Light rifle vs lose body weight

I agree whole heartedly that heavier rifles are capable of greater accuracy. My issue is the idea that light rifles are not accurate enough for long range hunting. If you want to haul a gun into the back country and still reach out and touch something, by all means carry a light gun, practice up with it and save yourself some unnecessary pounds.

="Varmint Hunter, post:

Ahahahahaha - I can't believe that you actually posted that. Just a bit disparaging; don't you think?. For the record, I'm probably in the group you are referencing but I cycle 26 miles every other day just to maintain good cardio. And .... I hope that you're wrong about, "on the verge of death". LMAO

Lol nah you took it the way I intended. I tend to make over dramatic tongue and cheek post.

I agree whole heartedly that heavier rifles are capable of greater accuracy. My issue is the idea that light rifles are not accurate enough for long range hunting. If you want to haul a gun into the back country and still reach out and touch something, by all means carry a light gun, practice up with it and save yourself some unnecessary pounds.
Never said they aren't. I have built carbon 7-300, 300rum, 6.5-284, etc and all were light. They shoot great and I am definitely confident they will do the job at lr. I was just pointing out that rifle weight to me isn't the end all be all.

Dfan, I have to slightly disagree. My wife and I do xfit. She is much more serious than I am and better :) I had surgery a couple years ago(detached pec) and was out for almost 2 years. Since, I lost 20 lbs, I'm back to old weights (dumb) and feel great packing all day. Weight is weight in my opinion. Whether I pack my ultra light creedmoor or my 13lb edge, the body doesn't care like it did 20 lbs ago. But, to each their own.

I mean playing devils advocate here as I pack heavier with a 16 lb rifle typically, but I've been hiking around with weapons for quite awhile and I'm use to, but you can't expect the chubbies to just drop weight and pack heavy in and out. Losing weight doesn't give you muscle strength or endurance. Being in shape does.
If you lose weight through high intensity training and on point nutrition then I'd be inclined to agree.

16lbs! Goodness! Sorry.... to be clear, I'm saying a pound or two on the rifle and a pound or two off the body can be negligible. Just trying to tell new guys that they don't have to have a mountain ti type rifle to hike around. 16 lbs!? :)

16lbs! Goodness! Sorry.... to be clear, I'm saying a pound or two on the rifle and a pound or two off the body can be negligible. Just trying to tell new guys that they don't have to have a mountain ti type rifle to hike around. 16 lbs!? :)

Oh, I seriously thought we were talking about 15+ lb rifles. It's easy to get rifles that heavy when you start adding bipods, slings, and scopes.

Yeah...if I carry out any of the magnums. 26 inch barrel in a m40 contour make up most of the weight, the older xlr element chassis, bipod/hog saddle and pretty much every scope I own doesn't help either.

But it's what I'm used and I'm happy as long as I packed a log of cope winter green.

I hear ya. I sold my nf 5.5-22 to save weight. Then sold my Hs stock for an eh1. After all that my 338 edge still sits in the 13lb range with bipod.

Shooting PRS with 16-18 pound rifles over the last few years, makes my 11-14 pound LRH rifles feel like light sporters. Since taking up LRH with heavy barreled rifles several years ago, I found that I soon acclimated to the weight, so much so that my lighter rifles now feel strange. I have also modified my carrying methods which helps a lot. I am a proponent of rifle weight aiding in long range is shooting stability.

I agree with h.c.73. Your rifle is just part of your kit. Do you use a bipod?How much water, lunch are you packing?Heck, how much does yr pack weigh? How much ammo? Do you need that big a knife? Think about your scope. Do you need binoculars? It's all nice, but what is necessary.?
Suggestion: Take 10 rounds, (you're not at the range), don't skimp on water, (always bring the 'mt's out with you!), keep snacks light, no coolers, can you spot with yr scope sight? Think about your clothing. If you're with a partner share some of the gear, etc.,etc. Do a lot of walking, real walking, long before your hunt. Go get 'em.

It has also been demonstrated countless times that light rifles are capable of incredible accuracy. The only places light vs heavy make a real difference are shooting from unsupported positions and punching paper where thousandths count. If you carry a light rifle by all means take your own ability to shoot unsupported with that gun into consideration before you pull the trigger the same way you need to consider your ability at a given range. However if you cant put lead on target with a 7 lb rifle at hunting ranges from typical hunting positions (even long hunting ranges) lugging a 15 pound rifle isnt going to change a thing.

However, if like me you have been blessed with bad knees, 4 or 5 pounds less gear in your kit on the haul in the day hikes looking for deer and the pack out will makes a world of difference.

My day pack with rifle and my bino pouch weigh 35lbs. If I pack my heavy rifle it's close to 40. I hiked 130 miles in September with bow chasing elk. I'll hike at least 200 miles this winter in the snow chasing wolves. Ounces matter. Normally my long range rifles weight 12.5-13.5 (no suppressor), not bad. I have built 2 more, 1 is 9 lbs with suppressor, and the other is 10 with the suppressor. So I have shaved off 3-4 lbs and added hearing pro for me and my dog.

My cooper 92 and scope at 7lbs great pack gun and shoots perfect I use sticks and backpack to hold it steady elk out to 700 yrs it's fine I'm 66 years old 225 lbs I need more water that's why I went lighter fire arm I also take model 52 8.5 lbs as a second gun if needed both long range set ups

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.