Light changing and scope adjustments

woodnut

Not a great heading but here's the situation. Last evening a bunch of us were shooting at 300 yds. and the lighting, sun, was good. My rifle was 1/4 inch high right. Shot a three shot group of close to an inch. Later shot 2 more and they printed a touch lower and still about 1 1/2 inch. Paper target.
Sun went down and we were shooting in light we could not see the target/can with our eyes! But through my NF ATACR and a spotting scope it could be. But none of use could hit the can and it was a bigger target,too! Tried up and down, nada. This was a first for shooting in dark conditions so all of us were baffled.
I heard that as light gets brighter or dimmer, you shoot higher or lower ? But my memory is for 100 yard shooting in dimming or brighter light, not light to dark dark.
Anyone out there who can explain if it is because of the dark and what it does to bullet strike? I mean, we still saw the target and crosshairs but no one hit the can sitting there. Hard to call shots too. Don't believe for a minute it was the rifle, but will , when can, verify that. For now, I just want to know about shooting in drastic light changes, what it does to elevations, bullet strike. Hope I am making sense and you understand what I'm after!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.