What is your hardest varmint to hit.

I was told once that the U.S. has a federal regulation on crow hunting because of a Mexican tribe that was slaughtering waterfowl and would only agree to abide by waterfowl regulations if the U.S. would agree to regulating crow hunting because of the symbolism of crows in their culture. I don't know of the validity of that story, but that's what I've been told.

Don't know about that but I think it does have something to do with the mexican gov. The crow is protected but I don't know why. But who am I any way. When season is in I try to make them pay.

I may not have the facts straight about why they are protected, but I am pretty confident that the season in the US is related to waterfowl conservation. And I agree, when season rolls around they get served some lead every chance I get.

I think your right. They are under the Migratory Birds protection. The reason for the season I guess. I don't really like to shoot much (animals) from about the middle of March to 1st of June. They have little ones and that's more targets when they get older.

I generally agree with that but make an exception for groundhogs burrowing too close to the outbuildings. I have put quite a hurting on the groundhogs in my area and am running out of LR practice. They are by far my favorite varmint. I wish we had prairie dogs here in the mitten state.

Crows would be a good candidate. Even the urban ones won't sit long here. I did kill one with an F-250. He was eating McDonalds in the street, figured he'd move, and he didn't. Sickly looking beggar, grey colored. I always wondered if he was there cause he was sick, or sick cause he was there. Not good advertising any way.
I kinda feel that way when I eat McDonalds, sick , before and after , crow might have wanted you to get him after he ate that stuff.

Might have to change my answer since our shoot this week-baby sage rats! They could make the top except for stupidity, sheer numbers, and an inclination toward moving closer to see what the noise is all about. Tiny devils, more magnification and tiny crosshairs.

Crows were included in the migratory bird act at the request of the Mexican government. Canada and the USA agreed, but I've never heard the reason.

Many of the "seasons" set by the states were more to stop answering the phone, and saying I don't know? We used to get "nobody cares go for it", but somebody decided we should care.

It's kind of like a magpie can be killed if in the act of depredation...whoever saw a magpie that wasn't depredating something

I have problems hitting pest birds. They sit there for minutes until you get ready to shoot. They seem to know when they are in danger and fly off. My longest first shot kill was at 191 yards. They wise up quick and learn to stay out of range or not hold still.

I've seen some crows do some sick air maneuvers to avoid my shotgun pattern. Dont' ask me how they did it but I've jumped them and thought to myself, "I've got this one easy" and then the bird does some crazy maneuver and I miss. Never tried with a rifle before. They probably get my vote.
I've had a number of yotes go stealth on me but never had much of a problem if I can get the gun pointed in the right direction.
Ground squirrel babies are the second hardest to hit as they are so tiny and move crazy fast. Their fatal flaw, they are dumb as a brick wall. I usually stick to the big fat ones.

Where I grew up, there were lots of crows, and they were tough to hit because they are mostly feathers. Harder by far were the magpies. They were smaller, learned faster, and like jrock said, never flew very far in straight lines. It was really frustrating when I got the old .410 lined up and just as I touched off the shot they would drop about 3 feet.

I generally agree with that but make an exception for groundhogs burrowing too close to the outbuildings. I have put quite a hurting on the groundhogs in my area and am running out of LR practice. They are by far my favorite varmint. I wish we had prairie dogs here in the mitten state.

I also wish we had prairie dogs here in Michigan...

What's your method for hunting groundhogs? I spend a lot of time in the woods and I never see them. I know they are there!

I have property in Lake County, 100% hardwoods.
I have family with property I can hunt in Eaton Rapids County. One 60 acre parcel is 50% hardwoods and 50% swamp. And another 600 acre soy bean field I could hunt.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

I also wish we had prairie dogs here in Michigan...

What's your method for hunting groundhogs? I spend a lot of time in the woods and I never see them. I know they are there!

I have property in Lake County, 100% hardwoods.
I have family with property I can hunt in Eaton Rapids County. One 60 acre parcel is 50% hardwoods and 50% swamp. And another 600 acre soy bean field I could hunt.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

I live in Hillsdale and am lucky enough to be on good terms with several of the dairy farmers in the area which gives me about 7 square miles of fields to roam in search of groundhogs. Soybean and hay fields are usually prime groundhog feeding grounds, and the best time to catch them out in the open is in the evening on a sunny day when the temperatures start to drop. If it's too hot or cold they usually stay holed up. They don't seem to be out as much on extremely overcast days either, not sure if it is because they like to sunbathe or because it's more difficult to spot the aerial predators. Once you find an active hole it becomes a waiting game. I would highly recommend just stopping in at some farms and asking if you can hunt groundhogs in their fields. I've only ever been turned down once, and it's usually the same outcome for crows, pigeons, and coyotes. Deer and waterfowl are a different story...