Debating between 2 varmint rifles.

I'm in the market for a new varmint rifle and I just can't decide. I looking on another site and came across a Remington 700 (looks like a mix between BDL with the Monte Carlo stock and the cdl sf with the black end cap) stainless fluted and everything in 220. Swift which is a wicked round just not something I've ever really wanted. And the second is a CZ 527 varmint with a 26" heavy barrel, Boyd's tactical stock and the original wood stock (I put the wood one back on) in 204. Ruger which is one of the calibers in on the market for. Both going for the same dollar. 204 comes with 2 stocks, rings, 220 is just rifle

I have some exciteman for the 204. Ruger and right now the good'ole triple deuce. This rifle will be used for target, coyotes and crows mainly. It will be more of a hunting rifle then a long range rifle (400-500) yards and closer. I have a full custom 260. Rem that will be brought out when the times needed. I just can't decided which one to go with, the unique 220 or the nice 204. What would you do?
I shoot both a .220 Swift in an M700 VSSF and a CZ-527 in .204.

Thre's a world of difference in the two in that the Swift is adequate enough to even shoot deer and hogs out to a the 300-400yds range with the right bullet and the .204 is strictly a varmint round. It's just too light to be relied upon on deer/antelope size game.

The C7 has the "single set trigger", the finest factory trigger I have ever shot.

The Swift, is a heavy package on part with the Remington Sendero that you would not likely want to pack around all day.

The swift weighs a little over half as much and with the short barrel is really handy as a Truck gun. If you're going to have to go walking to get to your shooting position it's like carrying around a fly swatter.

Hands down CZ in 204 varmint, 39 grain SBK with 29.6 grains AA2520 for 3850-3900 FPS 0-600 yard coyote killer, one of the funnest guns to shoot zip for recoil and totally knocks the soup out of a coyote. Killed 72 with it so far in two winters. That set trigger is the key. Buy it you will not regret it, shoot the 39 as it maximizes the 204

Last edited:
ohlongarm.......... I could be interested in you T/C 204. Take a few to PM me a few pics and notes pertaining to her on load data and distance achieved. wanting a Bugholer/oneholer/.200 holer.ya get the idea. Thanks bud NSN/75w
What exactly are you asking, I have a TC Venture in 204, I don't reload, be happy to answer any more questions. THX

Hands down CZ in 204 varmint, 39 grain SBK with 29.6 grains AA2520 for 3850-3900 FPS 0-600 yard coyote killer, one of the funnest guns to shoot zip for recoil and totally knocks the soup out of a coyote. Killed 72 with it so far in two winters. That set trigger is the key. Buy it you will not regret it, shoot the 39 as it maximizes the 204
The round mentioned could make 600 yards with its high BC, however fewer could make that shot than can.
The best one could hope for at that range in my opinion would be 1.5 moa , but more likely 2 moa in the hands of a seasoned shooter, with top notch optics. My best with the 204 was a quarter mile with the Federal V-shok factory loaded 39 grain Sierra Blitz King polymer tipped round. sadly Federal discontinued that round, I've got one box left.

The round mentioned could make 600 yards with its high BC, however fewer could make that shot than can.
The best one could hope for at that range in my opinion would be 1.5 moa , but more likely 2 moa in the hands of a seasoned shooter, with top notch optics. My best with the 204 was a quarter mile with the Federal V-shok factory loaded 39 grain Sierra Blitz King polymer tipped round. sadly Federal discontinued that round, I've got one box left.
The problem is that there really are no high bc .204 bullets. The highest of them requires a much tighter twist than the 527's came with. That particular bullet only shows a BC of .287 at 3,600 and at 600yes is down to around .210.

There's just not enough mass or diameter to the little bullet for there to be any high BC bullets in it.

I've never yet found a bullet over 39gr's that would shoot well through it at all.

I'm in the market for a new varmint rifle and I just can't decide. I looking on another site and came across a Remington 700 (looks like a mix between BDL with the Monte Carlo stock and the cdl sf with the black end cap) stainless fluted and everything in 220. Swift which is a wicked round just not something I've ever really wanted. And the second is a CZ 527 varmint with a 26" heavy barrel, Boyd's tactical stock and the original wood stock (I put the wood one back on) in 204. Ruger which is one of the calibers in on the market for. Both going for the same dollar. 204 comes with 2 stocks, rings, 220 is just rifle

I have some exciteman for the 204. Ruger and right now the good'ole triple deuce. This rifle will be used for target, coyotes and crows mainly. It will be more of a hunting rifle then a long range rifle (400-500) yards and closer. I have a full custom 260. Rem that will be brought out when the times needed. I just can't decided which one to go with, the unique 220 or the nice 204. What would you do?
Which ever one has the cheapest ammo...I went from 308 t0 243 to 22-250 to 222 now....

It's killing me trying to decided cause I know I only have money for 1 and I want both so bad and trying to figure out which one I can't live without right now. And financially the 222. rem would b easier on me, but the particular gun im looking at are usually in the price, the CZ with 2 sets of rings and 2 stocks basically brand new in 204 ruger is a pretty good deal and don't see them at this price often.

I'm can't figure it out, everytime I sway one way, I flip right around and start over. Yesterday I had my self convinced on the 222 and today the 204.
Buy one and then wait a month and then buy the other. Maybe some overtime is in the future for gun needs...

I am a new guy here but not new to forums and shooting… I will offer that the 220 Swift would be a great varmint gun if you are shooting coyotes, groundhogs, etc. Pretty much overkill for prairie dogs - colony shooting type critters. Now, I have burned out a barrel on a 204 after about 3 thousand rounds… The 222 you suggested would be a great varmint caliber and the barrel should last many rounds.

I have 220 Swift and 204, The Swift is an 8 twist
What he said☝️, except mine are not CZ and it has been called by others than me, The Massacre Machine and the 39's are the pill that kills.

Recent Posts