Leveling your scope quick and easy

I just ordered the EXD engineering scope reticle leveling gadget from Brownells. I was able to see Google pics of the device in use - simple & durable construction.
It looks like similar method as Real Avid gizmo but without all the extraneous parts & the screen light projection.
I might need to re-zero a bunch of rifles.
I should have been able to make something like this but did not.

He's saying it's better to index off the bottom of the turret housing bc the reticle is true to the bottom of the housing. Guys put levels on the tops of turrets and often they are not actually plumb. The Arisaka tool is the easiest way to get your scope level if you have full pic rail.

For everyone with no flat spots or rails, I've been using the plum-bob and flashlight method.

Last edited:
Well, if the surface the bipod is sitting on isnt exactly level, what good is leveling the scope?
The same can be said assuming the surface is level but the bipod isnt accurate as for both legs being equal?
And assuming both of those things are accurate, then why cant any object that is plumb, like the corner of a building be used for properly aligning the reticle?
The surface doesn't matter because the bipod he's using allows the rifle to rock sideways. The bench may not be perfectly level, front to back, but the bubble is in a curved tube so that the bubble is at the top when level.

Hope this helps.

The surface doesn't matter because the bipod he's using allows the rifle to rock sideways. The bench may not be perfectly level, front to back, but the bubble is in a curved tube so that the bubble is at the top when level.

Hope this helps.
Well then my next question would be, if by canting the rifle you can correct the scope alignment, then why is it necessary that the scope be perfect to begin with? lol
Realize this, your talking to a man in his very late 80s.
Who remembers very well when nobody even had scopes.
And when they became popular they were installed with just a screwdriver.
The user would just shoulder the rifle and see if it looked ok to at least him.
When long range came about for some of us in the 60s, it didnt change the way we installed scopes.
And we never realized that there were any problems.
And you know why?
Because there werent any.
About 10 or so years ago Bruce Baer installed a new Nightforce on one of my guns.
The only tool he used was a screwdriver, after he checked it, he asked me to look thru it.
Since im a lefty, i had him turn it slightly before he tightened it down.
Mind you, in PA. most long rangers shoot from a bench when hunting.
And we do level our bench side to side when setting it up.
At least some of us do, i certainly cant speak for all.

I use this method to insure my rail (rifle) is level but I then aim (rifle empty of course) at a 20 story flat top building many miles away and level my scope such that the horizontal crosshair lines up with the top of the building and the vertical is plumb with one of the sides. I then confirm with a second level, but must confess I have always put it on the top turret. In any event, you can quickly see if the building doesn't taper because if it did, the vertical would not be plumb. Very easy but I can only do this when in Phoenix. In CO, my wife had the guy who built our house (a LRH member) construct a clothes line (which she hardly ever uses). I checked the metal poles with a level and use them - but I much prefer the tall method I use in CO since it is so far away and has a perfectly level top.

In reality, you can get really close eyeballing it. Close enough for most practical purposes. It's only when you start talking long distance and precision that it makes a difference on POI (that may or may not be important to you). Forums like this have brought many ideas to light and help people understand what factors may be important to them.
On a side note Yobuck, I still shoot the Lilja barrel that Bruce Baer chambered for me in 308 Baer about 25 years ago (although I recently rechambered it into a 30 Nosler). He was a legend back then.