Light rifle vs lose body weight

I mostly hunt solo. My pack usually has enough gear I could make it a week out there if something happened. Carrying more in my pack I want to carry a lighter rifle. My pack rifle is just a touch over 7lbs hunting weight. I am comfortable with it to 700yds. Maybe a touch furthor in perfect conditions. I try to train/exercise daily if possible. I feel im pretty fit. Regardless how you look at it. Carrying less weight will give you more duration. Body weight and pack weight are two different things in my book. You will always be conditioned to carrying your body weight. Obviously some people better than others. Pack weight is above and beyond body weight. You have to train and condition for that. Less is more there. I carry a rifle based on what im doing. Walking to a treestand in can carry my 38lb 50bmg no worries. Hiking hills it will be my 7lb 7saum. Open plains a 10lb 25-300wsm is fine. But pack weight varies drasticly per situation. Pick a weight rifle youd be comfortable with. Different for everybody and every situation. I see nothing wrong with wanting light gear. Look at through hikers. They are some extremely fit people. But they pay $100s for a pound or 2 of weight savings. Just to be more comfortable. Carry what your comfortable with for your situation.

Adam

The August high country mulie hunts are the worst because we have to pack in water or walk back down the mountain.... ugh

I bring 2 rifles.
In fact I just did this last week for 1st elk season.

First 2 days my "long range" 10 pound rifle goes with me in hope's of getting a lr shot on an elk, after day 2 I then bring my "mid range" 30-06 that weighs in at under 7 pounds scoped with ammo--- why? After 2 days of hunting public land all the elk are hiding in the dense treed areas and long range shots are pretty much a pipe dream. Day 3- 6 I'm walking like crazy up and down steep terrain looking for areas with no other hunters. I trim down on any weight for these days, just bare minimums

Now if I back country hunt and pack in all my gear to where there are no other hunters, this might be different.

Personally I think more people should put fitness into a higher regard. A friend of mine just bought a Kimber accent, then had a new barrel put on because it didn't shoot well, all to save a couple of lbs. He hunts close to his truck and is 30+ lbs over weight. Hasn't once done anything about his nutrition or fitness. It's just something I don't understand. I'm down with lightweight rifles for their intended use, in fact I'm putting together a lighter mountain gun now too. That said I'm 5-9, 165lbs, and have trimmed my hunting gear weight down everywhere else for my backcountry hunts. I'm not a big guy, so I can only haul so much. When I'm hunting closer in or expecting longer shots I usually carry a slightly heavier gun. For longer shots elk hunting I carry a 300wm chassis gun that's close to our weight limit here in Idaho. But if my pack is lighter, I can add the weight of a heavier gun and not have any problems with it. I like spotting my impacts, and a heavier gun helps there too.

"What does it weigh"? Seems like a perfectly reasonable buyers question to me. Most manufactures, corporate, and individual provide this information readily.

Maybe that's too much maturity to ask from some of our younger members:rolleyes:

"What does it weigh"? Seems like a perfectly reasonable buyers question to me. Most manufactures, corporate, and individual provide this information readily.

Maybe that's too much maturity to ask from some of our younger members:rolleyes:

Maturity? There's always one.... however, I am flattered you called me young! Thanks

Last edited:
It has also been demonstrated countless times that light rifles are capable of incredible accuracy. The only places light vs heavy make a real difference are shooting from unsupported positions and punching paper where thousandths count. If you carry a light rifle by all means take your own ability to shoot unsupported with that gun into consideration before you pull the trigger the same way you need to consider your ability at a given range. However if you cant put lead on target with a 7 lb rifle at hunting ranges from typical hunting positions (even long hunting ranges) lugging a 15 pound rifle isnt going to change a thing.

However, if like me you have been blessed with bad knees, 4 or 5 pounds less gear in your kit on the haul in the day hikes looking for deer and the pack out will makes a world of difference.

Last edited:
Buddro, light rifles can be accurate, but they are not as accurate as heavier rifles. That is why there are light and heavy rifle classes. Heavy is always more accurate. Don't take my word for it. Take a 8lb 300rum and compare your groups to a 12lb 300rum. In my experience building and shooting light and heavy rifles, heavy wins. Is it by leaps and bounds, no. But the premise is correct. Does it matter to hunters, maybe, maybe not.

Last edited:
If you know your load and know your rifle. What is the difference in the first round shot from a 7lb rifle to the first round shot from a 12lb rifle? If im worried about groups im beyond my or my rifles capabilities. I understand sh** happens hunting. But if I am that concerned about a follow up shot. I probably shouldnt be taking the shot.

Adam

Groups pertain to first shots too. Again, most times it doesn't matter for us hunters, but heavier is more forgiving is all I'm saying

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.