Eye Protection Reminder!

Muddyboots

We all need a OMG moment with eye protection just to kick us again in the backend. Weed whacking with muffs and amber safety glasses this morning. Stone hit my left lens so hard it kicked my head backšŸ˜±. Left me shaking fir second and also big sigh relief I took time to put PPE on. Sometimes we just grab stuff for a project and maybe skip that moment to grab safety gear. DON'T!!! Its that one time that will bite your butt.

So what is your OMG moment with PPE on or even crap wish I wore it!

Still got a rust stain in my iris from a metal chip kicked up from my air nozzle, cleaning off metal chips, with older style safety glasses. The more bug eye glasses at least give more protection.
Chip was removed with a strong magnet in ER. No other eye damage.

We all need a OMG moment with eye protection just to kick us again in the backend. Weed whacking with muffs and amber safety glasses this morning. Stone hit my left lens so hard it kicked my head backšŸ˜±. Left me shaking fir second and also big sigh relief I took time to put PPE on. Sometimes we just grab stuff for a project and maybe skip that moment to grab safety gear. DON'T!!! Its that one time that will bite your butt.

So what is your OMG moment with PPE on or even crap wish I wore it!
It always happens when you get hurt. I was in the safety field for over 30 years and I always heard this -It's the only time time I didn't. "Well I always were my PPE but this one time I was only going to do this for a minute and BAM" I have seen missing fingers, missing eyes, burns, cuts. It alway happens when the PPE was left for just a moment.

1 day in July 2003 Weed wacked all morning with googles.
Storm came up stopped, went out when storm was over, had less then 10 min to finish n left googles was back in in less then 5 minus an eye.
A. NO more Medical card for over 10000 gvw anything, in PA. Yes, sold truck n trailer.
B. NO more depth perception.
C. WEAR your hearing protection as well.
Thank you

Drilled my son for years to wear PPE. Hard not to since I retired as a Dir EHS for North America for a global company. Professional Auditor in EHS so see everything. Fortunately company strongly believed in EHS so failure to follow procedures and injuries were not tolerated. But even with all the training you give someone will just do a head scratcher and get hurt. Like everyone who gets hurt, I just did it for a second. That's the common thread in many cases.

When I was in 20's drilling out frame in my 64 Sport Fury for brackets for headers tip outs, drill bit was grabbed by frame shattered and hit my safety goggles I was wearing so I got a early teaching moment because I almost didn't wear them because it was 90+ degrees. The force of that drill bit piece hitting my goggles was sobering and it pitted the goggles. I often wonder how my life would have changed otherwise because it was right side of goggles for dominant eye.

Wife asked me to do some work on her shop and I forgot my googles, I thought aahh it'll be fine and I ended up with a face full of saw dust. It took a day and a half to fully rinse and wash it all out of my eyes, lets just say that ain't happening again. Leason learned

I get laughed at and ridiculed for wearing chain saw chaps, hard had, hearing protection..... even when using my weed trimmer. My hearing is not good due to being a logger/sawyer and fire fighter for the Forest Service in the late '60's and '70's before I was aware of hearing protection existence.

Different but ... My wife didn't bother to bolt the grinder to the bench since she 'only had to touch up one axe' prior to do some woodwork. Axe got caught up in the feltwheel, grinder fell from the bench and in a reflex the tried to catch it.

Nerves in her fingers will never be back. She quit playing viola da gamba (a type of cello) and sold the instrument that was specially build for her some years earlier.

Stay safe everyone.

BRICKLAYER's ACCIDENT REPORT TO INSURANCE CO.

Dear Insurance Adjuster:

I am writing in response to your request for additional information in block #3 of the accident reporting form. I put "poor planning" as the cause of my accident. You said in your letter that I should explain more fully "poor planning" and I trust that the following details will be sufficient.

I am a bricklayer by trade. On the day of my accident, I was working alone on the roof of a new six-story building. When I completed my work, I discovered that I had about 500 pounds of bricks left over. Rather than carry the bricks down by hand, I decided to "work smart" rather than "work hard" and run the risk of injuring myself. So, I decided to lower the bricks down in a barrel using a pulley, which was attached to the side of the building at the sixth floor.

Securing the rope at ground level. I went up to the roof, swung the barrel out and loaded the bricks into it. Then I went back to the ground and untied the rope, holding it tightly to insure a slow descent of the 500 pounds of bricks. You will note in block #11 of the reporting form that my weight is 155 pounds.

Due to my surprise at being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I proceeded at a rather rapid rate up the side of the building.

In the vicinity of the 3rd floor, I met the barrel, which was now proceeding in a downward direction at an equally impressive rate of speed. This explains the fractured skull, minor abrasions, and the broken collarbone, as listed in section *111 of the accident reporting form.

Slowed only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until the fingers of my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulley, which I mentioned in paragraph #2 of this correspondence.

Fortunately, by this time, I had regained my presence of mind and was able to hold tightly to the rope. In spite of the excruciating pain I was now beginning to experience.

At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of bricks hit the ground, and the bottom fell out of the barrel. Now devoid of the weight of the bricks, the barrel now weighed approximately 50 pounds.

I again refer to my weight in block #11. As you might imagine, I began a rapid descent down the side of the building.

In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for the two fractured ankles, broken tooth, and the severe lacerations of my legs and lower body.

Here, my luck began to change slightly, the encounter with the barrel seemed to slow me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell into the pile of bricks and, fortunately, only three vertebrae were cracked.

I am sorry to report, however, that as I lay there on the pile of bricks in pain, unable to move and watching the empty barrel six stories above me, I again lost my composure and presence of mind and let go of the rope.

I hope I can now get my check as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

John Smith

Claim #XVZ 23456

Choose The right ppe. Using an angle grinder, grinding just above head level. Had goggles no face shield. Punched myself in the teeth, grinder wheel just caught my left nostril above my mustache. Luckily small lacerations left little scars.
Flash forword 20 years, using a die grinder on cast iron wile wearing safety glasses and safety shield and got metal stuck in my eye.
All good now but after they blind you, put eye drops of sorts to relax your eye and pull the metal out. The sun is 10000 times brighter for a few days.
I'm fortunate to have good eye sight,decent hearing and all my fingers and toes.

I was a woodworking hobbyist for quite some time. Many delectate cuts on the table saw necessitated taking the blade guards off. Eventually they stayed off permanently. All was good until I was making a careful cut on a piece of walnut with my fingers close to the blade. The wood kicked back slightly while I was pushing forward. You can guess where my thumb ended up. When I saw an instant red stripe on the sheetrock ceiling I knew I was in trouble.

You just can't be too careful.

Good reminder. Always take the time to put on eye protection. Have had to get metal shards cut out of my eye twice in the last two years. First one being worse than the second, iris/cornea vs sclera portions of the eye. Have noticed that eye isn't as clear/sharp as my other anymore

Recent Posts