Let's see your Varmint rifles !

I am curious though, how many rounds (ballpark) typically will trun a barrel south on a 22-250? Not getting too critical on how hot, and how many before it's cleaned and so on. Just your typical PD varmint rifle.

I am curious though, how many rounds (ballpark) typically will trun a barrel south on a 22-250? Not getting too critical on how hot, and how many before it's cleaned and so on. Just your typical PD varmint rifle.

Everything I have read is right around the 4000 range. I had plans to re-barrel at 3500 but it keeps shooting, so time will tell. I don't shoot it much anymore. I like the Hall 22br, I can see the hits better as its a 14lb gun.

Everything I have read is right around the 4000 range. I had plans to re-barrel at 3500 but it keeps shooting, so time will tell. I don't shoot it much anymore. I like the Hall 22br, I can see the hits better as its a 14lb gun.

Have you heard of anyone getting less than that? I don't know too much about burning out a barrel in this round. I figure if that is what those are running at, that it can't be that high at those speeds. Mine is right at 400 I think.

Have you heard of anyone getting less than that? I don't know too much about burning out a barrel in this round. I figure if that is what those are running at, that it can't be that high at those speeds. Mine is right at 400 I think.

A lot of talk about 2000 rd barrel life.
I have only shot Hornady varmint ammunition 50gr moly in this rifle since new. It liked it so I bought a pile of it in the late 90's, 4500 rounds, gave a couple hundred to a buddy on a PD shoot in AZ. and I have a couple hundred left. The factory loaded ammo might have gain me some or the moly who knows?? I know the barrel owes me nothing. When I shoot up this ammo I'll re-barrel, maybe a 20 wildcat???
This gun might not print well on paper, I haven't checked. But I was misting juveniles at 200yds, plenty good for me.

I would just shoot it, if it goes south it goes south. Re-barrel then.

When it does I'll do an Ackley version. Just for S&G. You mentioned factory stuff. The factory stuff I have is that PMC 50gr flatbase hollow point. I was surprised it clocked well above 3900fps. That's more than i can get out of my hand loads.

That is totally dependent on how hot you get it and how often.

You can easily burn one out in 1,000rnds or less with lots of rapid shooting.

Absent that, I've had .220swift and .204 Ruger's last more than 4000rnds before starting to open up to greater than MOA.

That is totally dependent on how hot you get it and how often.

You can easily burn one out in 1,000rnds or less with lots of rapid shooting.

Absent that, I've had .220swift and .204 Ruger's last more than 4000rnds before starting to open up to greater than MOA.

I am fairly easy on it. When in the pd towns, I never let it get hot. That's why I brought several other rifles with me. One gets warm, not hot just warm I set it aside and then on to the next one. I have know some out there that get them so hot they can't even touch their barrels. Mine has never been there or even close. So I guess if your easy on them one could expect the higher side of those figures.

I am fairly easy on it. When in the pd towns, I never let it get hot. That's why I brought several other rifles with me. One gets warm, not hot just warm I set it aside and then on to the next one. I have know some out there that get them so hot they can't even touch their barrels. Mine has never been there or even close. So I guess if your easy on them one could expect the higher side of those figures.
You should. Just avoid max weight bullets and max loads and the barrel life should not be a problem.

I've only ever myself burned out one and the truth is I just liked shooting the damned thing too much. I just cut it off and rechambered it and put another couple of thousand through it.

One of these days I'll just send it off to Krieger and put a light varmint contour 24" barrel on it so I'll have plenty of room to do it all again. With the .204 there really doesn't seem to be any advantage to barrels longer than 20". I've shot prarie dog sized targets with it (one shot kills) out to 600yds and that's about as good as it gets with bullets that small.

Off subject (kind of), but can you see why we don't really have to worry about being "invaded" by another Country, during a war? With all of us non military "Snipers" scattered through just about every State in OUR Country, the invaders would retreat in a hurry after watching their comrades being dumped from 1500 yards and in!!! LMAO. Keep up the good fight, and keep building those tack drivers, Brothers and Sisters!! gun) :D

Off subject (kind of), but can you see why we don't really have to worry about being "invaded" by another Country, during a war? With all of us non military "Snipers" scattered through just about every State in OUR Country, the invaders would retreat in a hurry after watching their comrades being dumped from 1500 yards and in!!! LMAO. Keep up the good fight, and keep building those tack drivers, Brothers and Sisters!! gun) :D

What was it that Japanese Admiral/General said? Something like "it would be a mistake to invade the mainland U.S. As you would be facing a rifle behind every blade of grass"

I looked but all I could find was on factcheck, apparently it's something gunrights groups like to spread, but factcheck reported it as bogus. Meh oh well I like it anyway gun)
Not bogus. The quote was taken directly from a Russian defector and was part of the basic education of every new recruit to the Army for decades.