Lead Poisoning

If you want narrow wound channels, shoot 100% copper.

I'll keep shooting eldm's.
Nonsense. Up to a point very true but nonsense if applied across the board. Load a 200 grain Barnes tsx in a .308 and yeah it's gonna basically be an FMJ. Load the 120 Barnes tac tx meant for the blackout to 4050 fps like I do in a .300 win mag and it does a kind of violence that my also excellent 225 eld m load in that cartridge doesn't come close too regarding breadth of wounding at normal ranges (inside 500 yards)

But talk is cheap and a picture is worth 1000 words…would you describe this as "narrow wounding"?

From a doe hit with said 120 at 160 yards or so. Exit wound I could put my fist into and I don't have small hands. Instant DRT with no direct CNS hit, just so much instant trauma as to shut the nervous system down.

One size does not fit all, and I have no use for monos in moderate cartridges at moderate to slow speeds for the exact same reason as you. But monos with deliberately lower sectional density relative to expected target resistance going as fast as possible have a "struck by ligntning" effect that I've never seen once with conventional heavier lead core bullets on non CNS hits. Just my .02.

Attachments

• 5607627F-14FD-41E7-AAE6-9CAAF15D4147.png
    5607627F-14FD-41E7-AAE6-9CAAF15D4147.png
    624.1 KB · Views: 46
What bullet out of what cartridge?

I see no reason to shoot a magnum when I could get this with a 140gr eldm from a "puny" 6.5 creed...
20221022_162813.jpg

That's with the shattered front shoulder removed. Some how got through the bulletproof shoulder.

20221011_160640.jpg

Another elk shoulder vs 140gr eldm.

0 Reason to use copper bullets.

Reason: because I want to
Reason: because they have given me good terminal results
Reason: because they shoot good in my rifle
Reason: because I have had lead bullet failures

Reason not to: because I don't want to
Reason not to: because I don't want to change
Reason not to: because they don't shoot good in my rifle
Reason not to: because I have had copper bullet failures
Reason not to: because I just have an emotional reaction to copper bullets 😉

We all have our reasons for what we do. Fine if there's "0" for you. Fine if there's 50 reasons for another.

Nonsense. Up to a point very true but nonsense if applied across the board. Load a 200 grain Barnes tsx in a .308 and yeah it's gonna basically be an FMJ. Load the 120 Barnes tac tx meant for the blackout to 4050 fps like I do in a .300 win mag and it does a kind of violence that my also excellent 225 eld m load in that cartridge doesn't come close too regarding breadth of wounding at normal ranges (inside 500 yards)

But talk is cheap and a picture is worth 1000 words…would you describe this as "narrow wounding"?

From a doe hit with said 120 at 160 yards or so. Exit wound I could put my fist into and I don't have small hands. Instant DRT with no direct CNS hit, just so much instant trauma as to shut the nervous system down.

One size does not fit all, and I have no use for monos in moderate cartridges at moderate to slow speeds for the exact same reason as you. But monos with deliberately lower sectional density relative to expected target resistance going as fast as possible have a "struck by ligntning" effect that I've never seen once with conventional heavier lead core bullets on non CNS hits. Just my .02.
But @Calvin45 what do you load in the .270 🤣
Just kidding, I want to know about that 120 Tac-x in 300 WM. Got a 24 inch M70 might want to give it a try.

Reason: because I want to
Reason: because they have given me good terminal results
Reason: because they shoot good in my rifle
Reason: because I have had lead bullet failures

Reason not to: because I don't want to
Reason not to: because I don't want to change
Reason not to: because they don't shoot good in my rifle
Reason not to: because I have had copper bullet failures
Reason not to: because I just have an emotional reaction to copper bullets 😉

We all have our reasons for what we do. Fine if there's "0" for you. Fine if there's 50 reasons for another.
Woah woah woah! If we used this logic you basically put an end to 75% of online forum topics and nobody would have anybody to talk about!!!

From the Sierra Club article: "The Sierra Club supports an assault weapons ban, stricter gun control laws including background checks, and banning lead in ammunition."
Here's the link. No need to tag me or reference me. I'm done here. If or when I need non lead bullets I'll get them else where.

Wow very disappointing to say the least.

With the last statement made in this post. I do got to ask. Will this be the next bird killer ? Do we know these same birds don't regurgitate the lead pellets, just as the copper ? Not looking to be confrontational. But they state this in the article. And I could see this being used against copper bullets next time they want to ban shooting of any sorts. They don't know the long term effects as of now. But give them time. And I bet it won't be good.

Based on the parameters we measured, ingested Cu pellets pose little threat to American kestrels (and presumably phylogenetically related species), although the retention time of pellets in the stomach was of relatively short duration. Birds expected to regurgitate Cu fragments with a frequency similar to kestrels are not likely to be adversely affected by Cu ingestion, but the results of our study do not completely rule out the potential for toxicity in species that might retain Cu fragments for a longer time.

I've generally avoided Steve's posts because of the personal attacks made against anyone that doesn't agree with the Hammer crowd. But in this obvious attack on lead bullets someone needs to speak up.
Interesting thing, I've sat down and talked with Steve many times and I'm about as big a Berger fan as you'll find and Steve and I have gone back and forth on bullets many, many times over the years. Never lead to anything personal.
I personally would like to be able to get a raptor tag and I pretty much class them with coyotes BUT there are people who feel different and that's OK. There is no doubt lead poisoning occurs, it's really just a fact so I don't know why it's an issue having what I watched was a very, very mellow balanced view point on the subject.
If we keep dividing into extreme camps there won't be anyone in the middle, that video was center line for me, kinda bristled me up, kinda made me think, I saw no propaganda, I did see some people taking care of some birds which is one of the jobs given to man kind from the begining right.
Not going to judge someone for that and they should have a voice, if we silence or shout down other people because we're to afraid to allow a conversation then we have become what we fear!!

With the last statement made in this post. I do got to ask. Will this be the next bird killer ? Do we know these same birds don't regurgitate the lead pellets, just as the copper ? Not looking to be confrontational. But they state this in the article. And I could see this being used against copper bullets next time they want to ban shooting of any sorts. They don't know the long term effects as of now. But give them time. And I bet it won't be good.

Based on the parameters we measured, ingested Cu pellets pose little threat to American kestrels (and presumably phylogenetically related species), although the retention time of pellets in the stomach was of relatively short duration. Birds expected to regurgitate Cu fragments with a frequency similar to kestrels are not likely to be adversely affected by Cu ingestion, but the results of our study do not completely rule out the potential for toxicity in species that might retain Cu fragments for a longer time.
It very well could be

Interesting thing, I've sat down and talked with Steve many times and I'm about as big a Berger fan as you'll find and Steve and I have gone back and forth on bullets many, many times over the years. Never lead to anything personal.
I personally would like to be able to get a raptor tag and I pretty much class them with coyotes BUT there are people who feel different and that's OK. There is no doubt lead poisoning occurs, it's really just a fact so I don't know why it's an issue having what I watched was a very, very mellow balanced view point on the subject.
If we keep dividing into extreme camps there won't be anyone in the middle, that video was center line for me, kinda bristled me up, kinda made me think, I saw no propaganda, I did see some people taking care of some birds which is one of the jobs given to man kind from the begining right.
Not going to judge someone for that and they should have a voice, if we silence or shout down other people because we're to afraid to allow a conversation then we have become what we fear!!
Very well said