Legit 7mm short action

Threejs

I'm about to dive into something that will probably be a total bomb. I really want a 7mm short mag built on a short action. I would like a 7saum. Looking to shoot a 162 ELDx at 2900 or better. Can it be done and stay in a short action? Would a 7wsm be better?

Also there isn't crap for 7saum brass available so maybe the wsm is a better choice.

Thanks
Jer

I'm about to dive into something that will probably be a total bomb. I really want a 7mm short mag built on a short action. I would like a 7saum. Looking to shoot a 162 ELDx at 2900 or better. Can it be done and stay in a short action? Would a 7wsm be better?

Also there isn't crap for 7saum brass available so maybe the wsm is a better choice.

Thanks
Jer
Your best bet, IMO, is to build a 7ss which really is a short action and will out perform the Saum anyway. You can run 180's up to 3000' and 160 class over 3100'. I have head stamped brass (top quality), custom dies, and reamers to rent or buy. Check out my website at
shermanwildcatcartridges.com and give me a call if you want to chat.

I shoot a 7 SAUM built by RBros in a short action (even use AICS mags) with 180s at 2900 fps. It's incredibly accurate and a great shooting cartridge. Sure, you have to seat the bullets a little deeper, but that's not a big deal.

Thanks
Jer

Is there a particular reason why you are stuck on a short action? I don't really see the point of a short action. If you were set on a short action cartridge I personally use a Tikka as the donor. As others have stated the SS may be the best bet.

I would like to stay in a short action to keep weight and overall bulk in check. Also I have never ran a short action and kind of want to experiment with one. A 7ss does have my attention. Seems like there is more brass available for it than a saum

Adam ,,, that is true, Lazz 7.21 Tomahawk is easily the fastest short mag 7mm in the world ,,,, I plan to make another run of brass for these little firebreathers in about 20 months ,,,, but anyone who has one now, knows exactly how it performs ,,,, true 7mm rem mag performance+ in a short action rifle ,,,,

The standard 7 SAUM will do that without an issue. Just track down some Norma or ADG brass and you're good to go. There was some Norma brass for sale on here a few days later ago and ADG should have it available before you can have a gun built.

Sometimes the easiest solution is the best one.

WSM is not a better choice. Norma and ADG make 7 saum brass. I would use the 168 Bergers if I were you. I have (200) pieces of Norma brass if you want them.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.