How many guys single feed?

The first and only shot should count and not rely on another shots to be used;) to complete the task.

The first and only shot should count and not rely on another shots to be used;) to complete the task.
[/QUOTE

This is a LONG RANGE forum. When shooting and HUNTING ANIMALS at long range we do out best to analyze all the data the best we possibly can and then take a SWAG. Due to environmental factors that first shot may not even be aimed at the animal — but laterally to verify POI. This first shot typically does not alarm the animal to the point of it hightailing it to another zip code. It DOES however, give the shooter the corrected dope for the next shot - which is the KILL shot.
If you spend all your time loading one round at the range, breaking your cheek weld, thinking for 5 minutes what you need to do to correct your dope, you are missing a very large skill component of long range shooting. The SHOOTING part of long range shooting is the EASY part. The MASTERY is the ability to read then CORRECT for the wind and distance to make a center hit.
First round hits don't always occur, your goal should be to pursue proficiency in correcting what you THOUGHT was the right dope.... and you have to be able to SPOT YOUR SHOT to be able to do this.! So, Step It Up Cowboy ! .... you're on a Long Range Forum

I have never seen a sighter in the field. I agree the one shot, one kill is still valid in LR. I wouldn't shoot so far that I would need a sighter for environmental factors. That said, I have shot rocks to get a bedded buck to stand up :)

I've weighted the bear thing and I've seen a couple that there was no chance to even bring a rifle up to even get one round let alone do a mag dump so I've gone with the rifle is dropped and a real pistol comes out, something without a scope and plenty of HP to drop heavy amounts of lead on target.

Larry Kelly says HP ammo from a .44 mag will not make it to the vitals of a grizzly. He fired six into one. They discovered that fact because the other guy killed it with a rifle.

I have never seen a sighter in the field. I agree the one shot, one kill is still valid in LR. I wouldn't shoot so far that I would need a sighter for environmental factors. That said, I have shot rocks to get a bedded buck to stand up :)
Did you or your spotter see where you hit when you shot that rock?

If yes, then technically, you have seen a sighter 😀

I haven't done it myself, but I have heard of it being done, and know that it would certainly work, it is rare that the remainder of a group takes off right away after I shoot a critter at 600+, unless they are pronghorn. They will run from almost anything ha ha.

Did you or your spotter see where you hit when you shot that rock?

If yes, then technically, you have seen a sighter 😀

I haven't done it myself, but I have heard of it being done, and know that it would certainly work, it is rare that the remainder of a group takes off right away after I shoot a critter at 600+, unless they are pronghorn. They will run from almost anything ha ha.
It was only 580, so it doesn't count as LR :)
It was actually this year. We saw a nice buck go into a little cluster of trees and disappear for 30 minutes. Got impatient and decided to give it a try. He jumped out, ran maybe 25 yards, stood broadside and looked back toward the rock. Pretty funny that it worked

I hunt with repeaters, though I grew up hunting big game with a single shot break open until I was probably 14 or 15 so I'm not scared of them.

I want to build a single shot big boomer 375 and I want to be able to hunt with it. My worry is most actions don't have a port long enough to eject a loaded round if it goes "click" seems like removing the entire bolt to eject a live case is a bad idea in the field.

Curious, because I have always single fed my 338 edge and rums because I seated the bigger bullets out so far. Became a habit and now I catch myself doing it with my rounds that will feed.

I have a couple of throated barrels that rounds are loaded so long with heavy for the cal. bullets that you have to single feed

A new post on "How do you hunt safe in bear country" seems fitting. If I am in bear country and truly concerned, I strap the rifle and carry a 23" 870 all purpose with 2 71/2s followed by 4Buck x 3. I am more scared of lions actually, and I am quicker and much deadlier with a pump 12. Nothing cuts like magnum 12 lead at 20 feet.

I hear, you through mismanagement we have low deer population and lots of cats
The the golf course keep some trails open for people to walk there dogs.
Now the cougars eat the dogs right of the lease.
The local cougar hunter removed 20 of them within town limits.
These attacks happen lighting fast,one pretty well has to carry the shot gun in hand and no sling.

As far as bullets being battered in the mag. box :my big guns 416 500AS have dents in the front of the box in a perfect pattern as to how the lay in the magazine lol

I think deformation of cartridges would be less likely in push feed actions.
Mausers are the worse.
Staggered magazines dont help either.
Single stack mag (Tikka,Sako) and push feed I think are the least harmful.😯

I have a couple of throated barrels that rounds are loaded so long with heavy for the cal. bullets that you have to single feed
[/QUOTE there is nothing wrong to single feed or full magazine.. but i solve the problem changing stock and magazine i can fulfill my magazine with long seated bullet on 300 win mag up to 3.580 now.. i can go to 3.650 but until now i'm satisfied i don't really need.. and i love have my magazine full , more weight. more stability, at least for me... i never really mind to have more weight to carry around... is an excuse to keep in shape my harms and legs.. exercises without paying a gym 🤣😛🤣😛

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.