Rangefinders and Wind Adjustments

treillw

I'm just getting into long range shooting. I've hunted for about 15 years and have been shooting for longer than that, but I never really shot much past 100 yards. I have a different thread helping me decide which rifle to purchase, where I have gotten lots of useful information.

What I'm wondering now is once I have "the perfect rifle", what is the best method of making adjustments for range, wind, etc. Currently I'm thinking of getting a scope with adjustable turrets. I haven't done a ton of research, but the G7 BR2 range finder seems like it would be a great tool to have. Would this measure everything that needs to be measured for making corrections? I'm not too sure how it does the wind corrections. Any other suggestions on products that are proven to work well?

Thanks!

The G7 is great but youll need another device like a Kestral to measure wind. Youll input the wind stats into the G7. Your other option is to get a normal range finder and use an App on a smartphone for your ballistics data.

Make sure whatever scope you get has a reticle that matches the turrets. I prefer Mil/Mil but there are plenty of people that use Moa/Moa also. Just stay away from a Mil reticle with Moa turrets, which seem to be popular for some reason.

Hope this helps.

The G7 works well. I just received the new version for myself after doing some field testing with a demo they sent me. The G7 gives you wind corrections for ever 5mph full value wind up to I think 35mph. So you would only need a simple wind meter to measure the wind and find the corresponding wind correction and it gives you the scope data to apply for the shot or to hold off for.

The g7 is a great tool. However, it is big, heavy, and you still need a wind meter. I use the Kestrel 4500AB and the Leica 1600. This gives you a more accurate solution at a lesser price. They are small and will fit in your shirt pockets. They are also handy and fun to take anytime your outdoors.

The g7 is a great tool. However, it is big, heavy, and you still need a wind meter. I use the Kestrel 4500AB and the Leica 1600. This gives you a more accurate solution at a lesser price. They are small and will fit in your shirt pockets. They are also handy and fun to take anytime your outdoors.

I use the same tools. The G2 will cost about the same as both the Kestrel and Leica and IMO those two are much better than the G2. The BC program on Kestrel is dead on. I have the Horus.

I really like the G7. Just got back from goat hunting with 4 goats taken in a variety of challenging terrain settings. It was dead on with kills from 650-1200 yards. This is my 5th season with a G7. Just upgraded(this season) to the new version. Definitely easier ranging from 1000-1400 yards. Outputs are identicle to my Terrapin/Kestral combo. Great technology!!

Greyfox, does the new version allow for spin drift and coriolis?
No. I would be nice but its not an issue for my shooting under 1200 yards. Once I get above 1000 yards, I'll correct Coriolis ,5MOA accordingly if I'm shooting west or east at my hunting latitudes, spin drift from 700 yards I'll correct .5MOA. Works very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.