Leupold Scopes...Do you trust them today?

I have 3, VX6-4X24 two sitting on 7mm RMs and one on a 300 RM. Dial um up dial um down haven't had any problems, shoot out to 1,000 yds. Going shooting tomorrow, will let you know if anything fails, don't expect it will.
Well I got my gun (rifle) out and made sure it wasn't broken then took to the range. Zeroed the turret and shot a 3 round sub MOA group at 100 yds. Dialed 4.5 MOA elevation and 0.25 MOA left and hit a small watermelon sized rock at 440 yds, 2 shots 2 hits. Then dialed 22.75 MOA elevation and 0.5 MOA left and hit a "big ol watermelon" size steel at 968 yds, 2 shots 2 hits. Back to 440 yds same results, back to Zero same results. Hum POJ works pretty well.

l may be repeating myself, but here goes. l have known Kenny Jarrett since he started building guns in 1979. l have worked for him on different occasions too. He builds everything from a 17 Hornet to a 505 Gibbs. Each rifle he builds comes with custom tuned ammo. His scopes take a lot of pounding when working up a load for a 460 Weatherby or some other big THUMPER. Up until a couple yrs ago he used 2 old Leupold 6.5-20 VX3s.. l don't ever remember either breaking after a BAZILLION rds thru them.. One of the VX3s was recently retired with a 24x Leupold target model because the head tuner's EYES need a little HELP.

Apparently they must have built them better back in the day. Today, not so much.
l may be repeating myself, but here goes. l have known Kenny Jarrett since he started building guns in 1979. l have worked for him on different occasions too. He builds everything from a 17 Hornet to a 505 Gibbs. Each rifle he builds comes with custom tuned ammo. His scopes take a lot of pounding when working up a load for a 460 Weatherby or some other big THUMPER. Up until a couple yrs ago he used 2 old Leupold 6.5-20 VX3s.. l don't ever remember either breaking after a BAZILLION rds thru them.. One of the VX3s was recently retired with a 24x Leupold target model because the head tuner's EYES need a little HELP.

No, I don't trust Leupold. I tried a flagship "LPS" model years back. The scope broke in less than 30 rounds from the recoil of a .338. Leupold did replace the scope with no questions asked. I sold the replacement soon there after and never gave them another chance. What good is a warranty if your scope fails during a once-in-a-lifetime hunt? Better question; what reason would I have to buy another Leupold when I could stay with nightforce, zeiss or swaro?? Cost is insignificant if you care about quality products.

I had TWO Leupold 3-9's FOG up on me back in the early 80's. I traded them for a new Tasco 4-16 world class rangefinder scope, and have NEVER had a problem with it to this day ! I have made a kill at over 500 yard using the internal range finder (the farthest I ever shot at anything), and it was two out of two hits ! I have always had it on my 30-06, the 500+ yard shots were using the 190 Sierra HPBT. I also have a 6-20 VX III on my 308 Norma Magnum and that has been a great scope without any issues, I have had that since the late 90's, and it was slightly used when I bought it. It works good and excellent tracking as far as I can shoot with it, and that is 1550 yards, at witch time I run out of clicks at 244. Clicks at 1500 is 222 and 1550 is 244, dropping like a rock at that range, but still kicks up wet dirt at that range. It drops about 9ft between 1500 and 1550 yards or about 78+ ft. from the muzzle at 1550. Pretty flat out to about 1200yrds.

Out of all of the GB listings for a particular model usually only 1 or 2 are good buys. The rest are list or close to list price that you could pay anywhere.

Very true but it doesn't take 20 different sellers to deliver a great deal to the buyer. One is enough for me. I'm not sure how they get away with crashing the low price barrier of manufacturers but the consumer is the obvious beneficiary of it and some of these low price sellers have thousands and thousands of positive feedbacks.

Leupold has always had an iron grip on the minimum prices that could be charged for their products but that seems to be slipping away now and I know some of the local gun stores around here are suffering from that as the digital world marketplace simply underprices them to the point where they are either cutting their prices as well by price matching or just discontinuing products that can be bought on the net for often less than or close to their cost.

We can sit around and moan about the slow disappearance of the old time gun stores or just accept that this is the new world and there's really nothing that can be done about it. It kind of reminds me of Wal-Mart coming to small town America and putting a lot of the mom and pop stores out of business. Like it or not it's the unstoppable wave of the future.

Very true but it doesn't take 20 different sellers to deliver a great deal to the buyer. One is enough for me. I'm not sure how they get away with crashing the low price barrier of manufacturers but the consumer is the obvious beneficiary of it and some of these low price sellers have thousands and thousands of positive feedbacks.

Leupold has always had an iron grip on the minimum prices that could be charged for their products but that seems to be slipping away now and I know some of the local gun stores around here are suffering from that as the digital world marketplace simply underprices them to the point where they are either cutting their prices as well by price matching or just discontinuing products that can be bought on the net for often less than or close to their cost.

We can sit around and moan about the slow disappearance of the old time gun stores or just accept that this is the new world and there's really nothing that can be done about it. It kind of reminds me of Wal-Mart coming to small town America and putting a lot of the mom and pop stores out of business. Like it or not it's the unstoppable wave of the future.

Something, IMO is worth no more than what someone is willing to sell it for; esp. if one isn't in a hurry. Hard to justify paying Joe $800 or something that Bill will sell for $600. Oftimes the low price seller doesn't own the product. He takes your order and has a distributor ship to you. In other words, lower overhead.
2 things I've always wanted to say to a car salesman.
1. I can pay list rice anywhere.
2. You add nothing of value to the vehicle; you add only cost.

Leupold and others probably don't do much about price maintenance because it's either sell it for less or maybe not at all, they've already made their profit on the scope.

l just got a GREAT deal on a NEW Leupold VX3I 8.5-25X50 TMOA 30mm tube off GunBroker for $759. Same scope (USED) sold last night on Ebay @$810. Same scope everywhere has been @ $999. Same dealer had VX5 3-15 for $789. Seller is Barrels&Arrows. Best of all-NO credit card fees or sales tax either. Won on auction a VX3 6.5-20X50 Varmint reticle recently(USED) for $524 from the same seller. 8.5-25 was BUY IT NOW. There are deals out there

Leopold 6 x 42 on a Ruger #1 375 H&H main hunting rifle for 35 years worked up a load adj.the scope never touched the turrets again.
Last year send it in for a check up before putting it on a other rifle.
I came back report said : loosened stiff turrets repl obj. lens.
Just saying

l just got a GREAT deal on a NEW Leupold VX3I 8.5-25X50 TMOA 30mm tube off GunBroker for $759. Same scope (USED) sold last night on Ebay @$810. Same scope everywhere has been @ $999. Same dealer had VX5 3-15 for $789. Seller is Barrels&Arrows. Best of all-NO credit card fees or sales tax either. Won on auction a VX3 6.5-20X50 Varmint reticle recently(USED) for $524 from the same seller. 8.5-25 was BUY IT NOW. There are deals out there

Hit email for price on the link below, you'll get a quote in a couple of minutes...bought some BX-4 Binos and a FX-1 for a 22 from these guys, haven't been able to beat any of their prices on anything Leupold.

Hit email for price on the link below, you'll get a quote in a couple of minutes...bought some BX-4 Binos and a FX-1 for a 22 from these guys, haven't been able to beat any of their prices on anything Leupold.

So the $999 price shown is bait? There are 5 listings on GB that are better buys. Can they beat all 5?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.