Lighter bullets in 308

I have a G2 Contender in 30/30 with a 23" barrel.I use 125 Nosler BT in it using 748.The bullet is going 2600 and my grandkids have taken 6 deer with that combo.Kick is almost nonexistent.I think you could load a 308 down to that velocity and have a great kids rifle.Bullets do`nt have to go 3,000FPS to kill.JMHO,Huntz

So I just talked to Brian at hammer bullets. Super nice guy and very helpful. He said 124 hammer hunter over tac or h335 would get me 3000fps and still light recoil. Think that's the route I'm going to go. Thanks again guys.
matt
In case you need some TAC, I just got some from Precision Reloading for about $34 a pound

All good advice, thanks guys.
The rifle is a heavily modified ruger precision rifle. Stock is adjustable for length. I have a rifle I'm building for them but I don't anticipate it being ready by hunting season. I also just bought a ruger precision in 22lr. My thought process is they can learn to shoot on it and we will move up this fall once I have the load data worked out.
I bought a couple boxes of the hammers to hunt with and I'll load up some 125 Mosley ballistic tip to practice with.
Thanks for all the instruction and advice.
Sounds like you're fixed up and on your way to success. Good luck, and we're here if you need help with anything moving forward.

Personally, my 308 hasn't taken to the 124gn Hammers, but it does really well with
130gnTTSX
150gnTTSX
and 162gn Absolute Hammer.

For the lightest recoil, try the 130gnTTSX.
My accurate load is H4895 47.2gn, F210 or CCI-br primers, for 3075-3100fps.

Do not choose the slowest powder with Hammers. Instead, use a magnum primer and one step up in powder speed.
The 162gn is a great bullet and does better in my rifle than the 151gnAbsoluteHammer.
My load: 162gn AbsoluteHammer, H4895 46.3gn, Rem9.5magnum or WLRM primer, for 2895fps.

(150gnTTSX is also a good bullet with H4895gn 45.6/45.7 or 4166 46.0gn for 2900fps.)

Hey guys, I and trying to come up with a load for my 308 for my boys to shoot during deer season this year. The oldest is very recoil sensitive so I'm looking at some of the lighter weight stuff. I have 110 and 125's and a assortment of powders, I usually shoot the heavy for caliber stuff so don't really have any load data for the light weight stuff.
My questions:
1. My rifle is a 10 twist, do you think that will spin them too fast to stabilize or possible come apart in flight?
2. The lighter weight bullets are mainly varmint bullets, will they hold together well enough for MS white tail?
3. Any loads you guys have used in the past with good success?
Thanks
Matt
130 grain Barnes, TSX, Reloder-7, Light load, works perfect. I use it because of detached retina

Hey guys, I and trying to come up with a load for my 308 for my boys to shoot during deer season this year. The oldest is very recoil sensitive so I'm looking at some of the lighter weight stuff. I have 110 and 125's and a assortment of powders, I usually shoot the heavy for caliber stuff so don't really have any load data for the light weight stuff.
My questions:
1. My rifle is a 10 twist, do you think that will spin them too fast to stabilize or possible come apart in flight?
2. The lighter weight bullets are mainly varmint bullets, will they hold together well enough for MS white tail?
Thanks
Matt

Personally, my 308 hasn't taken to the 124gn Hammers, but it does really well with
130gnTTSX
150gnTTSX
and 162gn Absolute Hammer.

For the lightest recoil, try the 130gnTTSX.
My accurate load is H4895 47.2gn, F210 or CCI-br primers, for 3075-3100fps.

Do not choose the slowest powder with Hammers. Instead, use a magnum primer and one step up in powder speed.
The 162gn is a great bullet and does better in my rifle than the 151gnAbsoluteHammer.
My load: 162gn AbsoluteHammer, H4895 46.3gn, Rem9.5magnum or WLRM primer, for 2895fps.

(150gnTTSX is also a good bullet with H4895gn 45.6/45.7 or 4166 46.0gn for 2900fps.)
I hate to hear they aren't working for you and IMO a magnum primer isn't necessary, and yes you want to use the fastest powder you have within reason

My questions:
Thanks
Matt
I use 125 gr nosier accubonds in 2 different..308's, one is a Savage striker pistol and the other a Kimber Montana 84M. They both like the same load of W748 at 49.5 grains. These are seated at standard length recommended by Nosler. They shoot great out of both guns which have a 1-10 twist.

Try going to the link below. it is Hodgdon's Reduced Recoil Rifle Load Data and explains how using H4895 @ 60% of Max. charge. So if your able to find load data for 308 using whatever bullet and H4895 powder. So for example if it says using 150gr bullet that there max load is 45grs of H4895 the take 45 x .60 = 27grs.Therefore you could broaden your bullet selection and still have significant recoil reduction. Check out the link.