LH custom 28 Nosler. do I buy?

matemike

Yesterday, I came across a Left handed Stiller action custom rifle with a carbon barrel, beautiful muzzle brake, carbon fiber stock, qd sling mount cups, pic rails for scope base rings and a bipod, and a jewel trigger in 28 Nosler. The rifle was presumably put together by Gunwerks according to the store owner. The quick story was that a guy (loyal customer to this gun store) built this thing to all of his own wants then decided to go a different route. The clerk figured he had about $8k into the rifle. The store bought it from him for $5k, But it hasn't moved in so long that it now is marked at $4k. Store owner admitted his is going to lose his butt. Finally, being left handed might have an advantage.
So there it sits, a beautiful custom rig, unfired and flawless. I have never handled a custom rifle like this before, much less shot one. I always knew they'd be smooth, but I was blown away.
So I came home a read all about the 28 Nossler. I understand it's intentions and capabilities and I just don't think they match up to what my intentions are. At such high prices for cases and the amount of powder needed to burn I'm leaning against buying the rifle. Although IF I were to jump all in I could share reloading components between my 7mm rem mag and this 28N other than the dies and cases of course.
I even got the wife's okay on this deal for an AWESOME rifle, but I can't seem to find the desire to jump into 28 Nosler.
I already have a Browning 7mm Rem mag that I have had pillar and glass bedded and put a Timney trigger in. It's a sweet shooter. I also have a Savage 308 with a bull barrel sitting in an XLR Chassis and it is a tack driver. Not a good hunting rifle though being it is so big and bulky. I've shot targets with both of those rifles at 1,000 yards with great results.
I also have a Rem 700 30-06 that is RH and more of an heirloom. It's the first rifle I ever shot a deer with.

I'll be honest, most of my hunting is done at 300 yards or less. I have that covered. The only thing I do not have is a custom rifle like this one that I came across yesterday. FYI, a sweet LH custom rifle like this has been on my "list" for a while now. I just wish it were chambered in a cartridge that I am already vested in with reloading and whatnot.
But sheesh, at $4k for a rifle that is this nice, do I pass based on not wanting to get into a new caliber? How much would it cost to rebarrel to 7mm rem mag? I figure the action, bolt and bolt face are already good to go. I'd just need a new barrel with 7mm RM chamber. right?

If you're seriously interested in the rifle, I would leave it a 28 Nosler and load lighter loads. You can always tune a bigger cartridge down and if you ever want more, you can turn it up.

If it was me i would pass. Being left handed myself i know the troubles buying and selling left hand rifles. For less than 4k you can have one of your rifles built up the way you want it in the caliber you prefer. You also need to ask yourself why would somebody spend 8k on a rifle and then ditch it!

If you're worried how much powder a 28 Nosler burns, a $4000 rifle is not for you.
Sorry, I meant the amount of powder in grains, not dollars. I would be burning through my pounds faster and I already have trouble finding my favorite go-to's on a regular basis.

It's a nice rifle no doubt. I think I needed to see one that nice in person to make me continue my pursuit or increase my desire to build one some day. It is not quite my "unicorn" though.

Got it.

For $4000, even if it is an extra good deal, the gun has to be in a caliber I would want. Otherwise, you'll always be a little disappointed with it. And, $4000 is too much to be anything less that %100 satisfied.

That being said, while it is certainly extreme overkill for 300 yard shots on Texas whitetails or hogs, the 28 Nosler is a great western cartridge.

The price doesn't really sound that great to me. Add it up:
Stiller- 995.00
Carbon barrel of your choice: 700.00
Manners/McMillan with flush cups etc: 800.00
Cerakote: 250.00 ish
Bottom metal/follower etc: 200.00
Jewel: 225.00
Break and install: 220.00 ish
Rail: 120.00
Total 3510.00 plus a chamber job and bedding.
those prices are on the high side, if you shop around you could probably get all the parts for 3200.00 ish and have 800.00 for bedding and a chamber job and that easily takes care of those. Then get it chambered in the cartridge you want, with the stock you want, in the colors you want.

I wouldn't put huge $$ into a rifle with rather high throat erosion rate. To get speed out of a 28N you will have to push her a bit. My brother gave me a Brux 8 twist in 28N to re-barrel a tired 7rum; the 'smith had to take over an inch off of the shank to get full enough rifling to get the pilot tight (I decided to stay 7rum so we had to re-chamber) after 57 rounds. I'm a good bit lucky my brother bought a long shank blank to start with.
Yes, a barrel is a bit like a set of tires and replaceable, but I'm still not willing to toss over a thousand at a re-barrel with another carbon wrapped barrel every year or two either.

I own a left handed 28 nosler built on a stiller action. Stiller's actions do not impress me at all for the money. Mine likes to bind if I try to work the bolt fast and the bolt has as much or or play in the raceways than factory rem 700 bolt. I also have way less money into my rifle than that. In my opinion you can get way more rifle for 4k than that. Unless it comes as a complete package from gunworks with a scope and ammo, etc.

Yesterday, I came across a Left handed Stiller action custom rifle with a carbon barrel, beautiful muzzle brake, carbon fiber stock, qd sling mount cups, pic rails for scope base rings and a bipod, and a jewel trigger in 28 Nosler. The rifle was presumably put together by Gunwerks according to the store owner. The quick story was that a guy (loyal customer to this gun store) built this thing to all of his own wants then decided to go a different route. The clerk figured he had about $8k into the rifle. The store bought it from him for $5k, But it hasn't moved in so long that it now is marked at $4k. Store owner admitted his is going to lose his butt. Finally, being left handed might have an advantage.
So there it sits, a beautiful custom rig, unfired and flawless. I have never handled a custom rifle like this before, much less shot one. I always knew they'd be smooth, but I was blown away.
So I came home a read all about the 28 Nossler. I understand it's intentions and capabilities and I just don't think they match up to what my intentions are. At such high prices for cases and the amount of powder needed to burn I'm leaning against buying the rifle. Although IF I were to jump all in I could share reloading components between my 7mm rem mag and this 28N other than the dies and cases of course.
I even got the wife's okay on this deal for an AWESOME rifle, but I can't seem to find the desire to jump into 28 Nosler.
I already have a Browning 7mm Rem mag that I have had pillar and glass bedded and put a Timney trigger in. It's a sweet shooter. I also have a Savage 308 with a bull barrel sitting in an XLR Chassis and it is a tack driver. Not a good hunting rifle though being it is so big and bulky. I've shot targets with both of those rifles at 1,000 yards with great results.
I also have a Rem 700 30-06 that is RH and more of an heirloom. It's the first rifle I ever shot a deer with.

I'll be honest, most of my hunting is done at 300 yards or less. I have that covered. The only thing I do not have is a custom rifle like this one that I came across yesterday. FYI, a sweet LH custom rifle like this has been on my "list" for a while now. I just wish it were chambered in a cartridge that I am already vested in with reloading and whatnot.
But sheesh, at $4k for a rifle that is this nice, do I pass based on not wanting to get into a new caliber? How much would it cost to rebarrel to 7mm rem mag? I figure the action, bolt and bolt face are already good to go. I'd just need a new barrel with 7mm RM chamber. right?
I mean GOSH....if the wife Gave You Permission...you should just run right over and get it....before she CHANGES HER MIND!