Leupold vx6 thoughts?

jimsbriar

Does anyone have thoughts on the leupold vx6 line? I am looking at putting teh 3x18x44 vx6 on my sako finnlight 300 wsm. Considering the lighted duplex reticle

Pros: lightest scope in 30 mm tube at that magnification, lifetime warranty.

Cons: glass clarity? Repeatability? Low light performance?

I looked at many other scopes including SB, Zeiss,Swarovski,NF, and on and on. But they are either well over 20 oz, more magnification than I need, or not offered in 30 mm tube.

This is a mountain gun used in heavy timber. That being said most shots are within 100 yards, but the opportunity exists for 500 yard shots quite often.

Weight is a big/huge concern. I cover 6-8 miles or more each day.

Cost is not really my concern. Weight, clarity of glass and light transmission are. Conditions are often rainy and the I work though dark timber stands routinely going from shadows, to darkness, to bright sun. Welcome to north Idaho!:)

I own several Zeiss hd scopes in 1 inch tube, but want a scope in 30mm to get better light transmission

I have always steered away from Leopold, not sure why. Think its because like a lot of scope manufacturers, they make an entry level scope and a high end scope. And, it seems like many people I know buy the entry level and eventually switch out to something better.

So, before I launch on a sizable investment, I want your advice.

Thanks in advance.

I have a 2-12 VX6 with the B&C reticle . I've hunted with it one season and I do like it . I think it's pretty good in low light too . I was able to make a shot at about 25 minutes after sunset .

Good morning,
Down in the long range optics section there is a thread going on vx6 verses a nightforce scope. Might take a look at that. Both my brother and I are using a vx6 on 300 mags. They seem to work well. Seem to have fairly good glass quality, turrets are repeatable. The scopes power range is great for packing on the low setting for those closer quick shots but plenty power for the longer shots. Don't feel the turrets are as crisp as the nightforce. Over all would purchase another one, especially for a dedicated hunting rifle. Good luck

Like dmj mentioned above, the VX-6, VX-6HD, or new VX-5HD are all excellent scopes for your intended purpose......these scopes are light (perfect for carry/hunting), low light performance is solid, and although the turrets are a bit mushy, they are repeatable. I have the new 3-15x-44mm vx-5HD w/ windplex reticle on my primary hunting rifle.

If going the vx-6 route, I believe Natchez has the best deal on the internet right now, and as of yesterday, were offering an additional 10% off.

For hunting situation, you can't beat the VX6 in my opinion. I have the exact scope you mentioned with the TMOA reticle on a custom 300 WM and it works great in all conditions.

I have two of the 3-18x44 and one with the 34mm tube. For a carry rifle, the 3-18 is a great scope. The only con is the typical Leopold click feel that leaves me wondering why they don't "stiffen" that aspect. Still, on mine, the actual click value is spot on. Tested to 30 moa with tall target test board.

i have the vx6 4-24x52 with the varmint reticle on a 300 wm. i love it, with my 190 bergers they line up perfectly out to 600 yards at the elevations i hunt in central idaho. it's more magnification and heavier than you want (24 oz), but just to give you my opinion on the vx6 line, i really like mine. i have dialed with it and it's precise and repeatable. i agree that the clicks are mushy, but since ill never count clicks and shoot at an animal without looking up to verify that i have dialed correctly, it's not anissue for me. i really like the varmint reticle, for hunting purposes, i won't shoot beyond 600 yds anyways, so it's really nice that i don't have to dial, takes one more variable out of the equasion when i have a big buck or bull in front of me.

Ive been running a vx6HD 3-18x44 on a titanium/carbon fiber 300WM.

I too am in north Idaho. I do not think you can find a better lightweight scope for the money.

pro's:
incredibly light,
30 inch tube,
zero lock turrets,
good eye relief,
great clarity for the money.

con's:
mushy turrets,
only allows 2 revolutions on the elevation turret,
throw lever gets in the way of the bolt when on 18 power (on a lone peak action)

Ive been running a vx6HD 3-18x44 on a titanium/carbon fiber 300WM.

I too am in north Idaho. I do not think you can find a better lightweight scope for the money.

pro's:
incredibly light,
30 inch tube,
zero lock turrets,
good eye relief,
great clarity for the money.

con's:
mushy turrets,
only allows 2 revolutions on the elevation turret,
throw lever gets in the way of the bolt when on 18 power (on a lone peak action)

I'm thinking you mean 30mm tube. At the same time I'm wondering why is a tube larger than 1" a plus. Would you mind elaborating on its value, please?

jimsbriar,

I compared a 1", a 30mm, and a 34mm tube in low light. They all quit at the same time. Tube size is irrelevant.

Agreed! The tube size only gives you more internal adjustment. Your objective size and glass quality gives you light. I'm also up here in North Idaho and the rifle I built (270 Sherman Short) for the same purpose you intend has a Zeiss HD5 3-15x50 with Rapid Z 800 reticle and it is awesome. Just weighed the one I'm selling on here ( I had 2 but the wifes rifle doesnt need it with lack of use) and it comes in a hair under 22 ounces. They are relatively lightweight and glass is amazing.

Good luck on your decision!!

+1 for the VX6, have the one on my cooper 7mm, did a box test and was spot on, great glass, for the price great scope! I would buy another.