Left eye dominate ?

Gregg C

I shoot right handed. I am right handed, but left eye dominate. Had an uncle suggest I shoot left handed but I dismissed that as a PITA to learn. Couple weeks ago at the range a left handed shooter wanted to shoot my right handed semi custom, then wanted to let me shoot his left hand Blaser. I said sure, why not. Well, we messed with ocular some but I couldn't see the reticle clearly. So I drew bead on my target set up at 200yds...and drilled it dead center, 1 in high. Should I build a left hand rifle ? How many of you folks shoot opposite of your dominate eye? Inquiring minds want to know ?!

I'm a lefty that grew up only having access to right handed rifles and got used to shooting them as a lefty. Same as you would being left eye dominant. I now own a few lefty rifles and while they're comfortable to shoot, it feels weird to me to cycle a bolt on the left side and I actually prefer a right hand bolt and being able to see the chamber.

That said, my wife is a righty that's left eye dominant and she too prefers shooting lefty but with right hand rifles. The best of both worlds for us has been to get replacement stocks with a stock/cheek piece for a lefty that still cycles on the right. Boyds has been great for this and you can specify a LH stock for RH rifle.

Unless you have built up a LOT of time shooting behind your opposing eye I suggest shooting with your eye not your hand.

Having seen the improvements of someones shooting after switching to follow their eye I would suggest at the least buying a cheap lefty and trying it out. At the worst you go back to righty and have gained a skill for inopportune scenarios.

What kind of shooting do,you do? Elr,hunting? I am left handed and left eye dominant but have been practicing right handed shooting the last couple of years. It's great to be able to do both. Dropped a coyote at a little over 325 from my right side not long ago. No need to build a left hand custom yet. Just practice with what you already have. I shot right handed bolts for about 30 years before I ever owned a left bolt.

Here's another lefty that only shoots righty guns. Why fix it if it ain't broke?
Gregg C, have you tried shooting your RH guns lefty? Just curious.

I have not tried my rifles left handed. But I may give that a whirl. Seems like a good idea. I'm always wanting to improve my skill set in everything I do, so I can see myself doing something to explore this.
I don't hunt, anymore, but I love to shoot. My favorite thing is busting rocks cross canyons and such. Set a goal a long time ago, to get proficient enough to hit a target at one mile. Its quite a learning curve !

I shoot right handed. I am right handed, but left eye dominate. Had an uncle suggest I shoot left handed but I dismissed that as a PITA to learn. Couple weeks ago at the range a left handed shooter wanted to shoot my right handed semi custom, then wanted to let me shoot his left hand Blaser. I said sure, why not. Well, we messed with ocular some but I couldn't see the reticle clearly. So I drew bead on my target set up at 200yds...and drilled it dead center, 1 in high. Should I build a left hand rifle ? How many of you folks shoot opposite of your dominate eye? Inquiring minds want to know ?!

I think it is way easier to teach yourself to shoot in line with your dominant eye. I am left handed, right eye dominant, so I taught myself to shoot a rifle right handed - it is super natural for me. My son is the opposite, right handed but left eye dominant - I started him shooting BB guns left handed right out of the gates. Now that is was feels natural to him.

In his book "Long Range Shooting Handbook" Ryan Cleckner says that according to all the tests he has ever seen he is left eye dominate but shoots right handed. He also says that when a student is having an issue they just can't seem to overcome in their shooting form he will have them switch sides and their shooting nearly always shows immediate improvement. Based on all his experience he does not believe that eye dominance plays a very big role in accuracy with a rifle.

There are quite a few F-Class shooters that use a rifle that is "wrong handed" for them. This way they don't move the rifle as much when manipulating the bolt.

I'd say switch....I'm right handed, left eye dominate. I switched when young shooting archery, and have never regretted it, and start my children shooting with dominant eye. Like others said its normal to them after a bit. I notice it way more swinging a bat left handed, and shooting clays......while I can connect either way, my connection percentage is higher left. It might not be "broke" right now, but it may get better.........I also shoot right handed rifle left. Shoot your own guns left before spending money on building one!

It's very interesting to hear all this. I probably would never have even considered this, had I not made such a satisfying shot out of that guy's rifle without really being able to see the reticle. I know- I'll just start closing my eyes !! Seriously, tho, it really got me to thinking. There is always room for improvement.

in a word
MAYBE
you can get left hand stocks for right bolt guns
that is one options
the other is yes!
i am right hand and left eye dom. also
i did both, i shot left for over 40 years
rifle and shot gun left hand, pistols right hand.
( then i lost the use of my left eye and have spent 3 years
trying to teach my right eye how to behave on a scope.
i have not given up actually building another rifle right now)

I have always determined my children's and grandchildren's dominant eye, as soon as they were old enough for me to assess with certainty which eye it is, before beginning to teach them to shoot. So far, all of mine have been same hand as eye dominant. I have mostly righthand grandchildren with one exception, my only granddaughter is a southpaw. Both the oldest daughter and my son, the youngest, are leftys. The two middle daughters are righthanded I have plenty of 22s, shotguns and centerfire rifles in left and right hand for all of them! No matter what hand they are, I will always teach them to shoot with whichever hand matches their dominant eye. Just start teaching them young enough that they never realize there was any other way!

I'm another righty that is left eye dominant. I shot righty until I was in high school and than figured out I should shoot lefty. I started out with a 22 and shooting ground squirrels. I was amazed at how much better I could hit, especially with a shotgun. I picked up running a bolt left handed like it was second nature. I'm a little different that my right eye is bad enough that I have a hard time seeing out of it, so that may have made the switch easier. Another thing to note is there isn't a lot of factory options in lefty at times.

idcwby

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.