Light rifle vs lose body weight

So do I, but my rifles are heavy. I don't know how that makes anyone lazy if you're getting the same trigger time as on a light rifle.
If you apply the same effort to working with a light rifle as you do packing a heavy one you can enjoy both accuracy and light weight.
You pack extra weight all day it wears on you, I have only so many miles in my ankle specifically and dropping 8 lbs of a rifle was very noticable at the days end while climbing for sheep or even elk hunting not to mention you have a rifle that is actually usable from more positions than your belly.
I resisted light for a long time rolled out with 14-18 lb guns because I though I needed them for accuracy but that's just a myth. I've dropped over 20 lbs of my whole kit and it's amazing, dropped 30 lbs of my counter weight too which was excellent gained a little back through a stressful summer but elk season usually sees me drop 10+ lbs.

It isn't a myth heavy is more accurate. Proven every weekend at competitions. I would like to see you shoot at 1000 with me to prove your point because I have never seen a 6lb magnum shoot like heavier rifles. Not saying you can't, but I would like to see it since it is the opposite of what I've experienced.

@Mram10us i think bigngreens point is that he can get dependable first hit shots out of light rifles for long range hunting. Those first round hits are just as accurate from a light rifle as they are a heavy rifle. Once you move into the comp realm then things obviously start to change.

I hear ya. Group size pertains to all shots, including cold bore shots. Mainly wanted to clarify the word "myth" he used.

Dropped 23 pounds this year. Feel great other than have some foot pain from over training in July. Rifles around 8-9 pounds carry well for me and allow me nice precision at the distances I hunt at. Everyone needs to find the right balance.

My observation would be that most out of shape guys can't have the right mental outlook on high country hunts to where it will matter what rifle they are packing. Folks spend thousands on guns/scopes/range time and then don't invest in exercising and training for western hunts. Just what I have observed.

I will say the current crop of 20-30 year olds has a large percentage of mountain athletes in it, and they are stacking stuff up.

Some have commented on total weight that you are carrying on the hunt and I totally agree with this position. At 69, I dropped over 30 lbs for this years hunt, trimmed my gear back in my pack. I have kept the weight off with new dietary and exercise so looking forward to 2020 hunts in ND and CO. I use to think I needed to establish a base camp with my pack and now carry lightest essentials I think I need even for emergencies. You will be surprised if you take the time to weigh EVERYTHING you are carrying on your body; clothes, boots (these are big deal weight), the backpack, food, water ( I carry 3 liters), optics, shooting sticks or bipod, rifle (Sendero 300WM). If you weigh everything, you will definitely find ways to lighten the load. I would bet you cannot estimate within 5 lbs of total weight you are actually carrying. I have three different backpacks I use for hunting based upon what I may need for the physicality of the hunt. One is a outside frame pack that can remove the pack so you have a heavy duty pack out frame, internal frame Badlands, and a Cabelas large fanny pack that has multiple add-ons for gear. All have their specific uses and have a weight that I can select for the hunt. Lightweight clothing layering that has dual purpose for rain/snow, lighter boots, lighter pack, drop weight, exercise and you won't even notice the rifle.

I'd rather take 2-4lbs out of my pack then off my rifle. The bottom line is the rifle weight is not the only limiting factor in why you are getting whipped on the hunt.

Well yesterday on ESPN3 Dave Hoff proved once more he is the Strongest Man in the World!
He shattered his 3 lift total by over 80 pounds!! 3102# total!!
He benched 1014#'s!! This guy ranks with Floyd Mayweather and Tom Brady
a total psychical phenom! This kid can bench press about 3X's what a NFL Pro Lineman can!

Last edited:
I am a sheep hunter first, 62 years old and yeah, rifle weight and bulk matters.
I don't go anywhere without a compact spotting scope and German binoculars.
These are essential,all fit into a daypack. Even the takedown rifle can fit in it.

It isn't a myth heavy is more accurate. Proven every weekend at competitions. I would like to see you shoot at 1000 with me to prove your point because I have never seen a 6lb magnum shoot like heavier rifles. Not saying you can't, but I would like to see it since it is the opposite of what I've experienced.
For hunting and short strings, myth!! I've built magnums that weigh 6-6.5 lbs and hunting weight is 8 lbs with a heavier optic and shot three shot groups at 1000 yards in the 3.5-4 inch range. I've seen a 6 lb ready to hunt rifle in a none magnum shoot right there also, can you just flop it on the ground and let it rip heck no, you gotta shoot enough and train so it's flawless execution, put the work in!!
A hunting rifle isn't a PRS rifle or a Bench rest rifle, we certainly can take some aspects of those and bring it into the equation though. My personal rifle right now is a 28 Nosler at 9 lbs, it's stupid accurate and it's very, very well balanced which is more important than just using shear weight to lock it down. My next build is going to be stupid light and probably a 338 SS because my hunting has evolved and I don't need a mile gun but a 0-800 yard super manuverable and light!!

Last edited:
I know the original post was made in a sense of good fun, but weight is obviously experienced differently depending on how it's carried. The point that a long range hunter shouldn't worry too much about rifle weight is well taken, but losing body weight has little bearing on how a rifle feels in your hands or on a sling.

If the rifle is being carried in a pack, then things like body weight come into play a little more, because pack hipbelts work better if you don't have a big ol' gut.

Last edited:
No doubt, we should all be in better shape and dropping a few pounds would help many of us. But, realistically speaking.....dropping 10 pounds of body weight means nothing as compared to dropping rifle weight by 10 pounds. ;) Heck, dropping 20 or 30 pounds would only begin to compensate for an "overweight" rifle. Likely, both hunter and rifle should shed a few pounds! :D memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.