Would you trust a Vortex refurb from Cabela's?

megastink

My local Cabela's has Viper PST's in their bargain cave. The lady behind the counter said that they're sent by Vortex to be sold at a set price. All of which are factory returbs. 6-24 for $481, 4-16 for $449, both illuminated. I can't bring myself to trust it, so I'm reaching out for opinions. Thanks!

If it still carries the vortex forever warranty, I would say you have nothing to lose. If it has something wrong after you get it home and use it send it back to vortex. That is if it still carries the warranty. It would save you money, even with the hassle of possibly sending back in. That's what I would do.

PS: I have the pst 4-16x50 moa and love it.

Only if Vortex warranty is in place. Vortex has excellent customer service and stands behind their product. If the warranty isn't in place, spend the extra money on a new one and not have to worry about it.

Does Cabelas warrant anything? I'd buy one in a minute. You know Vortex will stand behind it....

Cabelas, no way.

Still scratching my head about Cabelas selling small diesel tractors and implements. No way any Cabelas store has knowledgable enough technicians to work on a tractor issues, especially diesel tractor issues, but then the tractors are Chinese TYM's anyway.

Always wanted a compact tractor with camo vinyl stick on side panels.....:D

Appears to me to be 'marketing' at it's best, or worst if one breaks down.

In the case of Vortex, I'd buy one 'cause Vortex, not Cabelas will stand behind it.

Cabela's doen't make tractors. Very few major retailers make, or even have someone else make, the products they sell. XYZ manufacturing company solicits ABC retailer (the biggest name retailer they can convince to listen to their pitch) to market their product. If he retailer agrees, always dependent on price point and quality of the product, the manufacturer puts the retailer's name on it and retailer sells the product.
Cabela's tractors have a guarantee that is comparable to a lot of other equipment retailers but, before I'd buy any equipment like that, I'd want to make sure that there was a service center withi a reasonable distance - just in case I needed it. :cool:

I couldn't bring myself to buy a Coleman ATV.

I have had reasonably good luck with the local Cabelas refunding money, or exchanging products.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.