Eye Dominance

Thanks for all the great info guys. The more I read about it, the more I'm comfortable with teaching this young person to shoot left handed. Hope everyone has a great Labor Day weekend.

Justin

My 12 yo daughter is left eye dom, I just had her pick between shooting left handed or right. She shot left handed for awhile but ultimately choose to shoot right handed.

I wasn't sure where to put this so its here for now, do any of you know someone that is right handed and left eye dominant? If so, how do they shoot?
I'm right-handed but left-eye dominant, and I shoot left-hand rifles. They should more properly be called left-eyed rifles in my opinion, since that's what really matters. Ambidextrous operation of the trigger and bolt is easy.

Im right handed but left eye dominant as well. I still shoot right handed just close your left eye. I agree with the previous post of whichever is the most comfortable. My best friend is right handed and left eye dominant but shoots all his right handed rifles left handed and can tap anything lights out and work the bolt as fast as anyone. IMO whatever is more comfortable.

In the long run, I think everyone is best served to learn to shoot rifle/pistol/shotgun both right and left handed with both eyes open.

There may just come a day in the deer blind, pickup truck, or self defense when you need to be comfortable shooting with the weak hand.

But starting out, you need to go with the advice given numerous times above which is to let the dominant eye decide so that he can develop confidence.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.