Lighter bullets in 308

Just worked up a load and chronographed today. For a Grandson with a Henry H015 single shot. The boy is quite a slight young fellow but into MMA. Had him shooting 28 gauge shotgun last year so should be able to handle this load. 3/4" group at 100 yds. Winchester 748 50.3grs. Barnes 130 gr. TTSX BT CCI 250 primer. velocity average 3075fps at 52 degrees Fahrenheit. Mid range load from manuals No pressure signs but wanted to keep a lower pressure load.

There have been MANY great reports on the Nosler 125gr Ballistic Tip for use in the .308 win, particularly when recoil needs to be moderated.

I suspect it would be a very effective bullet on whitetails. They also have a 125gr Accubond bullet for those who just want something a bit more stout.
I would also consider a very good muzzle brake as it would certainly help

Pick a bullet that is right construction for deer that you can find H4895 load data for, then use the Hodgdon reduced load approach and you can download them to a VERY light and manageable recoil. You'll still have plenty of energy/power for deer out to 150-200 yards. If you have a threaded muzzle, put a brake on it too. The combination of the reduced loads and the brake will make it recoil like a 222 remington.

Hey guys, I and trying to come up with a load for my 308 for my boys to shoot during deer season this year. The oldest is very recoil sensitive so I'm looking at some of the lighter weight stuff. I have 110 and 125's and a assortment of powders, I usually shoot the heavy for caliber stuff so don't really have any load data for the light weight stuff.
My questions:
1. My rifle is a 10 twist, do you think that will spin them too fast to stabilize or possible come apart in flight?
2. The lighter weight bullets are mainly varmint bullets, will they hold together well enough for MS white tail?
3. Any loads you guys have used in the past with good success?
Thanks
Matt
I regularly shoot 110 go and 125 balistic tips. Last year I shot a deer at 260 yards with a 10 mph crosswind with the 110 up. I held towards the front of the shoulder at let the wind drift it into the heart, lung area. DRT! I also am a big fan of Barnes bullets. Might I suggest 7.62x39 for the recoil sensitive, with practice it is a solid 200-250 yard deer rifle. Mine is a Howa which I really like, I also have an AR upper in this chambering and Ruger has one also. Just be aware that the Howa is .311 and the other 2 are .308 so choose ammo accordingly.

Good input guys. I've never tried the hammer bullets, but sounds like I need to. Any powders that excel in these weight bullets? What about the stabilization issue?
thanks
There has been no issue for me, long for caliber gives me more trouble than short bullets. I like long bullets in my 243 and sometimes the keyhole. Never had a problem with .308 up to 180 grains.

With the 125gr and 130gr bullets that I've used in .308, .30-06, .300 Savage, .300 Win Mag, and .30 Herrett I've never had a problem with stabilization 1-12" to 1-10" twist seem to work just fine... Overall my .300 Win Mag was probably the most accurate with those bullet weights'..., actually, it was very accurate with them. As for powder; pretty everything within reason works, with light bullets, just don't go crazy on the velocity end just because you can push them... Good luck.
I like Varget when I can get it but others work well to. The .308 is very forgiving to reloads.

Matt Tatum - For what it is worth, for best results with Hammer bullets, be sure to clean your barrel down to bare metal before shooting any loads. They tend to work best when there isn't any other copper element fouling the barrel, even if all you have used prior are Barnes solid copper bullets. You can usually find a good node with the Hammers doing a ladder test within the first 8-10 shots, or so. And they really do kill exceptionally well. Both of my deer and elk in Montana last Nov. were "bang, flop", DRT.
Also, for best consistent accuracy be sure to follow ButterBean's crimping instructions previously noted here, if you have a Lee FCD for .308.

Hey guys, I and trying to come up with a load for my 308 for my boys to shoot during deer season this year. The oldest is very recoil sensitive so I'm looking at some of the lighter weight stuff. I have 110 and 125's and a assortment of powders, I usually shoot the heavy for caliber stuff so don't really have any load data for the light weight stuff.
My questions:
1. My rifle is a 10 twist, do you think that will spin them too fast to stabilize or possible come apart in flight?
2. The lighter weight bullets are mainly varmint bullets, will they hold together well enough for MS white tail?
Thanks
Matt
Realistically speaking if someone is that recoil sensitive normal recommendation would be to shoot a lighter caliber rifle. A 243 using 90 or 100 grain bullets is deadly on deer and has a very light recoil. Downloading a .308, with a 1/10 twist to extremely light weight bullets will most likely be counter productive and probably not that all accurate. If you insist on using a .308 the only way to reduce recoil is to shoot a bullet with a lighter powder charge. Nosler Partitions (Sierra and Speer bullets are also good) using 165 grain bullets and the most accurate charge listed in the Nosler manual for IMR 4895. This load is very accurate and approximates Lake City National Match ammunition. I have been using this load for years. It shoots sub MOA in my Winchesters and Remingtons and will'easily knock a deer on it's butt at 300 yards.

I will clean it all the way down. Thanks.
You're welcome. Hammer bullets aren't like any others. You can easily shoot lighter for caliber bullets at higher speeds with less recoil and have amazingly deadly results and accuracy. If you haven't already, sign up for their forum and look up the load information on there. For the Absolute Hammer bullets there is a whole separate forum listing with a comprehensive spread sheet put together and regularly updated by GLTaylor.

My questions:
Thanks
Matt
H4895 reduced load and any 125 soft bullet. Hodgen list reduced loads on their website. I'm loading for two different kids and they have multiple deer kills.

My questions:
Thanks
Matt
Barnes 130 gr. Tipped Triple shock over federal 215 primer and a mid range charge of Winchester 760. Or Nosler 125 be B-Tip over the same primer and powder.

My questions:
Thanks
Matt
My .308's are 1/10 twist and I run Sierra 110 grain hollow points (varminter) and Speer 130 grain tnt hollow points. I've used the same bullets in every 30 cal I own from .308 to 300 wby mag. All have 10 twist and all shoot great just use a faster burning powder. I use H380, imr 4064 4350. My 300 wsm shot best with RE19. NY state deer and bear rarely go more than a few stumbles if that far. Don't plan on salvaging heart or liver as it is usually jello.

I have been using the 115 Grn Berger Flat Base Target bullets , in my Savage 110 Medium Heavy barrel in 308 . Right Now I am up to 41.7 grns of IMR 3031, with Win LR Primers , with excellent accuracy. This load is a bit light for deer at this load level, but I think some where around 43 to 44 grns would make a really nice light recoiling load for deer at moderate ranges . I also have had very good results with Hornady 110 V Max Bullets. As I have seen two deer killed, with one shot each , in West Virginia . by my friends daughters , using a Ruger rifle in .223 , with a 50 grn. bullet , I think the 115 grn bullet , in .308 would be effective, with proper shot placement, of course. Its more fun to practice when the recoil is mild.

Attachments

• IMG_1699.JPG
    IMG_1699.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1878 3 shot Group 308 Berger 115 grn.JPG
    IMG_1878 3 shot Group 308 Berger 115 grn.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 44