LH eject and single feed for RH shooters, Why Not?

WildRose

I know there are some customs set up this way and even a couple that can be ambidextrous but when we're talking bolt guns and specifically those made to be shot prone or from the bench where your off hand is always free so why don't we see more actions designed this way?

It seems immensely more practical for the field and I would think safer as well because the ejected brass would fly/roll away or be much easier to catch for those of us who prefer to catch our brass rather than let it fly.

Is there something that makes the manufacturing more difficult or is it just different and since we're all used to what we've always had manufacturers are afraid of taking the risk that they wouldn't sell?

I do it on Savage Target actions, I buy left port right bolt them cut a right micro port so I can feed in with my free hand then eject out the right so the ejecting case does not interfere with feeding. Most customs will also cut a left port right bolt or vice versa.

If you want to catch brass a Kelbly action cut with a right bolt left port and with a TG ejector lets you control the eject from picking it out to just rolling it out to shooting it out, really like that set up!!

I do it on Savage Target actions, I buy left port right bolt them cut a right micro port so I can feed in with my free hand then eject out the right so the ejecting case does not interfere with feeding. Most customs will also cut a left port right bolt or vice versa.

If you want to catch brass a Kelbly action cut with a right bolt left port and with a TG ejector lets you control the eject from picking it out to just rolling it out to shooting it out, really like that set up!!
Yep I've seen several. I'm just wondering that with as practical as such setups are why more manufacturers particularly of LR/Tactical bolt guns aren't doing it.

Is it just because we shooters tend to be creatures of habit who for the most part don't like change?

Speculation on my part as far as tactical use:

Will allow more debris into the action, based upon how much dust/dirt/sand that can get into a conventional action, having a hole in the receiver wall, would just make it worse

Creates potential weak point in action, we tend to not drop our weapons out of perfectly good aircraft, accidentally or otherwise, not so with some potential end users.

Extra machining time and even with CNC some tuning may be required

A magazine feed is becoming more important on tactical rifles, meaning that topping up is now simply a magazine switch versus feeding rounds into the action.

Multiple target engagements in built up terrain, would really for the most part negate the need for the ability to single load with the off hand.

There might also be concern on action flex by end users, even though those of us that have used such actions see no real difference, perception can make or break a product.

I see where you're coming from. I, for one, really like the left bolt on my specialty pistol. It makes it so that the bolt can be run without breaking trigger grip. I would like a hunting pistol to be left port left bolt, so everything can be processed with the off hand. I think as far as hunting rifles go, its just easier for everyone to continue using the right port right bolt that they've become accustomed to.

I see where you're coming from. I, for one, really like the left bolt on my specialty pistol. It makes it so that the bolt can be run without breaking trigger grip. I would like a hunting pistol to be left port left bolt, so everything can be processed with the off hand. I think as far as hunting rifles go, its just easier for everyone to continue using the right port right bolt that they've become accustomed to.
I'm talking about the bolt handle still working the same on the right side but the loading/ejection port being on the left. It just seems much more practical ergonomically.

You not only have to break your shooting grip to work the bolt but back off the rifle completely to grab the brass and toss in another round as it is.

yeah, i see and agree, without ponying up big bucks for a custom action, it is about impossible to find that. i think the most reasonable action like that is the savage target action.

All is fine until someone blows a case and gets it in the face. Liability is probably a big factor. I have a RB/LP and it is great at the bench.

Paul

yeah, i see and agree, without ponying up big bucks for a custom action, it is about impossible to find that. i think the most reasonable action like that is the savage target action.
There are some customs that are actually completely ambidextrous. Savage may be a head of the curve with theirs.

I'm from a generation though where through most of my first 45 years of life Savages were absolute crap and I just can't bring myself to buy one.

It's really hard to talk myself into anything but the CRF claw feed Model 70's but I have a few others.

All is fine until someone blows a case and gets it in the face. Liability is probably a big factor. I have a RB/LP and it is great at the bench.

Paul
How would you be more likely to get it in the face? If you blow a gun up and you are behind it, you're in trouble.

Millions of LH shooters shooting right handed rifles over the years haven't run into any more problems with that than RH shooters as far as I know.

Try standing, sitting, or kneeling with no shooting sticks(I.e. your hands are the support) and staying on target with you trigger hand not being the hand cycling the bolt. Just my one cent, can't afford to give two:Dgun)

For other applications where you have forend support other than your hands, yeah a left port might have some advantages.

kyron,

Here is the original question:

... but when we're talking bolt guns and specifically those made to be shot prone or from the bench where your off hand is always free so why don't we see more actions designed this way?
No mention of standing, kneeling, sitting or shooting sticks. Simply prone or benchrest where the left hand can be free except in Palma prone or High Power prone where the arm and hand are support.

I have switched several of my competition rifles over to this configuration because it keeps the brass on my bench or on my pad as long as I have softened up the ejector spring. These are by the way all single shots used for F-Class and Long Range Benchrest.

I am also building two long range hunting rifles with the RB/LP configuration with one using an internal magazine and the other using a DBM.

If you're really looking for the cat's meow, you need to call Jerry Stiller and complain to him about not finishing up his drop port actions for the prone and benchrest folks. These actions are used for the 6mmBR and variations on that case where the ejection is through the bottom of the action. Simply place a small box beneath the action and the port allows the case to drop into the box. Here is the link to the action illustration:

Drop-Port Actions — Stiller's Slick Innovation « Daily Bulletin

Defiance will machine most of these combinations without additional charges unlike some of the 'big name' customs who charge for every little thing.

This is not one of mine but it is a similar example of the construction:

Defiance_Rebel_RB_LP_LR_Benchrest.jpg

Here is the action by itself:

Defiance_Rebel_RB_LP.jpg

Besides the Defiance actions I use I have built one benchrest rifle using a RB/LP Borden action which is a super smooth and reliable action.

Regards.

practice-practice-practice, when no LH rifles were available, I have and will

continue to shoot RH actions. LH is a gift not a curse. lightbulbgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts