rifle weight

I've added weight by removing the recoil pad, drilling a hole in the stock, and pouring liquid epoxy and bird shot into the hole. Then take JB Weld and close the hole and put the recoil pad back on. Make sure you have enough epoxy mixed in so the bird shot stays glued together.

Frank D

Adding lead / shot mixed with epoxy in a synthetic stock is easy. Drilling holes and adding it to a wooden/laminated stock is pretty easy as well. I like it because it contributes to the balance of the gun.

You can also hog out the barrel channel and fill it with lead.

It just depends on how much weight you want to add and how you want the balance to shift.

Mark in Utah

Nighthawk,If you have to add a lot of weight in a small area you can use a product called "Mallory Metal"..Supply through any company that balances race car crankshafts...A piece 4 inchs long and an inch in dia weighs App 2 pounds..Drawback is price!!..JR..Jeff Rogers..ps..there is a new product used which i understand is called Copper Tungsten ,it's about 10 % heavier but i been out of the industry to long to have used it, does the same job though..

I don't mean to but in here being very new, how ever I just had my first custom rifle for long range shooting built in 7MM Rem Mag. I wanted to add some weight and added a Mercury recoil suppressor Made by C&H Laboratories Ltd, and just love it. It added about 16 onz. I wanted to adjust the balance of the Harris 25cs bi-pod I added. I used this rig on and antelope hunt this fall and was successful. Just my two-cents worth.
smile.gif

Richard, did you install the Mercury recoil suppressor yourself? What was the difference in felt recoil? Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.