Leveling your scope quick and easy

I have one of the Arisaka tools, but when the base or rail itself isn't plumb and true on the receiver you end up going a ways down the path before discovering that you have a problem.
Very true (pardon the pun). One would not expect this from a custom precision build but take something like a Savage 110 for example, where the taps are off (ever so slightly) on that round top receiver. Then, your rail and or rings are off too. No big deal if it's equal front to back but it can be a pain.

The other thing with smaller sporting rifles is that you think you have everything true and plumb (and it may be) then you shoulder the rifle and depending upon your cheek weld, you think you're standing on a roof.

Honest question, why not use this device that levels in a similar fashion. Uses the wedges to square the bottom of the scope to the picatinny.

For me, it's quick and easy.
View attachment 528836View attachment 528837
I bought one of these but there wasn't enough room between the picatinny rail and the bottom of the scope so I couldn't use it. I was bummed.

Using the bottom of the turret housing assumes the crosshair is exactly aligned with the bottom. The crosshair etched on a piece of round glass and then placed inside the scope may not be aligned with the bottom housing like some turret caps are not aligned.

I only trust aligning the crosshair (not the scope body) with a level reference 100 yds from the scope like the side of a building, a post I've checked with a level, etc.

I have no time to go into details. Great all around tool. Use with a plumb line. Used it many times.

20240104_085229.jpg
20240104_085218.jpg
20240104_085218.jpg

Cool Tip, Bought the Wheeler engineering set up long ago. Do you follow up with test on paper?
Like motioned here

Do crosshairs come up level when you shoulder rifle? If not loosen rings slightly and twist scope until the bubble/crosshairs are level when you shoulder scope. Repeat. Scope to rifle level isn't important - its a round barrel !

Well, if the surface the bipod is sitting on isnt exactly level, what good is leveling the scope?
The same can be said assuming the surface is level but the bipod isnt accurate as for both legs being equal?
And assuming both of those things are accurate, then why cant any object that is plumb, like the corner of a building be used for properly aligning the reticle?

Do crosshairs come up level when you shoulder rifle? If not loosen rings slightly and twist scope until the bubble/crosshairs are level when you shoulder scope. Repeat. Scope to rifle level isn't important - its a round barrel !
This is what's called in logic as a "false analogy". The scope is not mounted inside the round barrel. The scope is mounted 1-3 inches above the center of the barrel which imparts an arc to the scope/crosshair when the rifle is tilted and the crosshair is adjusted for long range.

This is what's called in logic as a "false analogy". The scope is not mounted inside the round barrel. The scope is mounted 1-3 inches above the center of the barrel which imparts an arc to the scope/crosshair when the rifle is tilted and the crosshair is adjusted for long range.
Lets think about it - if the scope reticle is level - does it matter that the rifle is canted? Assume you had scope mounted 45 degrees to the side but rotated in rings so cross hairs were vertical. Rotate turrets 10 moa rifle barrel goes up 10 moa.