Is a turtle a varmint?

I get snappers anytime I want to make a turtle dinner. Plenty of ponds here in GA. I put them in a tub and put fresh water in every day for at least a week. It's amazing how much stuff comes out of them when flushing them out.
Seeing this post reminds me that I have some snapper meat in the freezer. May break out this weekend.

Attachments

• Snapper.jpg
    Snapper.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Snapper1.jpg
    Snapper1.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 90
I get snappers anytime I want to make a turtle dinner. Plenty of ponds here in GA. I put them in a tub and put fresh water in every day for at least a week. It's amazing how much stuff comes out of them when flushing them out.
Seeing this post reminds me that I have some snapper meat in the freezer. May break out this weekend.
Very cool ! Don't they claw up your tub ?

We had regular galvanized steel 500 and 1000 gallon stock troughs to throw the snappers in. You kept the water clear so you could see them to grab them by the tail and lift them out.

As I got older and my dad reloaded shotgun shells I had lots of different size 25 pound bags of shot. Plaster of Paris is your snake hunting friend. They sold these big powerful firecrackers back then M-80 and the massive m-120. You mixed up a bowl of #4 lead shot with plaster and molded a round ball around the big firecrackers and other home made devices then let them dry hard for a couple of days and played hand granades with the sleeping water moccasins and copperheads :) I was the perfect candidate later on in the military when I went through sniper, EOD, & demolition school.

We had regular galvanized steel 500 and 1000 gallon stock troughs to throw the snappers in. You kept the water clear so you could see them to grab them by the tail and lift them out.

As I got older and my dad reloaded shotgun shells I had lots of different size 25 pound bags of shot. Plaster of Paris is your snake hunting friend. They sold these big powerful firecrackers back then M-80 and the massive m-120. You mixed up a bowl of #4 lead shot with plaster and molded a round ball around the big firecrackers and other home made devices then let them dry hard for a couple of days and played hand granades with the sleeping water moccasins and copperheads :) I was the perfect candidate later on in the military when I went through sniper, EOD, & demolition school.
Sounds like my childhood and then entering the USMC when I was 17.!!!!!!!!!

Just caught this sucker crossing the road on the way home . Waiting for the kids to get off the bus to see it . Not sure about the whole eating turtle thing . Tried a few years back and couldn't get past the smell while cleaning them . And yeah we'd changed the water on them for over a week everyday

Attachments

• 76CB1BE9-7505-4CD6-B106-404157B794F7.jpeg
    76CB1BE9-7505-4CD6-B106-404157B794F7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 85
Just caught this sucker crossing the road on the way home . Waiting for the kids to get off the bus to see it . Not sure about the whole eating turtle thing . Tried a few years back and couldn't get past the smell while cleaning them . And yeah we'd changed the water on them for over a week everyday
Good luck! I remember going to my cabin on Carters Lake, in NW GA. Driving up the road and a giant snapper was in the middle of the road. This snapper was the size of my tire on the car. I stopped next to it, looked out the window, and it was HUGE, it opened it's giant snapper mouth and HISSED at me. I thought I best move along before it took the front tire & rim off my car.