Let's hear from Sauer owners!

Rank your Sauer?

• Total voters
I was pleased with 1/3 MOA at 200 yards from my customized Winchester 70. I was wrong.
What has been your experience with Sauer?

Sauer Field shot in 6.5 CM. 99 HH at 3375 FPS, half MOA 5 shots @ 100. Not a mountain rifle but lights out for white tails on bean fields. Leupold VX5HD ZL2 firedot reticle. Shooter!

I rate mine #1. Nicest factory built rifle Ive ever owned. That being said mine is a sauer 90 not one of the newer models. I dont have any experience with them

I've been looking into the Sauer since they were brought up in the other thread about factory rifles. Now I feel like I need to track one down to get my hands on it.

I feel like I need one of the Ceratech models in 9.3x62!

Sauer Field shot in 6.5 CM. 99 HH at 3375 FPS, half MOA 5 shots @ 100. Not a mountain rifle but lights out for white tails on bean fields. Leupold VX5HD ZL2 firedot reticle. Shooter!
Rosebud, as happy as you may be with your Hammer load for deer, your Fieldshoot is absolutely capable of better than half MOA. What other ammo/loads have you tried?
My 6.5 CM's both shoot better than that with factory match ammo, but it has been more difficult to get hunting bullets that do better than 1/3 MOA.

1/3 MOA is the standard I am looking to beat because that is what my 270 WSM shoots.
Bought the Sauers to beat that.

So don't stop with half MOA, you can and will do better with your Fieldshoot if you try more bullets. Mine shine with 129-143 grain in a variety of bullets, 140 Accubond being one of the better ones.

In 1981 A friend was gearing up for elk hunt in Colorado and loading a 300 win mag. He had been loading a 44 mag prior to this and had a dust up with his teenage daughter, yep they we're problems then also. he returned to loading bench and loaded up 300 win mags. Next day at the range he cranked off one of the 180 Hornadys and the stock split and bolt froze up. It was loaded up with stout load of 2400. Only reason he kept all his body parts is because of the rifle he was shooting. A Colt/Sauer from Germany. No local gun Smith could get the bolt out and it was returned to Germany. Months later it was returned with a letter stating congratulations on owning on of the best built rifles on earth, and refrain from reloading your own ammo in the future. They couldn't get the bolt out either.

Rosebud, as happy as you may be with your Hammer load for deer, your Fieldshoot is absolutely capable of better than half MOA. What other ammo/loads have you tried?
My 6.5 CM's both shoot better than that with factory match ammo, but it has been more difficult to get hunting bullets that do better than 1/3 MOA.

1/3 MOA is the standard I am looking to beat because that is what my 270 WSM shoots.
Bought the Sauers to beat that.

So don't stop with half MOA, you can and will do better with your Fieldshoot if you try more bullets. Mine shine with 129-143 grain in a variety of bullets, 140 Accubond being one of the better ones.
Are you shooting three shot or five shots at 100. Mine are slightly under one half moa for five shots at around a minute time frame. I can do one quarter moa for three shots. Shoot five as fast as you can then measure.

Rosebud, shooting 5 as fast as you is exactly what you don't want to do, because shots 4 and 5 give you misleading data due to barrel warming. Those last two warm barrel shots don't yield any useful information for any big game hunting. Much more revealing is 5 cold fouled barrel shots fired at same target that give you a 5 shot average of what you can expect from your first cold barrel shot when hunting.

I no longer waste ammo on 100 yard testing because it is difficult to see any difference between one single hole group and another single hole group without measuring. Differences become clear at 200. Not unusual to get 3 shots under a dime with target bullets and under a quarter with hunting bullets. But these rifles are good enough that they are capable of putting 3 under quarter at 300 Yards, as you see below, 6.5 CM. And once in awhile when I don't drink alcohol the night before and skip the morning coffee and remember do my breath control technique, the Sauer is capable of this at 200 Yards, 30-06.

Attachments

• IMG_20201107_153319900_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201107_153319900_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • 20220101_105732.jpg
    20220101_105732.jpg
    736.6 KB · Views: 47
Rosebud, shooting 5 as fast as you is exactly what you don't want to do, because shots 4 and 5 give you misleading data due to barrel warming. Those last two warm barrel shots don't yield any useful information for any big game hunting. Much more revealing is 5 cold fouled barrel shots fired at same target that give you a 5 shot average of what you can expect from your first cold barrel shot when hunting.

I no longer waste ammo on 100 yard testing because it is difficult to see any difference between one single hole group and another single hole group without measuring. Differences become clear at 200. Not unusual to get 3 shots under a dime with target bullets and under a quarter with hunting bullets. But these rifles are good enough that they are capable of putting 3 under quarter at 300 Yards, as you see below, 6.5 CM. And once in awhile when I don't drink alcohol the night before and skip the morning coffee and remember do my breath control technique, the Sauer is capable of this at 200 Yards, 30-06.
I can get a group under a Quarter at any distance..... ! Doesn't mean the group itself is any good ....just means I always place the Quarter.....higher! 😊

Thank you for your learned advice, I'll give it all due dlligeance.