Leupold Scopes...Do you trust them today?

Wow you guys must be really good shots. This thread really reminds me of many of the threads on Snipers hide. I suppose the term chip shot needs to be defined.
With perfect conditions ( which he had) 600 yards is a very easy shot for us.
My buddy has killed more coyotes beyond 500 yards than anyone I know, if you shoot beyond 1k with good accuracy then shots inside even 800 yards are pretty easy to make assuming the wind is calm.

You guys gave me hope I could tell my wife my Leupolds were junk and I needed a $3000 scope. But, oh wait, she has made 17 one shot kills with her Mark IV mounted on a .260 Remington. Darn!

You said and other's agreed that 600 yards while ( hunting ) is a CHIP SHOT. I'll ask again what do you all consider a chip shot ?

You said and other's agreed that 600 yards while ( hunting ) is a CHIP SHOT. I'll ask again what do you all consider a chip shot ?
I said that was an easy shot and I guess I should have clarified. It is easy when taking that shot on big game, but definately more difficult if shooting at a groundhog. By the way, The elk in my avatar was taken at 650 plus with two rounds next to each other right in the boiler room.

A chip shot is one I just need a range and a couple seconds with a ballistics app and the rest of the day is cutting elk, don't need to talk the shot over with anyone just range it and dump it!

In my experience and mounting a lot of customer optics Vortex destroys Leupold in both price point and performance, I know more guys who traded up to Vortex from Leupold it's nuts, I know I did and it solved my optics being sent back all the time issue. I've seen some Leupolds that go back yearly for repairs, the turrets make it through most of the hunting season then their done, heck there a video of Shockey shooting something and you can see his Leupold gut the turret right there! I'll put a Nightforce SHV against anything Leupold, don't need to compare to a NXS or AtacR. Leupold is the Remington of optics!!!

I guess I will get in on the Leupold thread. This is from about 100 pages of my hunting and shooting records.

Leupold came out with a 2½X-8X hand gun scope. When I first called to asked if they thought it would handle the recoil of the .454, the fellow very confidently said,
"You'll want to give that pip squeak pistol of yours to your grandmother. Your .454 Casull can only generate 850 "G" forces. Out testing machine generates 1800 "Gs". Our 2½X-8X has endured 10,000 jolts and is still fine."

After several months they were on the market. With a little trading, I was able to get one. After several months they were on the market. With a little trading, I was able to get one. After the failure of the Burris (twice), Bausch & Lomb (twice), Bushnell (thrice), Nichols (once), and the T/C Center "Recoil Proof" (twice), a Leupold 2½X-8X was installed. It failed after three years of service. Leupold replaced it with their "new" model at no charge. The glass appears (no pun intended) to be better. It endured thousands of full throttle rounds. My favorite was a Freedom Arms 240 grain at 2,014 feet per second.

I just sent a VX-5HD 3-15x44 CDS back to Leupold this week. I put it on two different rifles, both .5 MOA rifles and it won't shoot better than 1.5-2" with either rifle!! I have another identical scope that I've had no trouble with.....it's on a rifle that shoots .2-3" with this scope. I'm anxious to hear what they have to tell me when they test it!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.