Left eye dominate ?

Shoot with both eyes open. Best way to wash out your central eye and have some consistency. That being said, I maintain shooting with both hands, for pistols and carbines. Part of pie slicing on left side facing corners, some small spaces, as well as all the what if you get your arm blown to **** and all that jazz. Normally it doesn't matter if you do left or right hand, and you can switch eyes if you needed to for each arm, but if you're central eye is super over powering, try some dry fire for a few weeks using both eyes open. That could probably be a fix.

Last edited:
Both kids, my wife, and myself are left eye dominant and right handed. I taught them to all shoot lefthanded and they are all very good rifle and shotgun shooters. I was taught to shoot righthanded and did for 30 years. About 8 years ago I went lefthanded and can actually shoot a rifle and a bow better now. Still struggling with a shotgun.

For me the biggest reason to go all lefthanded rifles was a safety thing. I want the gases going away from the shooters face the way they were designed to do. Long odds of ever having an issue but if you do have an issue it could be a very bad one. Pretty easy to find lefthanded rifles anymore.

This is a big thing. When I noticed my wife switching eyes looking over a shotgun it hit me. I said what is your dominate eye. Left but she is right handed. So we switched all long gun shooting to Left hand and she said Ive never shot so well.

When Im instructing we check eye dominance of shooter first thing to make sure they have a successful class. Some are reluctant to switch but when they do its like wow.

Not Using your dominate eye Shooting through a scope is not as big of deal since most close an eye anyways. Shooting a shotgun when you should have both eyes open using your dominant eye is a big deal. You will shoot better and feel more natural using your dominant eye.

The kicker is if your left eye dominant but extremely right handed then it might be too hard for you to switch at this point and your best solution is to close your left eye and shoot righty.

My son was extremely right handed but left I dominant. I caught it when we was eight and made him shoot lefty. It was a wreck for the first year but he slowly got use to it and now he is an excellent shot with bows, shotgun, rifles all shooting lefty.

You will just have to try it out and put a concentrated effort and see how you feel about. Lots of times once you get past the mental barrier that you can't do it it's really not that hard to switch.

except in my case i could not close just my left eye.
i can blink right or both but not left only.
Not Using your dominate eye Shooting through a scope is not as big of deal since most close an eye anyways. Shooting a shotgun when you should have both eyes open using your dominant eye is a big deal. You will shoot better and feel more natural using your dominant eye.

The kicker is if your left eye dominant but extremely right handed then it might be too hard for you to switch at this point and your best solution is to close your left eye and shoot righty.

My son was extremely right handed but left I dominant. I caught it when we was eight and made him shoot lefty. It was a wreck for the first year but he slowly got use to it and now he is an excellent shot with bows, shotgun, rifles all shooting lefty.

You will just have to try it out and put a concentrated effort and see how you feel about. Lots of times once you get past the mental barrier that you can't do it it's really not that hard to switch.

I am right hand left eye, figured it out at around 8-10 years old from shotgun shooting instructor. Started shooting lefty then with right handed guns, gas operates semi auto shotguns are a problem with the gas blowback in my face, bolt rifles are fine. When I got older and could afford my own guns I began having left hand rifles built and sold all my right hands to my brother. I personally believe it would be worth switching especially now with so many companies supporting lefty's with reasonable prices rifles tikka, browning, Christenson to name a few. Or full custom with just almost all action manufacturers having lefty options now.

Left-eye dominant and right-handed here as well.....especially when shooting a pistol. Everyone I shoot with (in my profession) is aware of it, but every once in a while I'll have to "break in" a new Range Master who thinks I'm looking at the officers/deputies to the right of me during a course of fire when we're qualifying at the range. Kinda funny.
I'm able to look through a scope with my right eye with no problem......as long as I keep my left eye shut. Same when sighting down the barrel of a shot-gun. Trying to shoot anything with both eyes open only results in seeing 2 barrels, 2 front sights, etc....

It's very interesting to hear all this. I probably would never have even considered this, had I not made such a satisfying shot out of that guy's rifle without really being able to see the reticle. I know- I'll just start closing my eyes !! Seriously, tho, it really got me to thinking. There is always room for improvement.
Very few people realize this, but movie directors are crossed eyed dominant. Thats why us ordinary shooters can't dive and accurately shoot in mid air and hit all the bad guys on each side with our arms crossed while shooting 28 shoots out of each 10 round magazine. just remember to take shelter behind that sheet rock wall. ;)

I'm the same, left eye dominant, but I shoot right. Until starting prs where they like to make a person shoot support side, I never would've bothered to learn to shoot left, but now that I have, I shoot better with my left eye hands down. I still mainly shoot right, it's just so much more comfortable and faster for me

I too am left eye dominant but shoot right handed (except for sling shot, go figure). When I was active duty, CATM wanted me to shoot left handed. While I did better group wise, I did not do well in a timely manner transitioning from one position to the next because it was awkward. I stayed shooting right handed using my right eye. My challenge is that I only had LASIK procedure done on my left eye, my right eye remain not corrected as I need it for reading which is OK during rifle as I can adjust accordingly with the scope to see far. During archery season, I have to wear contact on my right eye to see through my peep sight. A friend is also trying to have me switched to a left handed bow. This might work and seriously considering it.

I too am left eye dominant but shoot right handed (except for sling shot, go figure). When I was active duty, CATM wanted me to shoot left handed. While I did better group wise, I did not do well in a timely manner transitioning from one position to the next because it was awkward. I stayed shooting right handed using my right eye. My challenge is that I only had LASIK procedure done on my left eye, my right eye remain not corrected as I need it for reading which is OK during rifle as I can adjust accordingly with the scope to see far. During archery season, I have to wear contact on my right eye to see through my peep sight. A friend is also trying to have me switched to a left handed bow. This might work and seriously considering it.
For whatever reason left handed bow comes more easily to me than left handed rifle.

AS A SIDE HUMOR story i shot in a three gun match( rifle pistol shotgun) where a stage was laid out with poor course instruction. it said for the rifle stage to engage the first three targets left handed. a buddy of mine and i looked at each other and chuckled. most of the shooters were trying to figure out how to shoot left. paper and cardboard in front of the eye was popular. then pull it out and switch hands. we simply shot the stage all left and came out 1/2. the CORRECT way to describe a course is strong hand/weak hand, not right or left.

I never did learn to shoot a left hand bow. Finally got rid of mine. Never tried to hard to learn. Probably spent more time learning to close either eye one at a time when I was a kid then trying to use a left hand bow when I was an adult! Never had a deer or pig care which way I shoot.

I am right eye dominant and had my right eye done with Lasik and left my left eye uncorrected. for the first several days my brain was still trying to have me read with my right eye, so I was amazed at the time it took to get used reading with my left eye. At first I would actually only be able to read a small amount at a time until I got used to it. I think if I had the non dominant left eye done with Lasik instead, reading would have been really easy with not a lot of an adjustment. But with my right eye done its better for me shooting and sports. I shoot right handed and am a righty in all sports but hockey..

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.