Light rifle vs lose body weight

I did notice the post and also noticed there wasn't a ton of info on it. After owning guns from 5.3 lbs to 10 lbs (bare gun), I have found myself saying, "I wish all guns were as light as my 5.3 lb gun" just because its easier. My 10 lb'er is a 338 NM and my 5.3 lb'er is a 6 dasher and they both shoot lights out. I like to balance the weight of the gun with the recoil. Why wouldn't I wan't to know the weight?

df...,
Well, at 76 I DO "give a crap" about fitness. As a former cross country ski racer and bicycle racer I have been staying fit since those days so I could backpack, backcountry and alpine ski at altitudes above 8,000 ft.

My Bowflex and free weights plus hikes in my Las Vegas area mountains with a 30 lb. pack are what keep me going - well plus good genetics. "Ya gotta pick the right parents."

I may be "the exception" but many others could be too if they just get off the couch.
The saying, "I'd rather wear out than rust out." has a lot of meaning for me.

Eric B.
P.S. "What in the world (am I) going to do with the meat from an elk or mulie?" My new answer to multiple trips out with a pack is a TREK Superfly 5 electric bike which I'll be getting in a few months.
E-bikes have recently been permitted on Forest Service, BLM and National Parks lands that permit mountain bikes per an order from the Secretary of the Interior.

Actually, some of us do exactly that. I pass on Burpees - don't need the empty calories, pass on cross fit - to much intense cardio for me at stage in my life. However, I do walk regularly for a cardio!
You don't do exactly that if you pass on everything but a daily walk in the morning. My example was specific to high intensity training for weight loss to muscle gain or maintenance using a 3 A day split.

df...,
Well, at 76 I DO "give a crap" about fitness. As a former cross country ski racer and bicycle racer I have been staying fit since those days so I could backpack, backcountry and alpine ski at altitudes above 8,000 ft.

My Bowflex and free weights plus hikes in my Las Vegas area mountains with a 30 lb. pack are what keep me going - well plus good genetics. "Ya gotta pick the right parents."

I may be "the exception" but many others could be too if they just get off the couch.
The saying, "I'd rather wear out than rust out." has a lot of meaning for me.

Eric B.
P.S. "What in the world (am I) going to do with the meat from an elk or mulie?" My new answer to multiple trips out with a pack is a TREK Superfly 5 electric bike which I'll be getting in a few months.
E-bikes have recently been permitted on Forest Service, BLM and National Parks lands that permit mountain bikes per an order from the Secretary of the Interior.

Not my example. A weight sesh and skiing not equal level of intensity I used to describe the losing of weight and gaining of strength to be able to carry a "heavy rifle"

To the people commenting on how someone is going to haul heavy loads if they dont want to haul an extra 5 lbs in their gun. Backpacking 101 lesson 1, ounces make pounds. Shave 5 lbs off your gun, half a pound off your water filter, 3 pounds off your pack so on and so forth, it wont take long to cut your total pack by 15 or 20 pounds. That kind of weight is a huge deal when you work for your kill. A mid weight camp vs the almost ultralight camp I had would have been the difference between hauling my coues deer and camp out in one trip this fall or having to make two. Am I fit enough to make multiple trips? Yeah, I made 6 laps to get my elk out a few years ago. But why would I when the right equipment for the job will mitigate the need?

Losing body weight doesn't help you carry or lift more. Hence why you try to gain weight when body building (muscle gains). Lifting more with less fat doesn't make you athletic or give you endurance. Half the people on here appear to be on verge of death by old age... I don't think dudes in their 60s give a crap enough to go do burpees in the morning, CrossFit in the afternoon and split a lift session at night to shoot their rifle.
LOL man'g this made my day. I was going to say perceived weight is what you get from carrying a rifle slung. Versus carrying weight evenly distributed throughout your body. But yes losing weight is always easier on your body of you are overweight. I'm a very muscular individual, and to me a 5lb versus 10lb rifle is not noticed. I used to do a 12 hour roving watch carrying a full sized M60 and associated gear in the Navy. This is an extreme, but it's easier to just buy or build an ultralight rifle versus embark on changing your body composition as affore mentioned.. My cardio health is good enough so thay I can carry said gear for very long distances at a slow pace. If I were doing high speed stuff, I would need to lose weight and slowly increase my stamina. It takes significant time and effort, and a period of discomfort. Most folks would rather allpw themselves reach apathy and die than go through this uncomfortable process. So trying to argue your weight case to sell an older heavier rifle is probably less effective than arguing the merits of the rifle itself.

I have bounced up and down 25 pounds or more most of my life. I used to work in forestry and hiked 8ish hours a day every day. I would average around 6-7 miles with a 30-35 pound survey vest on daily, mostly on ground >40% slopes (live in the rockies) So I had awesome lung power back then. Now that I have a mill management job I average about 3000 steps a day between the printer and computer. But I do lift weights 3 days a week and do 40 min of cardio 3 days a week. I can tell you they are in no way the same, shape to hike 10 hours upslope is a different shape than gym shape. Gym sure helps, but its not the same.
A 15 pound gun is still heavy no matter what you weigh. And a 15 pound gun will always be more stable from field positions than a 5 pound sheep rifle. Yes a sheep rifle can be very accurate, but when you are talking 700+ yards every person will be more consistent with a heavier rifle. Especially from a modified field position.
In the mountains it will always be easier to climb a hill at a lower total weight, body or rifle. But a heavy rifle will always feel heavy. On the prairies a 15 pound gun is not an issue at all, deer blind setup on a field yup I am gonna take more rifle weight. Mountain hunting I really don't want to pack more than an 8ish pound rifle.
You have to decide how far you want to shoot consistently, and decide how much weight you are willing to pack.

I think some of you need to put as much effort into your shooting as your cardio, if you need a 15 lb rifle to shoot excellently your just as lazy as the guy who can't make it 100 yards from the truck. I have no issues shooting small with a 6 lb magnum at 1000+ yards but I put time and effort into it!!

I think some of you need to put as much effort into your shooting as your cardio, if you need a 15 lb rifle to shoot excellently your just as lazy as the guy who can't make it 100 yards from the truck. I have no issues shooting small with a 6 lb magnum at 1000+ yards but I put time and effort into it!!

So do I, but my rifles are heavy. I don't know how that makes anyone lazy if you're getting the same trigger time as on a light rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.