The bull ran directly at me an as I got ready to shoot again, I saw blood spurting from BOTH holes - right where I had aimed. As the bull got to about 30 yds away, he stopped and fell over. Upon skinning that bull, the exit hole was a perfect 4 petal clover. While it's true that velocity and the explosive designs of Berger and Hammer bullets can be very effective on big game, I personally want the bullet to stay together and penetrate all the way thru or at least close to the far side hide.

Let's hear your shock & awe results with you 6.5. I'm very very temped to hunt Elk with my 6.5CM, 140 accubonds. My guide was against it, but I'm still considering it. I have killed a Moose with my 6.5, perfect broadside shot.
Like I said 6.5's will kill. I shot a Bull Elk one time with my 338Wm that it literally reared over backwards on its back and died. Shot another in N.M with same 338Wm that it almost fell off its feet then just fell over and died. Shot 2 in the Selway Wilderness same thing you could just see them shutter when the bullet impacted, ive never had or seen any react like that that ive shot with 6.5's or 7mm's

Last year a member of our hunting party took a shot and hit a cow elk at nearly 400 yds. The 180 gr bullet from a 300 WSM fragmented into itty bitty pieces. I know because i killed that elk the next day with my 300 WSM with a 168 Barnes TTSX bullet. Last month while eating some stew made from that elk, I picked out a chunk of copper (5 Gr) and have been doing that on several previous occasions. Over the years, I too have come to prefer an entrance and exit hole. I remember the first bull elk I took, a 6x6 was shot right behind the shoulder about 2/3 of the way up the body with my 284 win with a 140 gr Barnes TSX from 125 yds. The bull ran directly at me an as I got ready to shoot again, I saw blood spurting from BOTH holes - right where I had aimed. As the bull got to about 30 yds away, he stopped and fell over. Upon skinning that bull, the exit hole was a perfect 4 petal clover. While it's true that velocity and the explosive designs of Berger and Hammer bullets can be very effective on big game, I personally want the bullet to stay together and penetrate all the way thru or at least close to the far side hide.
Were gonna go into the bullet debate again it always come up especially about bergers. I will say it again bullets will act differently out of a 8 twist vrs a 10 twist in 30 cals same thing in 6.5's 7 vrs 8's.
Don't blame the bullet if your spinning the crap out if them, ask anybody who shoots alot of sage rats they like spinning the crap out of them for the splat factor same thing applies to hunting bullets

Were gonna go into the bullet debate again it always come up especially about bergers. I will say it again bullets will act differently out of a 8 twist vrs a 10 twist in 30 cals same thing in 6.5's 7 vrs 8's.
Don't blame the bullet if your spinning the crap out if them, ask anybody who shoots alot of sage rats they like spinning the crap out of them for the splat factor same thing applies to hunting bullets
Not Hammers the faster you spin them the better Hammer bullets are in my humble opinion one of if not the best performing hunting bullet on the market they will out penetrate a Barnes and leave a better wound channel at a lower velocity I look at them as the best of both worlds they frag and penetrate

Like I said 6.5's will kill. I shot a Bull Elk one time with my 338Wm that it literally reared over backwards on its back and died. Shot another in N.M with same 338Wm that it almost fell off its feet then just fell over and died. Shot 2 in the Selway Wilderness same thing you could just see them shutter when the bullet impacted, ive never had or seen any react like that that ive shot with 6.5's or 7mm's
The .338 Win Mag is, the BEST Elk Cartridge, on Planet Earth, ( and LOVED Mine ) IF, IF, IF,.. you can shoot it,..."well" !
The 210-250's WILL "Roll" an Elk for, SURE !
I can't shoot, the "Big Ones",. "well ",.. anymore !
The 7mm Rem Mag / .270 WSM, "Class" of, cartridges, is now at, the very TOP of my,.. ENJOYMENT,. Level !
PS ; I don't use, a Braked Rifle, to Hunt Big Game with and, the lil' 6.5 Creedmoor is looking, BETTER,.. every year,.. LOL !

Last edited:
Not Hammers the faster you spin them the better Hammer bullets are in my humble opinion one of if not the best performing hunting bullet on the market they will out penetrate a Barnes and leave a better wound channel at a lower velocity I look at them as the best of both worlds they frag and penetrate
Comparing apples to oranges here, mono to cup and core.

The .338 Win Mag is, the BEST Elk Cartridge, on Planet Earth, ( and LOVED Mine ) IF, IF, IF,.. you can shoot it,..."well" !
The 210-250's WILL "Roll" an Elk for, SURE !
I can't shoot, the "Big Ones",. "well ",.. anymore !
The 7mm Rem Mag / .270 WSM, "Class" of, cartridges, is now at, the very TOP of my,.. ENJOYMENT,. Level !
PS ; I don't use, a Braked Rifle, to Hunt Big Game with and, the lil' 6.5 Creedmoor is looking, BETTER,.. every year,.. LOL !
No offense intended I couldn't do that too a Elk

We've shot a dozen with a variety of things. 6.5x47, 25-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 30-06, 338 Win mag, 50 caliber with conicals. They all just died. If I was going for a trophy bull I'd probably reach for the 7mm with 180 scenars doing about 2940 fps. But if I was limited to any of those, I'd feel fine.

A 210g Partition from my 338-06 will handle any Elk, but it has a limited range.
I have not shot anything with it beyond 500 metres. The longest shot I have taken is 470 metres ranged from above with a 250g Partition, the true range was something like 420 metres from memory.
This shot was on an Aussie Sambar stag, hit right at the top of the shoulder blade angling forward and down. The stag drooped at the hit, then turned and flat ran downhill out of view. Within 10 seconds I heard him crash and thrash around for another 5 seconds.
I followed his path and the amount of blood was spectacular, have actually only seen that sort of amount twice in my life.
Where he crashed and died almost gave me a heart attack…he was tangled in a fallen tree limb with the rear of his body and legs dangling over a small rock outcrop with a 20' drop underneath. 3 hours it took me to get him out of that predicament without losing him or myself over the edge.
The blood loss was from the aorta being hit.
Now, my point here is; would my 338-416 Rigby with a 285g ABLR @ 3100fps or my 338WM with a 225g Accubond @ 2900fps have killed that animal quicker?
The 338-06 with a 250g is only doing 2420fps in my rifle.
I have always wondered this, but have had numerous occasions where large deer run some ways even when hit with big bullets found fast.

Cheers.

I suppose to answer the question 168gr. As others have said, 3000fps is a nice velocity range to be in, generally good accuracy, fairly flat curve. The advantage of heavy high bc bullets isn't just superior wind deflection, a big reason they r better in the wind is retained velocity which also contributes to down range killing power

I used to be a "light and screaming fast" guy. And never had an issue. But, they lose velocity a lot faster than a heavier driven at moderate speeds.

Not talking a 230 from a .308 Win, but like a 180 from a .280AI speed. Or a 156 from a 6.5SS. Give me a heavy for caliber @ 2900-3000+ over a light for caliber @ 3300 IF, and only IF, you will be using the load at 800+. If you limit shots to >700-800, then as long as you maintain minimum recommended impact velocities and your own criteria for KE, then the lighter bullets should do fine.

If using cup/core bullets, the other benefit to a heavier bullet that sheds mass is the added shrapnel an extra 40gr of bullet weight adds to destroy vitals.

Speed kills. But so does a freight train.