Leupold VX6 HD

I have the 3-18 x50 non HD that I bought on closeout last year. Always wondered what I gave up vs the HD model in terms of glass/coatings. Seems you have both, what have you noticed in terms of diffrerence in clarity and low light performance?

Sorry about the slow response but it was a matter of getting things in the same place at the same time.
Checked VX-6 3-18x50 ZL against VX6HD 3-18x50 ZL2; focused on a white sign with black lettering approx 3 inches high at 675 yds in fading light. Clarity between the two scopes appeared little different to indistinguishable. This was no high tech check, only metering instrument being the eye; my own at 62 years old and my son's at 16. Interestingly we both use the "0" diopter setting and ended up with side focus set at the same point (distance) for best clarity on both scopes. From my perspective the primary advantage of the HD version over the original is that if you are shooting past 1000 yd ( not me) you have the ability to dial it, 20 moa on the original only just gets 7mm wsm to 1000 with the right load, projectile, and zero range. If you are in a circumstance where you have time to dial windage, or want to shift it to suit a different load in a field situation you can do it without the possibility of losing your original zero. Other than that the flip caps would be great for some, but not necessarily for me.

Thanks so much for that! I appreciate you taking the time to make the comparison. I got mine on closeout but was always wondering what I left on the table. As to the two turns, I agree wholeheartedly. I sent mine in and had the ZL 2's installed on mine for not much money. Ran it out to 1200 yards and it worked like a champ, even pogoing between 500, up to 900 back down to 650 and back all the way up to 1200. Rifle took a beating while we hunting those 2 weeks, so I was really happy to have the security of the locking turrets with a functional zero stop.

Sorry about the slow response but it was a matter of getting things in the same place at the same time.
Checked VX-6 3-18x50 ZL against VX6HD 3-18x50 ZL2; focused on a white sign with black lettering approx 3 inches high at 675 yds in fading light. Clarity between the two scopes appeared little different to indistinguishable. This was no high tech check, only metering instrument being the eye; my own at 62 years old and my son's at 16. Interestingly we both use the "0" diopter setting and ended up with side focus set at the same point (distance) for best clarity on both scopes. From my perspective the primary advantage of the HD version over the original is that if you are shooting past 1000 yd ( not me) you have the ability to dial it, 20 moa on the original only just gets 7mm wsm to 1000 with the right load, projectile, and zero range. If you are in a circumstance where you have time to dial windage, or want to shift it to suit a different load in a field situation you can do it without the possibility of losing your original zero. Other than that the flip caps would be great for some, but not necessarily for me.

I have a new 20-250 build that'll been done soon and I knew going into the build, a VX6 3-18x50 was going to be sitting on top. I briefly considered the new HD version but when I was able to get the non HD VX6, with the TMOA reticle, for half the cost of the HD version, for me, it was a no brainer and after reading posts like the one above, it makes me happy I saved the extra money to spend on something else.

Unrelated, I picked up a Zeiss HD5 5-25x50 w/Z800 reticle a few weeks ago when Cabelas had them on a one day only sale for $699. I had some Cabelas points to use so by the time it was all said and done it only cost me $400, didn't really need it but couldn't help myself so I bought it. Since I have that VX6 waiting to go on a build I sat them side by side and played around with different power settings comparing them back and forth. It's very close between the two but to my eyes, the Zeiss is just a little brighter and more crisp on color definition but everything else, I couldn't really tell any difference between the two.

I have a new 20-250 build that'll been done soon and I knew going into the build, a VX6 3-18x50 was going to be sitting on top. I briefly considered the new HD version but when I was able to get the non HD VX6, with the TMOA reticle, for half the cost of the HD version, for me, it was a no brainer and after reading posts like the one above, it makes me happy I saved the extra money to spend on something else.

Unrelated, I picked up a Zeiss HD5 5-25x50 w/Z800 reticle a few weeks ago when Cabelas had them on a one day only sale for $699. I had some Cabelas points to use so by the time it was all said and done it only cost me $400, didn't really need it but couldn't help myself so I bought it. Since I have that VX6 waiting to go on a build I sat them side by side and played around with different power settings comparing them back and forth. It's very close between the two but to my eyes, the Zeiss is just a little brighter and more crisp on color definition but everything else, I couldn't really tell any difference between the two.
When you get them mounted it would be interesting to read a thread that takes into consideration things like turret adjustments, tracking, weight, low light clarity, reticle pros and cons.

I have a VX5 HD 3-15x44 duplex on a Kimber Montana 6.5 Creedmoor and a VX6 HD 3-18x44 FD duplex on a custom built 28 Nosler, I've only used them at the range so far and out to 300 yards mid-day,and I find the VX6 to be a better quality scope not just in the glass department but the scope itself.
As far as clarity and focus and tracking so far so good on both scopes with the VX6 being a touch better for brightness and clarity.
The one thing I found on the VX5 was under the the windage cover the adjustment cap wiggles around and there's a rubber gasket to seal the windage cover cap to the scope and its very fine and when you tighten the cover down the seal ***** out the side of the cap, just seemed kind of hokey on a scope of this cost.
Other than that I really like both scopes and plan on trying out the VX5 on some coyotes and wolves this week, so hopefully I can give a better low light report.

When you get them mounted it would be interesting to read a thread that takes into consideration things like turret adjustments, tracking, weight, low light clarity, reticle pros and cons.
I have both the VX6 and a 3-15 HD5. I think I might have posted a more detailed comparison of the two. I'll see if I can find it to link, otherwise, glad to give you my thoughts as I saw them.

I have both the VX6 and a 3-15 HD5. I think I might have posted a more detailed comparison of the two. I'll see if I can find it to link, otherwise, glad to give you my thoughts as I saw them.
Just to clarify, I'm seeking a more in depth comparison between the Leupy and the Zeiss. It sounded as if you don't have them mounted on a rifle yet. I was interested in more in depth information when you have actually been shooting with them. Thanks!

lgordee, sorry I butted in there, I think you were actually requesting that of b23, and I would love to hear his impression of these as well. But I also have both of these scopes. Have used them on a couple rifles (swapped them around a bit) and also tested them mounted on a tripod. But mine are a bit different than b23's, I have the 3-15x42 HD5 and the 3-18x50 VX 6.

It could be awhile before I can give any kind of feedback as to what I thought once mounted because the 20-250 build the VX6 is going on probably won't be done till after the first of the year and I don't have anything, yet :), to put that Zeiss HD5 on. I've got a couple Rem 700 actions, one short and one long, that are already trued up and ready to roll, even have a real nice McM HTG for the Rem SA, but I just don't know what I want to turn them into.

It could be awhile before I can give any kind of feedback as to what I thought once mounted because the 20-250 build the VX6 is going on probably won't be done till after the first of the year and I don't have anything, yet :), to put that Zeiss HD5 on. I've got a couple Rem 700 actions, one short and one long, that are already trued up and ready to roll, even have a real nice McM HTG for the Rem SA, but I just don't know what I want to turn them into.

MMMm....I suggest you turn them into a Christmas present for me ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.