Is a turtle a varmint?

Caught this swan killer in a 16 acre lake that was dug , and spring fed in 1915 by the famous inventor Jim Kirby, Kirby vacuum etc.
My doctor friend own the former Kirby estate with the original house and all. This turtle weighs 33 lbs. and the carapace is almost 21 inches.
He will be kept in a horse trough of artesian well water for a month , water changed daily and then my nephew a master chef will make a turtle soup Cajun style that is beyond belief. According to what I've read this turtle is pushing close to the century mark possibly, its reported they can live to 170 years. Anyway for Ohio this is big.
If he is that old why kill him. If this guy is 170 years old he is an artifact! I understand the damage turtles do to farm ponds and I love turtle soup and yes they are varmits. Your call.

Only deer, he owns a vineyard on the water, and farms also, cattle , he's turned down well over a billion from the Chinese for the place. His wines are known far and wide, it's a place like nothing one could imagine.
Thank your doctor friend from all of us here at LRH and tell him that we very much appreciate him not selling his place to the Chinese.

Last edited:
Thank your doctor friend from all of us here at LRH and tell him that we very much appreciate him not selling his place to the Chinese.
He's not a doctor, despite being well off he's an ordinary guy that 's what makes him unique. Has the best imported German shepherds in the country if you're into dogs, I will give him the message , fabulous place.

While growing up and living in the rural South, we did consider snappers and "tarpins" (Southern for terrapins) as varmints in the local ponds and small water sheds. Old ponds and bass/bream/catfish lakes were often infested with younger, and sometimes, old snappers that wreaked havoc on fish populations, ducks, etc, and were a general nuisance by stealing bait off lines.

In the spring when these varmints were sunning on numerous logs, stumps, mud banks, etc, a friend and I found a new sport in attempting to control these creatures. Most of these ponds, lakes and sloughs were very rural and offered plenty of shooting angles that allowed safe zones for any water ricochets. Typically, we used 22LR for these varmint control shoots, and usually, the ranges were 200yds +/- and under to a few feet. Once a small lake or pond had been shot a while, the wiser "tarpins" would instantly go to water upon seeing us on the banks or levees. These called for longer range shooting with 222's, 223's etc.

The real challenges came when the springtime waters warmed enough for the turtles to stay in the water for long periods and only presented head shots to our 22LR's.

Occasionally, we would get a bonus and find cotton mouth snakes lying on these same logs and stumps sunning in the spring sun while out of the still rather cold waters. And more than once, we would be surprised by a rather extremely large female cotton mouth who lazily slithered onto a log or mud bank while we were sniping the turtles. A couple of those we retrieved after shooting were so large, they gave me a cold chill down my young spine. But, they made great belts!

Last edited:
While growing up and living in the rural South, we did consider snappers and tarpins as varmints in the local ponds and small water sheds. Old ponds and bass/bream/catfish lakes were often infested with younger, and sometimes, old snappers that wreaked havoc on fish populations, ducks, etc, and were a general nuisance by stealing bait off lines.

In the spring when these varmints were sunning on numerous logs, stumps, mud banks, etc, a friend and I found a new sport in attempting to control these creatures. Most of these ponds, lakes and sloughs were very rural and offered plenty of shooting angles that allowed safe zones for any water ricochets. Typically, we used 22LR for these varmint control shoots, and usually, the ranges were 200yds +/- and under to a few feet. Once a small lake or pond had been shot a while, the wiser tarpins would instantly go to water upon seeing us on the banks or levees. These called for longer range shooting with 222's, 223's etc.

The real challenges came when the springtime waters warmed enough for the turtles to stay in the water for long periods and only presented head shots to our 22LR's.

Occasionally, we would get a bonus and find cotton mouth snakes lying on these same logs and stumps sunning in the spring sun while out of the still rather cold waters. And more than once, we would be surprised by a rather extremely large female cotton mouth who lazily slithered onto a log or mud bank while we were sniping the turtles. A couple of those we retrieved after shooting were so large, they gave me a cold chill down my young spine. But, they made great belts!
That's a great story ! Sometimes we wish we could relive or childhood . The good old days. It's Terrapin (diamondback terrapins, water turtles) I thought you were talking about the fish "tarpon" and was thinking what ? In a pond ? Lol ! Read story again. Had some rattler stories myself when young.
Take care brother.

That's a great story ! Sometimes we wish we could relive or childhood . The good old days. It's Terrapin (diamondback terrapins, water turtles) I thought you were talking about the fish "tarpon" and was thinking what ? In a pond ? Lol ! Read story again. Had some rattler stories myself when young.
Take care brother.
Yea, I guess I should have clarified the Southern slang for those. As a youth, all I ever heard was "tarpins", and it was later in high school before I ever read it spelled correctly.

Rattler stories I am sure you have, and I recall my first encounter with a Wyoming rattler while on a P-Dog shoot. LOL !!

While growing up and living in the rural South, we did consider snappers and "tarpins" (Southern for terrapins) as varmints in the local ponds and small water sheds. Old ponds and bass/bream/catfish lakes were often infested with younger, and sometimes, old snappers that wreaked havoc on fish populations, ducks, etc, and were a general nuisance by stealing bait off lines.

In the spring when these varmints were sunning on numerous logs, stumps, mud banks, etc, a friend and I found a new sport in attempting to control these creatures. Most of these ponds, lakes and sloughs were very rural and offered plenty of shooting angles that allowed safe zones for any water ricochets. Typically, we used 22LR for these varmint control shoots, and usually, the ranges were 200yds +/- and under to a few feet. Once a small lake or pond had been shot a while, the wiser "tarpins" would instantly go to water upon seeing us on the banks or levees. These called for longer range shooting with 222's, 223's etc.

Great story wish I'd been there. The doc across from me hates the snappers they all but wiped out a dozen cygnets so far, I reset the turtle trap there today with a chicken leg, if I catch anything I'll post it. There's got to be more as the lake is over 100 years old and no turtles taken out of it that he knows of , but 1900 was a long time ago.

Yea, I guess I should have clarified the Southern slang for those. As a youth, all I ever heard was "tarpins", and it was later in high school before I ever read it spelled correctly.

Rattler stories I am sure you have, and I recall my first encounter with a Wyoming rattler while on a P-Dog shoot. LOL !!
Funny, I thought of it pronounced in a southern drawl. Came out your way. Two of my best friends are from Arkansas . I get a kick of of them talking. Most all of my rattler experiences were from Ca. and Az. when I was young. I got bit by a rattler in my garage in Ca.
Not fun. 9 viles 6 times antivenome. $700 a vile. A night in ICU. Don't remember exact amount but I think was $94,000.00. I had insurance. I still had to pay a few thousand .

Thats a funny question, I never considered them Varmints.
I think they are likely protected in Australia.
The indigenous people eat them I think.

What is a Turtle Piccante?